PDA

View Full Version : Socket covers

munch149
21-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Now I know it has been suggested that socket covers are not needed and can make sockets more unsafe and I haven't used them however...

Today a child has stuck something in the socket and although nothing happened it scared me to death and the thought of what may have will give me nightmares

The socket covers are now in.

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance not using them and how to stop a further event. The children were all in the room with me I was just sorting out another child so it can obviously happen so quickly.

clareelizabeth1
21-06-2013, 02:59 PM
I use socket covers but I knit and dread to think what would happen if they poked one of them down there.

rosebud
21-06-2013, 03:01 PM
I still use them as I remember poking a long metal stick in one as a child (It was taken from a dolls cot which would never happen nowadays) Luckily it was turned off but I never forgot the telling off I got from my petrified mother and never did it again after that!

sarah707
21-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Socket covers info from Ofsted

Page 11 - Ofsted | Early years: September 2011 (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/early-years-september-2011) -

Sept 2011 copy of Ofsted’s document ‘Early years inspection and regulation’ -

Childcare safety issue – electrical socket covers

Some inspectors are continuing to make judgements about risks to children when inspecting childcare settings where the provider has decided not to use electrical socket covers on exposed sockets.

Our position on the use of electrical socket covers has not changed. We neither encourage nor discourage the responsible use of socket covers as part of a risk-assessed approach to electrical safety. In line with the relevant requirements for registration, it is up to each individual registered provider to demonstrate to us that the environment is safe for children and meets legal requirements. It is for the provider to decide, as part of the risk assessment they carry out at their premises, how best to protect children from any dangers associated with electric sockets and appliances.

Inspectors should not set actions or make recommendations in relation to the use of socket covers and should not refer specifically to these in their reports. If a provider is unsure whether or not to use socket covers and asks our advice, we should refer them to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) and Child Accident Protection Trust websites for information to help them make a decision about the use of socket covers and the type of sockets considered as ‘safe’.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I spoke to 3 electricians about socket covers and was told by each of them for the socket to be live something has to be put in all three holes. I don't use them and explained why to my inspector and she was happy with it.

rickysmiths
21-06-2013, 03:40 PM
To add to chatterbox childcare. There is nothing that the children have un supervised that would fit in the hole of a socket anyway in my house. The manufacture Socket covers is un regulated and having seen some awful ones from a very well know baby store recently I would never use them.

jackie 7
21-06-2013, 04:48 PM
If the plug is switch on the socket is live and dangerous. They were invented by a company to make money. There is NO kite mark. I don't use them and always switch them off. There is a policy on the non use of docket covers on resources. Well worth reading.