PDA

View Full Version : Parent querying payment

crazybones
07-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I started minding a new little one a couple of weeks ago. The first week I was waiting for another mindee to finish so only had him bits and bobs hours and only charged for the hours I had him - not the hours she would eventually need. Last Monday was start of first proper week and (after I had to ask) she paid Monday evening for full week. She worked 3 extra hours which I billed for this week but she was off on Friday. This week is the same extra hours and off on Friday. When she asked about payment I said the amount was full week plus extra hours. She said that as we are still in 4 week settling period surely she shouldnt have to pay for Friday as I didnt work and same for this Friday. I said she still had to pay and I am available to work and parents pay for holidays anyway. She said not in settling in period. Am I right or should I pay her back. God I hate money and thought my parent pack and policies were straight forward enough but obviously not.:angry:

Tily Bud
07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
I can't see what difference it makes, settling in period or not she should pay !

littlesprogs
07-07-2008, 05:20 PM
As far as I am aware a settling in period is treated the same as normal. She has still signed the contract with the specified hours and if she chooses not touse those hours then that is up to her!

Trouble
07-07-2008, 05:21 PM
it depends when the ssettling in period is to and from if it is in that period i dont charge if it is out of that period then i would charge.

this is def why i charge in advance so when they change their mind its paid for no hasstle

if it the start of the new contract then if she didnt turn up thats her fault not yours you were their for her so no dont pay anything back.

Trouble
07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
do you all charge in the settling in period? as i have never done this!!!!!

im c p at business i prefer to paint handprints:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
07-07-2008, 05:32 PM
do you all charge in the settling in period? as i have never done this!!!!!
im c p at business i prefer to paint handprints:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don't think it's about the few hours settling in. I think it's concerning the four weeks ( standard on the ncma contract ) untill the full contract kicks in. There is a four week period in which either side can change their mind.

Tatia
07-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I think they're talking about the 4 week "cooling off" period, Rascal, not the taster sessions/getting to know you sessions. The period of time that a contract can be cancelled in before full weight takes effect.

She should definitely still be paying you the contracted hours plus extra, unless you want to knock three hours off the Friday time. Don't blame ya if you don't!

crazybones
07-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I thought the 4 week settling in was so that you could change your mind about the child and vice versa re the childminder. Not so you could chop and change your hours about. I kept the Friday free for her child but she told me on Thursday evening she wasnt coming. She was also very late on Wed and didnt pick up until 6.25 instead of 6 o'clock and I was getting picked up for a course by Avril at 6.45 and didnt even get time to brush my hair after I threw my tea down. I didnt charge her double time after 6pm full or part hour even though that is totally clear in my policies. I thought I was being nice. Now I feel crap because I am worrying over money. I hate it. I wont tell you what Dave says :laughing: it involves telling them to go away

Trouble
07-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't think it's about the few hours settling in. I think it's concerning the four weeks ( standard on the ncma contract ) untill the full contract kicks in. There is a four week period in which either side can change their mind.

sorry you probably think im thick but isnt that the 4 week settling in period, the the real part kicks in, i just want to make sure im doing it right????

Trouble
07-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I thought the 4 week settling in was so that you could change your mind about the child and vice versa re the childminder. Not so you could chop and change your hours about. I kept the Friday free for her child but she told me on Thursday evening she wasnt coming. She was also very late on Wed and didnt pick up until 6.25 instead of 6 o'clock and I was getting picked up for a course by Avril at 6.45 and didnt even get time to brush my hair after I threw my tea down. I didnt charge her double time after 6pm full or part hour even though that is totally clear in my policies. I thought I was being nice. Now I feel crap because I am worrying over money. I hate it. I wont tell you what Dave says :laughing: it involves telling them to go away

my hubby wouldnt of been as polite as dave:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: hes still out to meet stingy parents:thumbsup:

Tatia
07-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Rascal, I hope you are charging your full fees for the 4 week settling in period! I think most of us offer 1 or 2 short (1-2 hour) sessions for free to get young children used to us but anything over and above that, charge as per the contract!

Allie
07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I think you need to make clear to her the settling in period is the same as the normal contract conditions ie hours/days etc the only difference being either side can terminate without notice. Tell her to contact NCMA if you use their contracts. If shes not happy with the hours booked I would allow her to change but only if this was to be a permanent change. I think you need to be quite firm at the start or they walk all over you.

Trouble
07-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Rascal, I hope you are charging your full fees for the 4 week settling in period! I think most of us offer 1 or 2 short (1-2 hour) sessions for free to get young children used to us but anything over and above that, charge as per the contract!

the settling in period of mine usually consist of a couple of hours for two weeks then its full pay after that, i had one woman practically move in she was here for 4 hours:eek: even now she should leave at 1 and stays til 1.50,

why???????? i try not to get chatting but i think she wants me to have her next one too but i dont want to push her out

sue32
07-07-2008, 05:52 PM
the 4 weeks is for parents or you to stop childminding all together not to change hours.
When a parent starts we confirm hours and you need about 4 weeks to make sure they can get to you and some time contract need shortening or it could length but during those 4 weeks they pay me full money with extra if required

If this Mum did not want you to work on Fridays for her she should have said when you signed contracts not the day before. Keep to your contract as she could do this to you again

berkschick
07-07-2008, 06:38 PM
She should pay in full.

