PDA

View Full Version : Not prepared

CookieCutter
24-06-2013, 08:38 AM
I've only been registered for about 2 weeks, and I've been reading everything on here to prepare myself for taking on some little ones, but it never popped into my head that my first mindee might only be a 1 or 2 day cover for another childminder. I'm not sure what should be different about taking on a short term contract over a long term contract.

I've just received my MM contracts, would I need to use one of these? I feel like it's an awful lot to go through with a parent who only needs me for a day or 2, not to mention they're a bit pricey. Would I need to have permissions signed, or should I just refrain from taking pictures, going on the bus, and other things requiring permission? What do I do about payment?

I'm sure there are more things I should be asking, but I can't think or anything else. Any advice on short term contracts will be gratefully received!

mama2three
24-06-2013, 08:44 AM
I don't use full contracts , I have written my own temporary ones. If you use the search box you should find threads with examples , mine is on there somewhere! I do get all my permissions signed though . hth.

Melanyweb
24-06-2013, 08:52 AM
If this was me I'd take payment in advance and do my own info sheet for parent to fill out. The info sheet would include address, who has parental responsibility, doctors details and vaccinations, allergies and a section for any other other info that parent feels you should know.
I'd get a medical consent signed and give mum a copy of my safeguarding policy to read and sign.
Someone who's more business minded than me be able to offer more help. Lol.

tulip0803
24-06-2013, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't use my full contracts for this. Like Mama2three I have written a basic ad-hoc contract which I would use and then if the childminder is off again I still have a valid contract. In this contract I state that I can only offer care if a space is available. Payment cost per hour and payment in advance. Both the parents and myself sign.

I get all permissions, child record/info, first aid, emergency care forms etc as I would do with a full contract. I give parents my copy of my P&Ps and get them to sign to say that they have read and understand them.

Like melanyweb I would take money on booking (in advance)

bunyip
24-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Remember that a short-term contract means one that will last for a month or less then be finished. If you're likely to be providing this sort of cover on future occasions, then a longer-term 'ad hoc' contract may be more suited.

Remember you still need the permissions and child information as detailed in EYFS.

IMHO printed pro-forma contracts and similar stationery can be a worthwhile investment, especially when you're getting started. I'd say a £ or 2 is well spent as an alternative to drawing up a potentially worthless contract of one's own. However, I fully understand what you mean: it's a disproportionately high cost for short-term/ad hoc clients. You could help cover the cost by applying a sign-up/admin charge, or apply an enhanced fee for this type of care. :thumbsup: