PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone now want me on my new planned day off

Pixie dust
22-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Have recently lost my only permanent Monday mindee so decided I wouldn't take any one else on and keep Mondays to catch up with paperwork/housework etc so I don't spend all week-end doing it as the rest of the week things are pretty full on with 4 most mornings due to continuity of care for sibling baby. I have one family that sometimes needs me for a few hours on a Monday due to shift work which I will continue to do as it's only now and then. Now one of my old families who went on maternity leave wanted to come back on a Monday but said no (don't think they were too happy but they left until the week before they were due to return to work expecting me to say yes!!!) then have taken on 2 schoolies for the summer hols who wanted Monday but again said no so mum managed to change her hours with work and now just had an email from one of my current parents now wanting extra hours including a Monday:( I appreciate the fact that I am lucky to be so busy but was looking forward to having some free time on a Monday. It's getting harder and harder to say no.

Just needed to write it down and have a little moan not expecting a response.

Mouse
22-06-2013, 09:37 AM
I've been the same, except I have a Friday off. I have had so many people (current & new mindees) wanting a Friday, but I hold fast & say no. If they really want you, they always find a way of working round it.

I am full & turning work away, so it's not done me any harm.

vals
22-06-2013, 10:13 AM
I said no to someone recently and it made me feel really good! hehe. parent constantly messing me about, came so close to giving them notice. so on wednesday evening when they said they didn't need me friday, but on thursday evening they changed their mind, I said no, its too late. I need to learn to say no more often, putting my sanity before my desire for more money. Not easy sometimes, but has to be done.

Daisy De
22-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Stick to your guns Pixie, I always used to have Fridays off and absolutely loved it.

Then one of my regulars wanted Fridays and I said yes consoling myself that it was temporary, lo is lovely and it would just be me and him so nice one to one time. Now its permanent and I have 2 more here and another wanting change of hours under continuity of care.

I thought it would be temporary for initial lo and because of my big mouth my lovely Friday is just a distant memory.

Oh the money is coming in but does it make up for that lovely Thursday night feeling that I have a three day weekend every week, in my case it doesn't. :(

Joda
22-06-2013, 01:56 PM
There's no way I would give up my day off now as I enjoy it too much (not that I actually get anything done!). I met up with 2 friends in Starbucks for a spontaneous coffee and catch up last week - definitely not something I would do if I was working - it was great!
I occasionally work on my day off due to one of the parents doing shift work but I make it very clear to new parents that I have a day off in the week. One set of parents keeps asking me to change my day off to suit them but I've said no (although they keep asking me if I've changed my mind!).
Having a day off means I can plan appointments etc without having to do everything at the weekend.