PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your mindee's eat raw cake mixture?

Houlgated
19-06-2013, 09:36 PM
I had a new mindee start this week and today we did some baking and she asks me if she could lick the mixing bowl. Now i always eat the raw mixture when i'm baking and have always let my kids, but suddenly i found myself telling this little girl that she was not allowed to, to which she told me mummy lets her. I spoke to mum about it today and told her that it's not something i should let her daughter do due to food safety regs etc etc. Mum said, she's eaten worse, mud, sand etc., so doesn't mind her daughter eating the raw mixture, but it got me thinking what would happen if she did get food poisoning as a result. So thought i'd find out what you all think/allow your mindees to do.

cathtee
19-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I ask the parents and if they let them then so do I. I'm yet to hear of someone becoming ill doing so.

The Juggler
19-06-2013, 09:42 PM
we are allowed to lick the bowl if there are no eggs in it! So crispie cake mix and carrot cake - fine not sponge mix or brownies though :panic:

Daisy De
19-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Mindees eat it? Goodness no I've already eaten it before they get a look in, sponge mixes are the best :D

The Juggler
19-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Mindees eat it? Goodness no I've already eaten it before they get a look in, sponge mixes are the best :D

:laughing::laughing:

bindy
19-06-2013, 10:04 PM
OMG what as it come to. We use organic, free range, royal hens, golden coated, none smelling, hand picked, germ free eggs!!

Kids love licking the bowl. Not had one problem in the last 30 years.

wendywu
19-06-2013, 11:05 PM
This came up in a cookery workshop I have just done. It's ok as all British eggs in shops are now salmonella free, so go ahead and lick one and all .

Houlgated
19-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I was told on my food safety course that we are not allowed to let kids do this but I think it is a normal part of the baking process and its just wrong not to. I'm due to re-do the course later this year so I will ask again but if we can't then I'd rather stick to making non egg products in future.

Koala
20-06-2013, 05:10 AM
:panic: :panic: :panic: I DON'T LET THE KIDS LICK THE BOWL - EVER - IT'S FAR TOO DANGEROUS :panic: :panic: :panic:

I like it too much

:angry: It's mine :angry:

christine e
20-06-2013, 05:44 AM
The thing is 'Safer Food Better Business for Childminders' clearly states 'Do not let children taste cake mixture containing raw eggs'. This is in the orange section 'cooking and reheating safely' section just before the diary under eggs. If a child did get ill and it was traced back to you? Is it worth the risk?

Daisy De
20-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I was told on my food safety course that we are not allowed to let kids do this but I think it is a normal part of the baking process and its just wrong not to. I'm due to re-do the course later this year so I will ask again but if we can't then I'd rather stick to making non egg products in future.

Not keen on the words "not allowed" I like to make my own mind up when I have all the information, but that's my militant side coming out:laughing:

I also hear what you are saying Christine e but I do think the world has gone mad and some of the simple pleasures in life are gone, its very sad

FussyElmo
20-06-2013, 06:54 AM
My children would eat cake mix for breakfast :laughing::laughing::laughing:

im not saying it happens on a regular basis.

Do I let the mindees lick the bowl - well usually with the aid of my trusty scrapper I can get all the mix out and bake it. What is wrong with the mix that we leave at the bottom of the bowl. It deserves to be eaten :laughing::laughing:

AliceK
20-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Well I made cakes with my mindees during my last Ofsted inspection earlier this year and Yes the children did lick the bowl and I explained to Mrs O that I had RA it and deemed the risk so low and that IMO licking the bowl whilst baking is part of childhood memories. She was absolutely fine with this so go ahead and let them enjoy it :thumbsup:

xxxx

Greengrass74
20-06-2013, 07:11 AM
This is similar to the question do you use the inside of toilet rolls for crafts? What is everyone's views on this. Is it health and safety gone mad or should we not use them?

AliceK
20-06-2013, 07:15 AM
This is similar to the question do you use the inside of toilet rolls for crafts? What is everyone's views on this. Is it health and safety gone mad or should we not use them?

