PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare school run!

sunview_cm
21-06-2013, 12:28 PM
This morning was a nightmare. One of mindees decided to take in upon himself to run off after a friend on the way to school this morning. He was so quick I couldn't stop him, I was shouting his name and calling him. With him running off the other children thought it was alright to run off so I'm trying to round up the 3 and 4 years olds to walk faster so I can go after the other children that have ran off and not listening to me. I was so cross! It's a long path all the way to school gate no roads or anything but still! When I eventually got hold of them I certainly told them how upset I was at their behaviour. They will be banded from the computer after school but what more can I do!? They know what I expect of them we have discussed it and discussed it! I have text all mums this morning to inform them of the incident and that I have spoken to their children and asked them to do the same , but it leaves me looking totally incompetent! But what more can I do!? If they don't listen to me! They are old enough to know better and I can only do so much!!
I'm even thinking of giving up the wrap around care and concentrating on the eyfs children but don't think I can afford to!

funemnx
21-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Poor you, a stressfull start to the day!:(

I have this problem too and no matter how many times you tell them not to run off as the little ones will follow, they just don't remember - and you know they can hear you when you shout but it doesn't make them stop! Plus I really don't want to be heard shouting at children in my care every morning through the village....

I keep children up to age 4 on walking reins and even longer if I know they'll run off, they have to show that they can be safe and be trusted not to run away. The older ones are threatened with walkiing reins and I WILL follow through if I need to, usually the threat is enough to make them calm down. I still find I get stressed and need a strong coffee when I get back home!

If you find a way to solve this problem, let me know :)

Nicola Carlyle
21-06-2013, 01:22 PM
I am thinking about getting a long rope which handles attached to it for my troops. No idea where to get I e but the local nursery has one and I think it's a great idea. c

tigwig
21-06-2013, 01:30 PM
I have had this with a 3yr old and he ran away and took no notice whatsoever. I was pushing his baby sister in the pushchair and my own 3yr old. Luckily the gate at the playground exit was shut as this happened when I was picking him up but like you I was furious as it makes you look incompetent. I learnt from it and now I NEVER let go of his hand for a second no matter how much he moans and sulks about it! Mum keeps a backpack on him with reins but as I don't have many children and sometimes only him with me I don't need it. If I were you I would take a strap with you and threaten to use it. If they even attempt to run again I would use it no matter how old the child. Also if you do use the wrist straps don't ever attach them to a pushchair! I was once foolish enough to do that and the child yanked the buggy over when I let go of it for a second to kiss my DD goodbye. I was mortified but thankfully baby was fine.

kellyskidz!
21-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I have had this problem too, 3 yo mindee seeing his friend and running straight to him and off with him, no matter how many times I told him not too.
They also got into the habit of running over the hill at school while waiting for schoolies to come out, I couldn't see him over the hill and it was hard to push the pushchair, with my baby mindee in, up the grass after him.
The friend he was running off withs Mum used to give me evils when I told him not to go on the other side of the hill and shouted one day 'they're only playing for gods sake'
I was so shocked I just said yes but I can't see him when he's over the other side of the hill, but I SO wish I'd said more!
So now he's on a wrist strap until I know he won't run off, he hates it but I don't feel the pre school run dread I used to feel xx

sunview_cm
21-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. These children are 7 and 5, can I really put wrist straps on 7 and 5year olds?? X

AliceK
21-06-2013, 01:43 PM
I always have at least 1 wrist strap on me and all the children know the rules and they know that if they dare to run off or not stop when asked I WILL put them on a wrist strap, I don't care how old they are. I have told parents that Yes I am strict when we are out but that if I am walking with up to 7 children I need to know that all of them can follow instruction and keep safe as their safety is my only concern. I haven't had to use a wrist strap for a long long time now because I think they all know that I am serious and I will use it so they behave. I often have mums say to me that they see me walking to school with all the children walking sensibly and how do I do it. You have to be firm, there are times for messing around and being silly but out walking next to roads is not one of them.

xxxx

kellyskidz!
21-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. These children are 7 and 5, can I really put wrist straps on 7 and 5year olds?? X

Yes, if they run off. With any luck you'll only have to do it once before the shame of it drills it home that they mustn't leg it lol xx

smurfette
21-06-2013, 01:52 PM
I am thinking about getting a long rope which handles attached to it for my troops. No idea where to get I e but the local nursery has one and I think it's a great idea. c

This is it I think? http://www.walkodile.com/

sunview_cm
21-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I took 3 wrist straps with for pick up and showed them to them explaining I will use them on any of them that doesn't walk sensibly. They walked fine!
I am seriously considering if I want to carry on with wrap around care though. Don't want to let my families down, but when asking myself do I enjoy looking after he older children??? Not really!! All they do is bicker and moan and fight and generally mess about. The younger ones are better behaved and treat my home with a lot more respect.
But can I afford to just do EYFS children? Hmmmmm!!! X

bindy
21-06-2013, 04:07 PM
I always allow my older ones to run off a little. I will say to them, run to the far lamp post or the tree ahead and wait. I would have thought at age 7 they are able to run in front, even far in front. I tell mine, if you listen when I tell you stop ( sometimes I blow a whistle) you stop otherwise you will need to walk along side of me. I never have any problems. I would allow them to run down a path with no cars around for sure. What are you scared of? Is it me being crazy?

SYLVIA
21-06-2013, 04:24 PM
We do the "Where can we run to game?". I tell them which lampost tree, etc to stop at and it seems to work even with the younger ones. However they all have to stop at the school gate for a final head count before we go into the playground. I also keep a couple of wrist straps in my pocket and I wouldn't hesitate to use them if I had to. School runs can be stressful because your on a time limit.

kellyskidz!
21-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I always allow my older ones to run off a little. I will say to them, run to the far lamp post or the tree ahead and wait. I would have thought at age 7 they are able to run in front, even far in front. I tell mine, if you listen when I tell you stop ( sometimes I blow a whistle) you stop otherwise you will need to walk along side of me. I never have any problems. I would allow them to run down a path with no cars around for sure. What are you scared of? Is it me being crazy?

Not you being crazy, but I worry about cars reversing off their drives if the kids are miles down the street ahead of me, or that they will suddenly run into the road and how can I stop them if I'm way behind them? Also I worry that if the younger ones run too far they won't be able to hear me shouting stop there, and just keep going. Maybe I'm being irrational but I'd hate to explain to a parent that their child was injured or missing because I'd let them run too far ahead and wasn't in charge of their safety, especially under 6's xx

bindy
21-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Not you being crazy, but I worry about cars reversing off their drives if the kids are miles down the street ahead of me, or that they will suddenly run into the road and how can I stop them if I'm way behind them? Also I worry that if the younger ones run too far they won't be able to hear me shouting stop there, and just keep going. Maybe I'm being irrational but I'd hate to explain to a parent that their child was injured or missing because I'd let them run too far ahead and wasn't in charge of their safety, especially under 6's xx

Little ones stay with me, Yeah , I know what you mean regarding cars on drives. I take that into consideration, we are lucky not too many, if any come to think of it, to and from school.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Be aware that if you lose children through running off it is a requirement that you report it to Ofsted under welfare of "significant harm". The older ones are a pain sometimes and laying down the law and enforcing it is always hard

shortstuff
21-06-2013, 05:10 PM
This is it I think? WALKODILE > Walkodile (http://www.walkodile.com/)

loving the six seater buggys on there but not the prices x

lubeam
21-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I use to walk 12 after school kids ranging from 5-11 I had a real near miss with one of them once , I thought I was about to have heart attack he was so close to being run over !
Next day I put them all on straps with the promise that 2 days of walking sensibility ment they could be 'realised' and the treat that if I had to tell to stay close more than once they'd go back on the straps , the bigger ones hated me but stick to the deal , all the other kids eventually learnt n were let off but the boy that nearly got run over didn't make it a full walk in 2 years with out going back on the strap , he was 9 when I left!!! He hated me but at least he was safe and parents understood and preferred him to hate me than be dead !!!
Lol :)

sunview_cm
21-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I think it depends on where your walking them. If it was in our local park and they'd asked I would let the older ones walk further ahead but outside school there is a busy narrow path outside the school. It's the fact they didn't ask and didn't take any notice of me when I did call them. Doesn't look good the local childminder shouting at the children asking them to stop and wait, while hey totally ignore me!
X

bindy
21-06-2013, 08:06 PM
I use to walk 12 after school kids ranging from 5-11 I had a real near miss with one of them once , I thought I was about to have heart attack he was so close to being run over !
Next day I put them all on straps with the promise that 2 days of walking sensibility ment they could be 'realised' and the treat that if I had to tell to stay close more than once they'd go back on the straps , the bigger ones hated me but stick to the deal , all the other kids eventually learnt n were let off but the boy that nearly got run over didn't make it a full walk in 2 years with out going back on the strap , he was 9 when I left!!! He hated me but at least he was safe and parents understood and preferred him to hate me than be dead !!!
Lol :)

