PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have a facebook childminding account

Npg1
23-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Just looking into this rather than doing a newsletter, seems like a good idea but how would I go about it?

cazbo05
23-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Just looking into this rather than doing a newsletter, seems like a good idea but how would I go about it?

Hi I have just started a page for childminding, so I have my normal facebook and a separate page for childminding. I have just created permission forms for parents asking if they want their child's face to not be shown on photos ( will take pics from behind or over) and will also use nicknames for children rather than their real name. It is quite easy to set up. Look at mine if you like Caterpillar childminding :)

lynncjt
23-06-2013, 01:27 PM
I have a FB page, and post pictures of the children on it with the parents permission. I have also set another FB 'person' so if a parent wants to be friends I use that account rather than my personal one.

My parents love it and I also get a lot of esquires through it as well.

If you want to look my page is 'AskLynn 4 Childminding (Childminder)' and my FB 'person' is 'AskLynn Childminder (Peterhead)'

Minimonkeys
23-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi I have one for my business too, just need parental permission to put photos on. Ofsted thought it was a great idea for communication with parents, and I just make sure I have maximum privacy on it. Xx

Wheelybug
23-06-2013, 01:52 PM
I also have a Facebook page for my childminding. Parents love it, but its also a way to share ideas and chat with other child carers. Mine is here: https://www.facebook.com/CathysChildminding?ref=hl The only thing I would say is be careful about what you add to it at first. Once you start doing it, parents kind of expect it and then its something else that takes you away from your own family. I think it makes a nice record as well for when Ofsted visit, but as has already been said, you just need to get parents permission for the photos.

Cathy x.

Supernanny86
23-06-2013, 01:59 PM
I have one too and privacy is set to highest. It's obviously with parents permission but its just me and her on there. It's a great way for her to see what were up to whilst she's at work!! :)

twiggy
23-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I have just created a Facebook page with all privacy settings, I don't put pictures of the children, but do put pictures of the things we have made on it. I'm also careful not to mention where we are going as a friend of mine was told by her development worker that this could put children at risk.

primula
23-06-2013, 09:24 PM
I also have a Facebook page for my childminding. Parents love it, but its also a way to share ideas and chat with other child carers. Mine is here: https://www.facebook.com/CathysChildminding?ref=hl The only thing I would say is be careful about what you add to it at first. Once you start doing it, parents kind of expect it and then its something else that takes you away from your own family. I think it makes a nice record as well for when Ofsted visit, but as has already been said, you just need to get parents permission for the photos.

Cathy x.

Just had a look at your facebook page! Lots of lovely photos! some new ideas to try out too!

samb
24-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Do those of you who use Facebook for childminding purposes have a group page or a profile page? What's the advantages of each?

kellyskidz!
24-06-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a Facebook profile account and I do put pictures on but I black out the children's faces or take pictures of just their hands doing an activity or something. I add parents to that profile but then delete them when their child leaves because its not really relevant to them. I update my status with things like 'Peppa Pig will be at playgroup today' just to keep parents aware, even though I will tell them in person. The way I see it is the majority of people have Facebook now and it's a form of communication, especially for younger mums ( not to be ageist lol:blush:) but I have found the older mums prefer paper related communication or verbal, but younger ones have actually said if you Facebook me it I'll remember lol!xx

singingcactus
24-06-2013, 11:41 AM
I have one, it's a profile page. I put on pictures of stuff we have done, invitations to play, activities etc but never pics of the kids. I don't post up about where we are going, regular groups or anything that would allow us to be intercepted by nefarius characters. I always post in retrospect not advance.
I have just added a page for each of my empathy dolls to my childminding page too, will see how they go. Got to set up blog pages for them too, which I will link to the fb pages.
I use my childminding fb page a lot, for informing parents, chatting with other providers, being in childcare groups, and other networking. I also have a pinterest and an instagram account tied to that profile. (I have a different pinterest and instagram account tied to my personal page).

kellyskidz!
24-06-2013, 11:45 AM
I have one, it's a profile page. I put on pictures of stuff we have done, invitations to play, activities etc but never pics of the kids. I don't post up about where we are going, regular groups or anything that would allow us to be intercepted by nefarius characters. I always post in retrospect not advance.
I have just added a page for each of my empathy dolls to my childminding page too, will see how they go. Got to set up blog pages for them too, which I will link to the fb pages.
I use my childminding fb page a lot, for informing parents, chatting with other providers, being in childcare groups, and other networking. I also have a pinterest and an instagram account tied to that profile. (I have a different pinterest and instagram account tied to my personal page).

