PDA

View Full Version : Charging parents mileage

jax clinch
23-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately a child I mind hasn't got into the village school I pick up from but has got into one about 7 miles away. She finishes half an hour before the school I pick up from so I have said I will try picking her up for term and see if it works out. It's not everyday and her parents desperately want her and her brother to stay with me. It will mean though me making a journey I wouldn't normally make so will incur charges. The parents haven't mentioned paying mileage but will have to. How do I go about asking for mileage costs and how much is a reasonable amount to ask for?? Thanks

Rick
23-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately a child I mind hasn't got into the village school I pick up from but has got into one about 7 miles away. She finishes half an hour before the school I pick up from so I have said I will try picking her up for term and see if it works out. It's not everyday and her parents desperately want her and her brother to stay with me. It will mean though me making a journey I wouldn't normally make so will incur charges. The parents haven't mentioned paying mileage but will have to. How do I go about asking for mileage costs and how much is a reasonable amount to ask for?? Thanks

You can't ask parents to pay mileage....this makes you a taxi service. You can only put it on expenses or possibly charge a bit extra travelling time i.e. contracted hours slightly increased to account for the extra time it takes you.

sarahmc
23-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I do this too. I charge from when I leave home to collect the child, it's about half an hour earlier to allow for travel and parking etc and I feel that covers the mileage. Parents were happy to do this as like you wanted me to continue to care for the child.

bunyip
23-06-2013, 11:27 AM
I would work out a flat fee for the job and charge that without breaking down all the why's and wherefore's.

As mentioned, you can't charge for petrol/travel without running the risk of your LA demanding you licence as a taxi service with appropriate fees, insurance, etc.

If you increase the contracted hours to allow for your outward journey, the parents could insist you've agreed to have the child at that time - especially if things ever start to get ugly: clients have a way of looking for this sort of thing when they're not getting their own way, and you cannot assume there'll never be a disagreement.

tulip0803
23-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I did this temporarily for a friend and I made a contract that stated a set fee for the afterschool period which included the mileage but didn't state mileage was included. IYSWIM.

QualityCare
23-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I do the same as sarahmc and charge from when l leave home, l tell all the parents this no matter where the school is and whether l walk or take the car no one has ever questioned it.

Allie
23-06-2013, 04:57 PM
I charge an inconvenience payment on top of normal rate as I hate schoolruns. Not sure if its right but works for me

yummyripples
23-06-2013, 05:36 PM
I think you will regret doing this. It will mean less time for the under 5s at home and more time for them in the car x

jax clinch
24-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I think you will regret doing this. It will mean less time for the under 5s at home and more time for them in the car x

I have said I will give it to Christmas and see how it works out. It's not going to be everyday, maybe 2 days a week and some days the only other under 5 will be her brother and he would have to do the journey even if it wasn't me! I can imagine in the summer it will be ok but in the winter it may not be so pleasant getting in and out the car. See how it goes x