PDA

View Full Version : Paid towards following year (2012-2013) already but calculation shows I owe

nessynoodle
23-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I hope this isn't too confusing, it is for me!!

So I filed my 2011-2012 return in January, last minute as usual! Anyway I paid all of my tax plus £800 towards 2012-2013 with another payment due in July 2013. As July is fast approaching and I know I didn't earn as much during this tax year I wanted to file my return now in the hope that perhaps this upcoming payment would be reduced or I would perhaps get a rebate.

Having worked it all out roughly I wanted to view my calculation before doing it properly and submitting. So I worked out my income and estimated my expenses. It came out as £1500 ish to pay for 2012-2013. I am now worrying that this figure will be on top of the £800 odd I have already paid and the next £800 coming out in july?!! or will I get a rebate of roughly £100 for the difference?

It isn't very clear on the self-assessment, it seems to have changed with a lot more confusing questions which I don't know are relevant to me or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Maybe some of you have done the payment in advance towards the next year before and know a bit more about how this works when you come to actually submitting your return?

Thanks in advance!!

The Juggler
23-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Normally, you would pay the bill in full (i.e. the other half), then submitting your correct tax return then the rebate will come afterwards or be taken off your next bill.

you may be able to sort something sooner if you speak to them at the tax office though. :thumbsup:

christine e
23-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Think this was the same for me last year. If I remember correctly they adjusted the amount I owed a couple of days after I had submitted my tax return - I would leave a few days then go online and see if the amount you owe has been adjusted.

Chatterbox Childcare
23-06-2013, 03:18 PM
I think you will have a £100 credit but you will still have to pay half again on account so Jan 13 would be £650 and £750 in July in advance for next year

nessynoodle
23-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Ok thank you everyone. That is what I was hoping.

What is the cut off point for paying in advance...I mean I didn't have to pay in advance when I first started minding and didn't earn as much.

Thanks