Totally off topic but how do the children find empathy dolls? I'm wanting to buy a life sized girl for here but am very fuzzy on the details of the course I did about 5 years ago! Are the dolls a regular part of the day, do children take them home sometimes? Thanks in advance :) xx

singingcactus
24-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Totally off topic but how do the children find empathy dolls? I'm wanting to buy a life sized girl for here but am very fuzzy on the details of the course I did about 5 years ago! Are the dolls a regular part of the day, do children take them home sometimes? Thanks in advance :) xx

The kids here adore Hunter and Pip. They are having a teaparty with them right now, and reading stories with them. They treat them like they are other kids, whilst also knowing they are dolls. Hunter especially comes all over with us. He goes on sleep overs with them too. The parents have all got on board with them too. They have their own pegs, all about me books, signing in photo, toothbrush, drinking glass etc. Where I have photos of the kids on the walls I also have pics of Hunter and Pip.

Hunter is the better accepted of the two, I spent more time and effort embedding him in, and he is a 2 year old boy like the boys I have here. Whereas Pip is a 10 month old baby girl, who doesn't do a whole lot cos she is so young. When all my kids leave next week I am going to rewrite Pips back story and have her as a 15 month old I think. I have a little girl starting in september too so I think she will get more from Pip than the boys do.

kellyskidz!
24-06-2013, 12:31 PM
The kids here adore Hunter and Pip. They are having a teaparty with them right now, and reading stories with them. They treat them like they are other kids, whilst also knowing they are dolls. Hunter especially comes all over with us. He goes on sleep overs with them too. The parents have all got on board with them too. They have their own pegs, all about me books, signing in photo, toothbrush, drinking glass etc. Where I have photos of the kids on the walls I also have pics of Hunter and Pip.

Hunter is the better accepted of the two, I spent more time and effort embedding him in, and he is a 2 year old boy like the boys I have here. Whereas Pip is a 10 month old baby girl, who doesn't do a whole lot cos she is so young. When all my kids leave next week I am going to rewrite Pips back story and have her as a 15 month old I think. I have a little girl starting in september too so I think she will get more from Pip than the boys do.

Fab, deffo going to get us one of those! Excited now :)

kayz90
19-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Yes i have a facebook page i have had a couple of enquirys through it but would love to know how to get my page out there more any ideas???? check it out https://www.facebook.com/#!/KayleesKiddiesChildminding

thanks kaylee :)

Samijanec
19-08-2013, 07:52 PM
I have a Facebook page, had quite a few enquiries from it.. :)

karensmart4
19-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I have one too... LittleImps Childminding... I only put my own families photos on, and I normally say where we've been.. what we have done... a bit of planning etc along with various pictures. People seem to like it and I enjoy showing some of my work off :)

shortstuff
19-08-2013, 11:31 PM
I also have one. Its embedded on to my site too. Im not sure which gets me found as all I get told is about my site x I am very proud of it though. I cant advertise it here though as the man who can has a backlog so adding a link is on the back burner for now x

benandjerrys
20-08-2013, 06:56 AM
If no pics are put on can the FB group not be open? Especially for advertising?

shortstuff
20-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Mine is open as I dont put any updates on which relate to any children, only activities. Photos are the same, I take pics of completed things like artwork or jigsaws x

Samijanec
20-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Mine is open as I dont put any updates on which relate to any children, only activities. Photos are the same, I take pics of completed things like artwork or jigsaws x

This is what I do, I have an open one that is full of what we have done and pics of backs of heads of children doing things and then I have a totally closed one that is just for parents, their family and so on. This one I put up coming events on and pics that the parents can copy. Hey have all given permission for this page.