PDA

View Full Version : Tax return

Smileyface
23-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Hello I'm just sitting here thinking I must do my tax return just wondering how long they take? Started work in aug so will be aug - April I haven't put down expenditure do just earning...
This is my firs tax return..
Thank you

Smileyface
23-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Also any tips would be great thank you guys and girls x

moggy
23-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Have you used an account book like the NCMA/Pacey one? I use that one and i find it makes it really simple as at the end you fill in the boxes and type the numbers from the boxes directly into the tax return online, it is all explained really easily.
You must have had expenses- ICO fees, any course fees (food hygiene, first aid), stationery, food for children, any equipment? It is really important to record you expenses against you income to minimise your tax bill.
Good luck with it. Once you have your final numbers ready it does not take too long to complete online but you need your income from all sources such as investments/property etc etc. You can save and come back to it on line too.

sarah707
23-06-2013, 07:49 PM
2 documents that will help you to do your tax return -

tax information IR (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/taxinformationforchildmind.html)

expenses and tax - by Sarah (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/taxinformation.html)

I did mine yesterday so I am feeling really smug right now :D

Bluebell
23-06-2013, 08:04 PM
I'd set aside a good few hours or maybe even a day for your first tax return. You want to get every bank statement, receipt, invoice, every expense together. Then you want to get all your income information - any invoices you've sent out, copies of receipts and make sure they tally with your income records and bank statements.
If you keep it altogether and make a note as you go along then it shouldn't be too long but if you 're like me it may take longer. I learnt from last year to print off online purchase invoices as I went along and keep all receipts in the same place in a box. I thought i was religious in writing all income down but double checking against my bank statements and receipts book I realised I'd missed quite a few!
I haven;t done the online bit yet but that doesn't take long so long as you are already registered for the online system.
also make sure that if you had another job prior to august then you will need your P45 to record your income and tax payments from that too.