On G first day with me, G was poorly so went to Grandma instead.

I still got paid for having her though.

Stick to your guns :thumbsup:

mrsb
07-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Definately definately get paid. If it is in your contract that you work on a friday then make sure you get paid for it, settling in period or not you still need to be available just in case she doesn't say you aren't needed on a friday.

Good luck :)

tulip0803
07-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I would also say you were right. The contracted hours are to be paid from the start of the contract. There is a 4 week period when either party can cancel the contract and stop care with no notice period but the contracted hours are still payable during that time AND any extra hours on top.

Spangles
07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
What you've done is right Annie, you don't owe her any money, you are charging correctly as far as I'm aware.

avril
07-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I think she's just trying it on to see if you'll back down :censored: Stick to your guns a contract is a contract after all. Good luck

littletreasures
07-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Stick to your guns, you are in the right!!

littletreasures

ruby
07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
i am starting my second week of the 4 weeks settling in period mum came last week and said she would be having Fridays off for a few weeks but would pay me for friday as normal.

you are doing everything right she has signed a contract for Fridays then she has to pay for Fridays whther she uses you or not

cathy

crazybones
08-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Dont shout at me but I have worried all night about this and have come to this decision. I am going to charge her for last Friday as I was only told the night before that she wouldnt need me but as a gesture of goodwill during the 4 week settling in period I am not going to charge her for this Friday. :o The main reason being that I have no other mindees on Friday and will have a whole day with Will and time to prepare stuff ready for the mad onslaught that is the school summer holidays the following week. I know she should really pay and I am backing down in a way but I hate hate hate anything to do with money queries.

angeldelight
08-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Just catching up Annie

You have to do what you feel is right for YOU

I would have done the same im hopeless and always back down so I know how you feel

At least you can just move on from it now with out stressing more and having sleepless night

Well done

Angel xx

wendywu
08-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Just watch her if she is moaning about money now at the start then she could be a pain in the future.

I would have charged her but it is up to you.:(

susi513
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Thats the beauty of childminding - you don't have to follow what anyone else suggest you're the boss and you can decide whats best for you to do.

In the past I've charged less during the settling-in/trial period but only where we've agreed to do half days or short sessions in advance - I've charged what they've booked. But I would probably do the same as you here, its not being walked all over its about being able to resolve an issue by making a compromise.

Just make sure when you tell her that she doesn't leave the conversation thinking she was right all along. Make clear that, while you are entitled to the payment, you are willing to make an exception as a one-off, as you say, a gesture of good-will. Explain that you will not be able to make any further exceptions, she will be required to pay for the contracted times in future. Because you are reserving a time slot for the sole use of her child, if she chooses not to use the space (or to only use part of it) you have still been saving the whole place for her and are therefore entitled to payment in full.

crazybones
08-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Thats the beauty of childminding - you don't have to follow what anyone else suggest you're the boss and you can decide whats best for you to do.

In the past I've charged less during the settling-in/trial period but only where we've agreed to do half days or short sessions in advance - I've charged what they've booked. But I would probably do the same as you here, its not being walked all over its about being able to resolve an issue by making a compromise.

Just make sure when you tell her that she doesn't leave the conversation thinking she was right all along. Make clear that, while you are entitled to the payment, you are willing to make an exception as a one-off, as you say, a gesture of good-will. Explain that you will not be able to make any further exceptions, she will be required to pay for the contracted times in future. Because you are reserving a time slot for the sole use of her child, if she chooses not to use the space (or to only use part of it) you have still been saving the whole place for her and are therefore entitled to payment in full.

I am going to tell her I was unsure and have spoken to NCMA and I was right to charge her but as a gesture of goodwill .......blah blah on this occasion. I blame NCMA and Ofsted for anything :laughing:

disney
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
i think you are right i would be a little worried about taking her on after the 4 weeks settling in :( if you are having money troubles all ready x

Tatia
08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
You do what feels right to you but just be careful that she doesn't come to expect it, Annie. You're setting a precedent for her to moan about days she has off and wants to not pay for them in the future. Choose your wording carefully and good luck!:thumbsup:

Mollymop
08-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Sorry I missed this Annie.

It is up to you what you charge, so do what is right for you.

I hope she is not going to be a problem for you in the future, after all, settling in periods are to see how you get on with the parents as well as the child and she hasn't made it look very good on her behalf so far, has she?

brillminder
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
stick to contract or she thinks is not important charged as listed or she right :)

cloud9
08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Argh i'm having a bad childminding week and im actually off on holiday!

Tell her to ****** off if she is being a nightmare already i would get out while i could!

crazybones
09-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Argh i'm having a bad childminding week and im actually off on holiday!

Tell her to ****** off if she is being a nightmare already i would get out while i could!

Cant afford to. All my before/after schoolers start secondary school in Sept and wont be coming, 4 year old starts reception and wont be coming and 2 year old emigrates next week. This is a full timer (first one for about 5 years)- absolute dream child at the moment.

Anyway, I didnt mention anything so hopefully it was just a mistake on her behalf and she went home and read the contract properly and wont mention anything again. We will see.