PDA

View Full Version : Need help with charging

sprinkles
20-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Ok, so the parent that ignored my message has finally come back to me.

She's a shift worker over a 4 week period. Hours are as follows:
Week 1 - Monday 4pm-10pm
Week 2 - Tuesday 4pm-10pm, Thursday 8am-1.30pm, Friday 4pm-10pm
Week 3 - Tuesday 8am-1.30pm, Wednesday 8am-1.30pm, Thursday 4pm-10pm
Week 4 - Friday 4pm-10pm

The days when she starts at 4pm her hubby will pick up at 5.30pm so it's only 2hours tops.

There's 3 children - 2, 5 & 7 years. Eldest two are at school so on days she starts at 8am I will have to drop them off at school for 9am. 2 year old goes to nursery Wednesday 9.15-11.15 which only affects week 3.

What on earth would you charge??

I have another shift worker and they will be paying minimum 2 days to keep the space open.

The Juggler
20-06-2013, 01:56 PM
honey, am I right in thinking she could need shifts on any of the 5 days of the week.

I would charge 3 full days and half fee retainer for the other 2 days and charge a top up if used. :thumbsup:

sprinkles
20-06-2013, 02:02 PM
honey, am I right in thinking she could need shifts on any of the 5 days of the week.

I would charge 3 full days and half fee retainer for the other 2 days and charge a top up if used. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've written it all down though and I would still have a Monday free apart from one week I would get them at 4pm so could still fill Monday morning space, same with Friday. I could fill a Wednesday afternoon spot too. Just Tuesday and Thursday I couldn't fill due to one week having them afternoon and another week morning.

Hope that makes sense!!

sprinkles
20-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Ok, so I'm thinking of charging 2 days minimum per week for the youngest and anything over that charged on top - simply because there are only two days I wouldn't be able to fill due to little one being here in the morning one week and afternoon another on those days.

What about the schoolies? Do I just charge them for when they are here or do I have a set number of days per week for them too?

They will be here during holidays too but don't start until August.

hectors house
20-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Well done you for thinking it through properly before you give an answer - I personally would run a mile but obviously shift workers need childcare too.

You need to decide how much you expect to earn for the hours/days you have available and how much of a compromise you are prepared to make on fees - yes two weeks they only need you for a couple of hours because dad can collect but just because thats lucky moneywise for them, it shouldn't be downside for you financially.

sprinkles
20-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Well done you for thinking it through properly before you give an answer - I personally would run a mile but obviously shift workers need childcare too.

You need to decide how much you expect to earn for the hours/days you have available and how much of a compromise you are prepared to make on fees - yes two weeks they only need you for a couple of hours because dad can collect but just because thats lucky moneywise for them, it shouldn't be downside for you financially.

Thank you.

That's why I am thinking of charging 2 days per week minimum to keep those days for them - the other days I may be able to fill spaces around the times they need so can't charge for hours that may not be available for them.

It would be 12 hours per week minimum working out at £62 per week for me. Plus the schoolies on top but not decided what to charge for them yet.

sprinkles
21-06-2013, 09:17 AM
So I decided on minimum 12 hours per week for the little one and said I'm happy just to charge the older ones for the days they're here (so no minimum per week) but with a minimum session of two hours per day - this only really affects the days they would be here in the morning. I told her the alternative was to pay half fee retainer for the hours little one wouldn't be here but would be here on a different day which would be way more expensive.

She didn't understand what I meant by not being able to fill the space on a Tuesday & Thursday so tried to explain better and not heard back from her!

Not overly fussed tbh as I've had another enquiry for a little girl aged 2, full days Tuesday-Thursday. I do have space for both of the little ones though.

Oh...and I bumped into the mum and little one that are starting in August last night in the supermarket and he was full of giggles and raspberries for me - made my day!! :D