I know every one has a different opinion but firstly I would say to walk 12 children to school by oneself is crazy. To put 12 children on straps its madness! What a sight!! If you can not control and the kids are not listening then you have too many to cope with. Secondly, I think to only allow older children to run off in front, in a park is unhealthy (like I say only my opinion and I am sure there will be lots who disagree with me) How can you teach, how can they learn without being allowed to experience? If the path is narrow and the road busy, take the kids to a path where the road is not busy. Let them practise walking in front, stopping when asked too, lots of praise etc.. I live in a city, I wanted the older children to be able to run in front or walk behind. I teach them good road sense, and I have good control, in a way I think the kids appreciate the fact I trust them and they don't want to let me down. I also put this in my SEF the Ofsted inspector was not put out and happy. Take a look around when you next walk to school. Children are not stuck to their parents side like second skin, most are happily walking ahead or behind, some are actually walking to school by themselves.

Last week I visited my local farm, very safe, a good place to allow kids a little freedom. How many childminders I saw with toddlers in buggies and 3/4 year olds strapped to the handles, omg, I wanted to tell them, let those children free!!

nikki thomson
21-06-2013, 08:55 PM
I know every one has a different opinion but firstly I would say to walk 12 children to school by oneself is crazy. To put 12 children on straps its madness! What a sight!! If you can not control and the kids are not listening then you have too many to cope with. Secondly, I think to only allow older children to run off in front, in a park is unhealthy (like I say only my opinion and I am sure there will be lots who disagree with me) How can you teach, how can they learn without being allowed to experience? If the path is narrow and the road busy, take the kids to a path where the road is not busy. Let them practise walking in front, stopping when asked too, lots of praise etc.. I live in a city, I wanted the older children to be able to run in front or walk behind. I teach them good road sense, and I have good control, in a way I think the kids appreciate the fact I trust them and they don't want to let me down. I also put this in my SEF the Ofsted inspector was not put out and happy. Take a look around when you next walk to school. Children are not stuck to their parents side like second skin, most are happily walking ahead or behind, some are actually walking to school by themselves.

Last week I visited my local farm, very safe, a good place to allow kids a little freedom. How many childminders I saw with toddlers in buggies and 3/4 year olds strapped to the handles, omg, I wanted to tell them, let those children free!!

I have to say I agree with you, I'm not saying what number is too many but I absolutely hate wrist straps, not just from a cm view but as a parent, I would not allow a cm who was minding my children to use one, they look like dogs on leashes, I'm sorry that's just my opinion, and on a 9 yr old, I don't think so, I don't want to upset anyone but I think that's cruel, but it is just my opinion.
My Los mum said she was at the farm the other day and was shocked at the behaviour of the cm towards there mindees, they shouted at them, kept them in there pushchairs etc, and she said if she'd known the children's parents she would of told them.
I do worry when I see cm with lots of children and half are strapped to a pushchair and the kids look miserable it's not good advertising. X

bindy
21-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I have to say I agree with you, I'm not saying what number is too many but I absolutely hate wrist straps, not just from a cm view but as a parent, I would not allow a cm who was minding my children to use one, they look like dogs on leashes, I'm sorry that's just my opinion, and on a 9 yr old, I don't think so, I don't want to upset anyone but I think that's cruel, but it is just my opinion.
My Los mum said she was at the farm the other day and was shocked at the behaviour of the cm towards there mindees, they shouted at them, kept them in there pushchairs etc, and she said if she'd known the children's parents she would of told them.
I do worry when I see cm with lots of children and half are strapped to a pushchair and the kids look miserable it's not good advertising. X

I have seen it too. Not good. I only hope its a minority!

zippy
22-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Mine run free we have stopping points they're never out of sight, I'm very lucky though as have no main roads, when we do occasionally come across one they all know the rules, the 4 year olds hold onto two wrist straps dangling down from my buggy handles (they are not tied on to me that doesn't teach responsibility, only use the straps as wheels stick out at sides so they'd get feet caught if holding onto buggy frame) and the older ones walk sensibly just in front, I find if you give them free rein when you can they respect your decision more when you can't. I've not had a problem in ten years apart from one new starter that ran too far in front on first day, he got a complete serving off me, and he has never done it since or anything else for that matter even though he's a little tinker at school. Kids need to know the boundaries and when they cross them there needs to be serious consequences, I find if you're strict at the start you can always ease off once everyone knows where they stand.

