PDA

View Full Version : Is it ever ok.......

doris127
20-06-2013, 12:02 PM
.....to staple the sun hat to a mindees ears?!!!

It took me extra time to get to nursery pick up at lunchtime as I had to retrieve the sun hats of the baby and toddler I had with me so often - if they weren't taking off their own it was each others! Any tips gratefully received!!

clareelizabeth1
20-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Gaffa tape works leaves less marks that staples (laughing)

Koala
20-06-2013, 12:26 PM

It took me extra time to get to nursery pick up at lunchtime as I had to retrieve the sun hats of the baby and toddler I had with me so often - if they weren't taking off their own it was each others! Any tips gratefully received!!

Ha Ha Ha Ha :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Check with ofsted!! :thumbsup: If it doesn't say not to on your certificate, maybe you can ( then you can't be sure as it doesn't say much of the certificate, does it?

bunyip
20-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Oh no..... you stole the thread I was planning to start on next 1st April. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Got to think up a new one now. :)

hectors house
20-06-2013, 03:57 PM
If it was wrong for that nurse to tape a baby's dummy in its mouth then it's possibly wrong to staple sun hats to ears - however I can't find anything about it in the EYFS booklet - maybe as you are protecting them from the sun it is allowed!

lizduncan72
20-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Surely since its in their best interests-being protected from the sun-it's ok? :)

loocyloo
20-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I used to nanny for baby twins who would never keep hats on. In the end mum safety pinned the sides of floppy sunhats to eachside of the buggy and therfore stayed on their heads! After a while they were used to the sensation and wore hats no trouble!

emma04
20-06-2013, 04:58 PM
No witty come backs I'm afraid I'm too hot and bothered! But........I've found that those hats that come with the sunsuits ( you know, the Lycra type things) stay on a treat and the back panel protects their ears and necks (from evil staples!!)

Daisy De
20-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Just put them all in the shed when the sun comes out, then they won't need hats :thumbsup:

Mouse
20-06-2013, 05:07 PM
I prefer double sided carpet tape. Works a treat, but can be a bit tricky to get off :cool:

bindy
20-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Try the old fashioned sun hats which tie under the chin, much harder to get off and little ones normally give up trying after a few pulls!

kel1983
20-06-2013, 07:16 PM
One of our mums came in the other week with a piece of elastic attached to her pushchair and a popper on the other end. She then had a popper inside the back of the sunhat which she attached to the elastic She had got fed up of buying so many hats. They soon learn to keep their hat on with us though No hat= No garden

winstonian
20-06-2013, 07:17 PM
I had a persistent hat thrower and put a bandana type scarf on first then the hat, the little one would throw the hat but forget about the bandana so he thought he had won and I knew I had :)
Otherwise I would go for double sided sticky tape :D

sarah707
20-06-2013, 08:02 PM
No hat = no garden ... it usually takes about 2 days max for the really stubborn children - but I am more stubborn than them so I win! :laughing:

With the buggy we stop, I put hat back on, I remind child we wear hat and praise them... and repeat :rolleyes:

Good luck :D

step11
20-06-2013, 08:03 PM
I used to nanny for baby twins who would never keep hats on. In the end mum safety pinned the sides of floppy sunhats to eachside of the buggy and therfore stayed on their heads! After a while they were used to the sensation and wore hats no trouble!

Haha love it

Supernanny86
20-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Just put them all in the shed when the sun comes out, then they won't need hats :thumbsup:

Yep, that sounds a fab idea! :) :)

lubeam
20-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Lol bless , I'm going through this at the minute too , I usually try and do it from the back whilst shaking something in there face to distract them . I feel like 007! Lol :)

lisa1968
20-06-2013, 09:46 PM
......fill them with super glue......

seriously though,my daughter used to do this-she would never keep hats on;even now she won't wear them and she's 10.
In the end,I bought ribbon from hobbycraft,sewed very long pieces to each side of the hat,then tied it under her chin and then brought the 2 ends up to the top of her head and tied them again.It was the only thing that worked!

bunyip
21-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Can't argue with superglue. It was invented for medical use. :laughing:

MessybutHappy
21-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Move here. No sun. Problem solved.

I know it's June, the BBC tell me so every morning (and they NEVER lie)... so where, where, where is the sun????

rosebud
21-06-2013, 03:43 PM
If it was wrong for that nurse to tape a baby's dummy in its mouth then it's possibly wrong to staple sun hats to ears - however I can't find anything about it in the EYFS booklet - maybe as you are protecting them from the sun it is allowed!

I missed this - did someone really tape the baby's dummy to their mouth or are you winding me up?

Supernanny86
21-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I missed this - did someone really tape the baby's dummy to their mouth or are you winding me up?

No that is true!! Can't remember where in the country but yes I think it was a nursery worker?!!

lubeam
21-06-2013, 05:53 PM
No that is true!! Can't remember where in the country but yes I think it was a nursery worker?!!

It was a nurse !!!!!! Terrible

bunyip
21-06-2013, 06:06 PM

It was done, but not by a nursery. It happened in January this year at Stafford Hospital. The presumption was that a nurse had done it. I think the NHS Trust may have got round to admitting it was probably a member of staff, but I'm not entirely sure: that's what the news reports seem to have said. Anyway, somebody had done it, but nobody was owning up or telling. The same hospital (and the entire NHS Trust responsible for Mid-Staffs) is under heavy criticism for over 300 deaths which allegedly may have involved some form of neglect (doG knows how anyone can tell) and an alleged cover-up of goings on possibly involving the Care Quality Commission that is meant to be monitoring them. They are constantly in the news in the Midlands.

I hope we don't have any visiting nursery workers who feel they've been slurred by the membership. :o

Supernanny86
21-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Sorry my bad!! Never meant to offend anyone.

charleyfarley
21-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Does the lo have their ears pierced? If so use the earrings to attach the hat instead of staples :thumbsup::laughing:

Carol xx

bunyip
21-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Sorry my bad!! Never meant to offend anyone.

No worries. Easy mistake to make. :)

I'm just waiting to see whether it's the Nutmums lurkers or the FB snipers (....yes, you know who you are, my pretties....) who first pick up on the sunhat stapling thing and take it seriously. As in, "OMG, have you seen what those CMs on the forum are doing to their mindees???!!!!!??? :panic:" :rolleyes:

jax clinch
22-06-2013, 06:24 AM
I can totally sympathise with children who won't keep a hat on. I hate them, they make you hotter and sweaty!! I don't enforce they wear one unless their parent stipulates they have to (which none ever have). They all provide sun cream which is used, my garden is partially shaded. If we planned a whole day out I would take some with us but English weather as it is I don't hold out much hope of it being sunny long enough for us to worry too much about wearing them. I maybe wrong but no parent has ever complained about their child not wearing a hat in my setting.