PDA

View Full Version : Useful tips for parents when their child starts school

ninagee
20-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Hi

One of my parents is getting very panicky and stressed as she really does not know how to help her son for school in September. So I have compiled a quick list for her with some tips. Could I have some feedback please, have I missed anything or do I need to take anything out?

Thanks

Nina :)

Skills to have before starting school
Say please and thank you
Sit cross legged on the floor
Recognise their own name

Self-care
Wipe/blow their nose
Wash their hands
Take themselves to the toilet and knowing when to go
Wipe their bottom
Hang up their coat and bag on their named peg
Coat and shoes they can put on and take off themselves - shoes on the correct feet – add sticker inside the left shoe only as an example
Able to use buttons or zips on their coat
Undress/dress for PE - putting trousers on the right way round, socks on correctly, knowing if polo top/jumper is inside out

Food
Recognise their own lunch box
Open their lunch box
Manage to take a tray to a table and eat with cutlery
Open packaging (foil/cling film/containers) and feed themselves independently
Peel a banana

Tips for parents
Recognise their own belongings – show them before starting school
Practice dressing for school and wearing their uniform for a while
Label all clothes with sew-on labels – order them in advance and get sewing!
Label shoes by writing their name in them or add stickers specifically for inside shoes
At least two jumpers
No buttons, buckles, laces - Velcro!
Trousers with elastic waistband
No tight fitting clothing

JCrakers
20-06-2013, 09:08 PM
That's a lovely list. I'm sure every parent gets nervous about their child starting school especially a first born.

Just assure her he'll be fine and if he gets in a pickle over anything the teachers will help him. My dd couldn't wipe her bum properly until she was 9...lol

loocyloo
20-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Name tags and Name labels for children, from My Nametags (http://www.mynametags.com/)

iron on name tags .... DON'T iron them on the label ( which could come out/be cut off :rolleyes: ) but iron directly onto clothing ( on the inside ( unlike one mum at school who ironed them on the outside of everything :D ) they 'melt' into the fabric and don't come off!

they also do sticky ones which never seem to come off, no matter how many times stuff goes through dishwasher!

well done, its a good list. :clapping:

I would also suggest teaching/supporting him to ask for help if he needs it.

xxx

k1rstie
20-06-2013, 09:39 PM
For the girls,

No tights on PE days

lisa1968
20-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I always tell parents to 'open' things for them in their lunch boxes-so......slightly open crisp packets,'snap' the end of bananas, tear the top of the cheesestring packet etc.They don't get that long for lunch-I have a mindee due to start school in sept and he struggles with all of these and would happily sit for over an hour and eat his lunch.Don't wrap sandwiches in foil or cling film-put them in sandwich bags and don't give them anything sticky.My mindees mum puts a small orange in every day and he gets in such a mess with it!

clareelizabeth1
20-06-2013, 09:58 PM
I hate the feel of labels in my clothes and take them all out used to hate the ones my mum used when I was at school I now use
http://stamptastic.co.uk/
Love it can't feel in and it stays on everything.

The Juggler
20-06-2013, 10:53 PM
get her to read books/stories with her child about starting school. they might help allay HER fears too. Busy School, Sam starts School, Big Mum Plum, lovely stories about what children are afraid of and what they WILL do at school.

Help her talk with her child about what THEY might be afraid of and in her reassuring the child, she might feel better and realise she is being irrational. The practical stuff you have listed will help loads but it might be more about 'letting go' than the practicalities.

ninagee
21-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank you for your great ideas, I will add them to the list.

She has a lot on at the moment (work/home) and both kids (4 and 2) are going through the 'not listening to mum' stage and she is too soft with them. Surprisingly they don't do that with me :rolleyes: They have tried it but failed miserably :thumbsup:

I will email her the list tomorrow and also get some of the books listed for her as I know for sure she will not have the time.

Thanks

Nina :)

Stapleton83
21-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Could she take him/pick him up the first couple of times to help him get used to the routine. They will probably be doing bump up days shortly so it is a good chance for him to at least get a feel for the place.

The other thing I did for my DD was to give her something small of mine to take with her like a handkerchief in our case she put some of my hand cream on as the smell reminded her of me and made her feel just a little less stressed.

Good luck,

Sam x

Petshrinklj
22-06-2013, 12:09 AM
I wouldn't bother with those iron on or sew on labels just write in big letters all over inside of kids clothes. I'm fed up of amount of clothes my son looses. Buy several packs of gloves hats etc as kid will lose them daily or just come home with one glove. Buy supermarket uniforms to save money again coz kid will loose clothes. Today is a typical example I receive a text off another mum her daughter is wearing my sons top. So I look at my sons top and its labelled with another child's name. So the 3 of them have got in a right mix up.

The other thing is if she sends kid with lunch box remind child if they have opened yoghurt not to bring container home again. Yoghurt splattered all over lunchbox in all crevices is a pain. I think kids are encouraged to put what they haven't eaten back in lunchbox ..

Lol can you tell my kid is in reception. Oh the joys.

Memina
22-06-2013, 03:41 AM
At home I've included a uniform of the school that 3 of my little ones will be attending in my dressing up box! They really enjoy playing with it.
I've also made laminated pictures of the children and in the morning we do a register and they choose thier pic to put up on the board.

charlottenash
22-06-2013, 07:06 AM
My son is off to school September and that list was great!

He does most, only thing I worry about is wiping his bum. He's a typical boy and I always go over what he's done or he'd bed dirty. Maybe we will work on it a bit.

Thanks!

george
22-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Clareelizabeth1, thankyou im ordering my stamp in a minute and letting my parents know, fantastic, i Hate sewing and ironing in labels this is great plus
Memina thats a great idea putting a uniform in the dressing up, a mindee came with me to collect my sons jumpers for him starting in sep and was most upset he wasnt getting one hes only 2 but loves dressing up so great idea thankyou :)