sunview_cm
22-06-2013, 07:29 PM
The fact was that they clearly can't be trusted because they ran off!! I agree we do need to work on this and we normally walk down a less busy path and in through the back gate so I don't have to be so strict with them but like I said this child just bolted so we all had to follow him down the other path.
I was only looking for some support as this job can be very stressful sometimes and lonely without someone to talk things through with.
Without you knowing the area I walk or the children I have I don't know how you can be so judgemental!
I have risk assessed the situation and talked to the children about what I expect of them. If they walk sensibly( not running off) I have nothing against them walking ahead( I don't make them walk by my side), but I have 3 under 5 's all walking to think about as well!

sunview_cm
22-06-2013, 07:43 PM
I would just like to add that the 3 under 5 all walk without a wrist strap. I don't tend to use them unless needed!!

zippy
22-06-2013, 08:40 PM
The fact was that they clearly can't be trusted because they ran off!! I agree we do need to work on this and we normally walk down a less busy path and in through the back gate so I don't have to be so strict with them but like I said this child just bolted so we all had to follow him down the other path.
I was only looking for some support as this job can be very stressful sometimes and lonely without someone to talk things through with.
Without you knowing the area I walk or the children I have I don't know how you can be so judgemental!
I have risk assessed the situation and talked to the children about what I expect of them. If they walk sensibly( not running off) I have nothing against them walking ahead( I don't make them walk by my side), but I have 3 under 5 's all walking to think about as well!

Were you talking about my reply, certainly didn't mean to be judgemental if you were, and don't actually see that I was, I was just saying what I do, I even said it had happened to me, I was talking generally about coming down like a ton of bricks on misbehaviour being my answer to things, which from the sound of your post is what you have done. As I said in my reply I am very lucky as don't have main roads if I did my actions may be different. I wasn't having a go at you, we all do things differently, I was actually trying to lend a little support to BIndy and Sylvia as one of them had asked if she was crazy letting hers run ahead, and in my opinion no she's not, children need freedom when we can give it and then they respect things more when we can't.

sunview_cm
22-06-2013, 09:05 PM
No zippy it wasn't aimed at you x

bindy
23-06-2013, 07:31 AM
I agree with zippy, we are all different have different ideas and way. I guess at the end of the day , you need to do what you are able, to keep the children safe. Hope the school walk gets better for you, if all fails bribe lol always works.

vickylou
23-06-2013, 08:37 AM
I think we all have to asses our situations differently it depends on where your walking and also on the children. I walk along a long road with no roads to cross but countless cars coming out of drives, many who don't look to see it there's anybody walking along the pavement. My walking under 5's hold onto the buggy handle, if they run off they have reins on. My older children are taught to walk alongside with me in a group! As if I allow them to wander off a d one of them trips and has a fall I can't get to them quickly as the Lo's wouldn't be able to walk quickly, or a car reversed out and caused an injury, or one of my Lo's had a fall and we had to stop to treat. If the older ones have walked that far out of my sight I personally believe that it's not acceptable!! These parents are paying me to get their children to school safely, I regularly walk a large number of children to/from school and have no more problems, they are told my rules when they start, and most don't have a problem. Although last year I threatened to put a wrist strap on a 11 year old as she refused to do anything I told her to, and she was a liability to herself and the other children. Every situation we are in is different, our local park is right next to a main road, and I certainly wouldn't let my Lo's run off, even on the park they have to stay within the gated area and not play on the field as its right next to a main A road! Couple of weeks ago we went to Chester Zoo and my 3.5 year old was given the responsibility of walking alongside the older children, but whilst in the monkey house she decided to 'disappear' luckily she was only around the corner, but unfortunately she then had to stay by my side again, this child has no concept of danger and will often run out into the road when her mother collects her. I do not want the responsibility of an injured child.

Regarding children being allowed to run ahead with parents, yes why not, Iit their child has an accident out of their sight they wont be investigated by either Ofsted or the police, (and anybody who has been will agree with me its no fun!!) i take my job very seriously and the care of my children is paramount, god forbid if anything happened to one of them whilst with me, I would never forgive myself. And as regarding children walking holding on to the childminders buggy I think that looks a whole lot better than children running ahead out of the childminders sight. And I have heard parents at school commenting on a minder who lets her children do this, she doesn't get many glowing remarks! You will be amazed how many parents are constantly watching everything childminders do!

iI always say to my mindees when they ask why they have to walk with me and their mums will let them wk on their own, that their mums maybe have at most 2 children to watch and get from A to B safely I may have 7 or 8 or even more!! And i cant keep them all safe if they are miles ahead or miles behind!! They understand this and now they all tell any new mindees!!!

Also I enjoy my walks with the children when we are all together it's a great time for conversation, and quality time. Our school runs usually end at the school gates with me on my iPhone googling things we have been talking about!! Can't beat it!!!