:laughing::laughing: I've not heard that one. Madness, pure madness, of course we can use them.

xxx

Jods
20-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Hahaha with that and not singing "baa baa BLACK sheep" lol!!

as mentioned I ensure I have parents permission, and RA it x I do use my own eggs which the children collect, so only new born eggs are used (oooh!! that could be contentious) x

Yes the loo roll thing I think is silly, my bathroom is probably cleaner than anywhere else, and I am sorry but kitchen roll tubes just dont cut it as binoculars x

angeldelight
20-06-2013, 07:22 AM
I had a new mindee start this week and today we did some baking and she asks me if she could lick the mixing bowl. Now i always eat the raw mixture when i'm baking and have always let my kids, but suddenly i found myself telling this little girl that she was not allowed to, to which she told me mummy lets her. I spoke to mum about it today and told her that it's not something i should let her daughter do due to food safety regs etc etc. Mum said, she's eaten worse, mud, sand etc., so doesn't mind her daughter eating the raw mixture, but it got me thinking what would happen if she did get food poisoning as a result. So thought i'd find out what you all think/allow your mindees to do.

My children do all the things they shouldn't do :laughing:

Do I care ...nope

We have fun the kids love it and if eating the cake mix makes me a bad childminder then so be it

:laughing::laughing:

Angel xxx

singingcactus
20-06-2013, 07:22 AM
I honestly can't say it would ever even occur to me to eat it. Surely though once you have put the mixture into the cake tin there is nothing left to eat, or do you deliberately reserve some to eat?
I am guessing it is just me, but it seems like such an odd thing to do :laughing:. Mind you, I can't eat cakes at all having a dairy and egg allergy, so maybe that is why.

Smiley
20-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Some of the myths around health and safety are boarding on the ridiculous!
The HSE website has some great posters

Myth: Egg boxes are banned in craft lessons (http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/august.htm)

Myth Busters Challenge Panel (http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/myth-busting/index.htm)

Supernanny86
20-06-2013, 07:53 AM
I've always eaten the mixture and never got ill from it! I love eating it, might let them have a tiny bit but its MINE!! Lol! I do have a lovely picture of one of mine licking a spoon and its one of the mums favourite pics! Health and safety is just mad!! :) :)

PixiePetal
20-06-2013, 07:59 AM
I hate raw cake mix :panic: mindees don't even ask but then they are little. The 4 yr old sometimes sneaks a lick of the spoon though :)

wendywu
20-06-2013, 08:06 AM

Ahh yes but are your mindees allowed to lick the inside of the toilet rolls or not :laughing:

bunyip
20-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Some of the myths around health and safety are boarding on the ridiculous!
The HSE website has some great posters

Myth: Egg boxes are banned in craft lessons (http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/august.htm)

Myth Busters Challenge Panel (http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/myth-busting/index.htm)

It's worth pointing out - the fact is that people are so keen to believe these things that the HSE have to have a 'mythbusters' page on their website. It's similar to what happens with made-up 'pc' stories in the papers and similar urban myths. Some people even make a hobby out of putting such myths online and seeing if they're believed.

Where a H&S rule exists, you can be assured it's there for one or more of the following reasons:-

To keep people alive.
To keep stupid people alive. Otherwise they'd do stoopid things and not be alive. Shame, cos this is essentially counter-evolutionary and can only cause trouble in a couple of million years. :p
Because at least one greedy barstool has, at some point in time, employed greedyambulancechasers4ewe to sue an individual or organisation over something. *
Because insurance companies would rather restrict our lives than make the odd rare pay-out.
That's it.

* Anyone remember the ladder ad? "I had to fit a new security system. Because I have the intelligence of a bluebottle and am completely incapable of doing the task anyway, I used the wrong sort of ladder and never even bothered to get a colleague to hold it for me. Honestly, they'd have been better off asking my granny to do the job: at least she has the brains she was born with. As I saw the ground rushing up to meet me, I thought, 'Hey - I bet I can make a packet out of this.' When I got out of hospital, my boss fired me for being a complete and utter 2at and a liability to anyone else within a 100 yards of where I'm working." :panic:

Glitter
20-06-2013, 09:02 AM
The following is a recepie from a 1970's book about feeding fussy children.

Egg Lick

If your child will not eat eggs try this recepie:

Mix one beaten egg with a tablespoon of flour and a tablespoon of sugar in a very large bowl.
Spread the mixture thinly around the sides of the bowl.
Allow your child to beleive you have been making a cake.
The child will beg to lick the bowl and will be eating egg without realising.

