PDA

View Full Version : Biting toddler

helendee
20-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Can anyone please give some advice on dealing with a fourteen month old mindee who is going through a biting phase. I have spoken to her parents about it to see if we can work something out together but to be honest they are a bit wet and seem to be full of sympathy for their daughter and not her 'victims'!

She has twice bitten other mindees this week, drawing blood today and it is horrible having to explain what has happened to parents and logging it in the accident book. I am fearful of taking my eyes off of this little one for a second as she strikes with no warning!

If it happens again should I ask her parents to collect her or exclude her for a while?

In almost twenty years of childminding I have never met a biter such as this one, :(

ziggy
20-06-2013, 04:13 PM
I've had a couple of biters and it is difficult. Also had a hair puller!!

I usually take child away and place in buggy or highchair

But to answer your question if parents not willing to work with you then i would tell them that next time you will call them to collect child

sarah707
20-06-2013, 05:22 PM
You need to show parents that you are taking it very seriously - so ask them in for a meeting - treat it like a proper meeting and take notes and give them a copy at the end.

Have some ideas ready to share with them for strategies to support their child - and write down what they agree to do to deal with it at home.

Call them in again in a week and talk again - ask them if they have noticed improvement etc.

Stop being their friend Helen. It's not funny and it could lose you business. Put your small businesswoman head on and get professional with them.

For the child - shadow constantly, use a travel cot if you need the loo, put in high chair and take into the kitchen with you - try to look out for triggers and step in quickly.

Hugs xx

blue bear
20-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Shadow lo always and if you can't shadow (changing another nappy, on the loo etc) then lo needs to be put somewhere safe where the biting can't happen. High chair, travel cot etc.

Always assume she is going to bite, never just watch and see what will happen. If she does bite,tell her no and place on the floor away from you.

serin
20-06-2013, 11:02 PM
I have this problem also with my mindee. Mindee is 20 months now and my son is 19 months. He has been doing it for months. I just say no and place him into the travel cot but my son has picked up on it and started to bite me. :mad:

helendee
25-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I had a good chat with the mum and we have decided that we can't work together in agreement on this issue so are terminating our agreement.The parents don't believe in any form of discipline, including removing their child away from the situation, they wanted me to just ignore her behaviour!

Obviously I have a care of duty to my other mindees so this would never work.

Thanks once again anyway.

merry
26-06-2013, 06:46 AM

I had a good chat with the mum and we have decided that we can't work together in agreement on this issue so are terminating our agreement.The parents don't believe in any form of discipline, including removing their child away from the situation, they wanted me to just ignore her behaviour!

Unbelievable!!! I wonder if they would say the same if it was another child biting theirs.

Becci26
26-06-2013, 06:57 AM

You're kidding?!

Sorry to read it hasn't worked out but at least you have found this out sooner rather than later.

Cinnamon Sugar
26-06-2013, 07:32 AM

For goodness sake! Absolutely ridiculous, you are better off out if it. Hope you soon fill your space with a little one who has more realistic parents! Awful that you've lost the work but at least you won't have the stress of biting to deal with any longer.

kellyskidz!
26-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Ridiculous! I'd be having a strong word with them stating that other minders or nurseries will not put up with the biting either, and by not disciplining their child they're being very irresponsible. Others are right, you're best off out of it, let them deal with their daughters biting themselves.

ziggy
26-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Presumably she will be looking for childcare elsewhere. Does she think any other minder or nursery is gonna just ignore it?

Seems to me you are better off without a parent like that.

I gave immediate notice to a similar parent 2yrs ago and child has had a very difficult year at nursery, will be interesting to see how he gets on in school.

emma04
26-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Nothing surprises me anymore! But you're best off out of it! They sound utterly pathetic and irresponsible!

How will they feel in a few months time when their precious lo has no friends because all of the other children leg it as soon as they clap eyes on them!!! ( been there, seen it and was relieved when they went!!)

You'll find someone else, loss of money is always a pain but one child is not worth losing a whole business for!!

Good luck x