PDA

View Full Version : When do you say I need a sick day?

LittleRhino
20-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi I hate having days off even before I started doing this job I hardley ever took a day off work. I have started with a bad cold yesterday and today my head is killing, my ears are all blocked and I generally feel rubish. My question is do you all muddle through or would you take tomorrow off in my boat?? x

mrs robbie williams
20-06-2013, 08:58 AM
i usually dose myself up and carry on but it does make it last longer :( why not see how you feel at pick up time and tell parents then you're not feeling well and will be closing tomorow if you feel that rough :)

AliceK
20-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Well I think I'm a fool unto myself because I haven't taken a day off sick in 4 years. I will just dose myself up and carry on albeit have a quiet day with lots of freeplay but I figure the parents would rather that than have to organise alternative childcare.

xxxx

LittleRhino
20-06-2013, 09:06 AM
I do think that Alice, I hate letting people down especially as I have my own 3 year old at home too, but what makes it worse is I only have one mindee and she is 10 months old and teething so not great in herself either so were a right pair lol. Mrs williams I have thought about waiting till pick up time and think that is what I will do just wanted to see what other people do :-)

Mouse
20-06-2013, 09:11 AM
I have to be confined to bed before I even consider taking a day off. In all my years of childminding I've had a few days off when I've had bad migraines and it wouldn't have been safe for me to work, and a couple of days when I've had sickness bugs. I think I average 1 day off every couple of years!

But, when I'm feeling particularly bad with a cold I do tell parents we will be having a quiet day. I don't feel at all guilty about keeping the children busy through the morning, then putting a DVD on for the afternoon.

LittleRhino
20-06-2013, 09:22 AM
I have to be confined to bed before I even consider taking a day off. In all my years of childminding I've had a few days off when I've had bad migraines and it wouldn't have been safe for me to work, and a couple of days when I've had sickness bugs. I think I average 1 day off every couple of years!

But, when I'm feeling particularly bad with a cold I do tell parents we will be having a quiet day. I don't feel at all guilty about keeping the children busy through the morning, then putting a DVD on for the afternoon.

Thats what I have been doing today so far but I feel guilty and like I am not giving the care I should. I tell yer I am my own worst enemy at times :-)

Mouse
20-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Thats what I have been doing today so far but I feel guilty and like I am not giving the care I should. I tell yer I am my own worst enemy at times :-)

Sometimes I think I'm a fool for doing it! I don't like to let anyone down - and I don't get paid if I don't work, so I take as little sick time as possible.

I told one mum we would be having an easy day as I was full of cold. She said "that's fine, after all, that's what I'd do if X was at home with me". I thought, no you wouldn't, you'd be phoning me to have him extra hours so you could get some rest :rolleyes:

The Juggler
20-06-2013, 09:29 AM
i generally get on with it. tell parents I feel rubbish so will be a quiet day. if I can manage I do, as I have 4 under 5's at the moment it's an expensive day off sick so I try not to.

LittleRhino
20-06-2013, 09:45 AM
i generally get on with it. tell parents I feel rubbish so will be a quiet day. if I can manage I do, as I have 4 under 5's at the moment it's an expensive day off sick so I try not to.

Yer that is an expensive day off :-) I have a new one starting next week too so want to get rid ASAP lol. Its all this silly weathers fault if it made its blinking mind up what it wanted to do we would all be ok;-)

The Juggler
20-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Yer that is an expensive day off :-) I have a new one starting next week too so want to get rid ASAP lol. Its all this silly weathers fault if it made its blinking mind up what it wanted to do we would all be ok;-)

I know it's horrible. have you tried hayfever meds to help - the pollen count is crazy at the moment so might be that??

LittleRhino
20-06-2013, 09:59 AM
I know it's horrible. have you tried hayfever meds to help - the pollen count is crazy at the moment so might be that??

Will try that as nothing else seems to be working x

The Juggler
20-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Will try that as nothing else seems to be working x

also if you have really blocked ears and sinus there is a herbal remedy that is fab. It's a Vogel remedy called plantago - lots of health food places stock Vogel. It thins the mucus and is great for unblocking :thumbsup: I used to have sinus infections 5 or 6 times a year now I just start taking this at the first sign of sinus pains and it's great.