My husband was fed this regularly throughout his childhood and he is still alive 39 years later.:)

chriss
20-06-2013, 10:43 AM

This is a no no from me. Grubby fingers have been on this so its bound to have so many germs on it :panic:

The rate I go through kitchen rolls its not a problem, always have a few in stock :)

Twinkling Stars
20-06-2013, 10:47 AM
I try to tell them not to. They still sneak some when they think im not looking! Ha ha

Koala
20-06-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't use toilet roll inners - too many obvious issues!! YUCKY ONES.

No licking the bowl either, flush it instead :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BlondeMoment
20-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Gosh I've not really ever given it a second thought. I've never stopped them.

Mrsh3103
20-06-2013, 11:46 AM
The only reason I make cakes is so I can lick the bowl.
I love a good loo roll tube creation! If the kids are old enough to make models out of them, they are old enough to know not to eat it!
I will stop letting my mindees & ds use them when I hear of any deaths by loo roll tube.

I'm pretty sure there are more germs in the sandpit :)

Koala
20-06-2013, 11:54 AM
The only reason I make cakes is so I can lick the bowl.
I love a good loo roll tube creation! If the kids are old enough to make models out of them, they are old enough to know not to eat it!
I will stop letting my mindees & ds use them when I hear of any deaths by loo roll tube.

I'm pretty sure there are more germs in the sandpit :)

Even more germs on mummy's car keys that LO puts straight in his mouth when he is picked up. ;)

bunyip
20-06-2013, 02:36 PM
They're not getting hold of my toilet rolls - I need them to balance my compost. :D

I know of people/settings where they think it's unhygienic to use toilet rolls for crafts, but then send lo's to get toilet paper to blow their noses on. One of these has the tooth brushes out instead of in the bathroom cabinet. :p

bindy
20-06-2013, 04:37 PM
The worlds gone

bindy
20-06-2013, 04:39 PM
MAD forgot to type the last world, talk about the world!!!!

MessybutHappy
20-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I think you are all missing the key point here, the bowl is sooooo boring - it's wrapping your tongue around the beaters whilst trying not to get mix on your nose & chin - thats the best bit!!!!

and yes, we use loo roll inners here too!

bunyip
21-06-2013, 08:40 AM
I think you are all missing the key point here, the bowl is sooooo boring - it's wrapping your tongue around the beaters whilst trying not to get mix on your nose & chin - thats the best bit!!!!

and yes, we use loo roll inners here too!

Tip: turn off the power and disconnect the plug from the socket first. :thumbsup:

natalieatk
21-06-2013, 06:04 PM
The thing is 'Safer Food Better Business for Childminders' clearly states 'Do not let children taste cake mixture containing raw eggs'. This is in the orange section 'cooking and reheating safely' section just before the diary under eggs. If a child did get ill and it was traced back to you? Is it worth the risk?

No it's not - I shall eat the mix on secret in future!!

MessybutHappy
21-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Tip: turn off the power and disconnect the plug from the socket first. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bunyip! Won't be as much fun without the added hazard, but you seem a man of much wisdom so I shall follow your advice!!

Maza
21-06-2013, 07:56 PM
They eat the raw mixture, great childhood memory. I don't do recipes with egg though for that reason (although I do with my daughter and she licks away). I don't use toilet tubes, yuk. I have lots of kitchen rolls for craft purposes.

Petshrinklj
21-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Lol the joy of having my own chickens means I know my eggs are safe. My kids can't wait to lick the bowl we are lucky if anything actually gets baked.

zippy
22-06-2013, 08:51 PM

It's a myth, google it :-)

supermumy
22-06-2013, 09:56 PM
I remember as a child growing up baking with my dad and mum and just waiting to lick the bowl and spoon
My kids now do it and so do mindees it's all part of the experience :)

zippy
22-06-2013, 10:03 PM

Don't be so ridiculous, next you'll be suggesting that I let them eat the cakes too :panic:

Bluebell
23-06-2013, 08:43 AM
i used to work in a restaurant and we home made mayonaisse - which obviously has raw egg in it. we were advised by the restaurant inspector not to serve it. NOT because of the raw eggs but because the raw eggs we used were local organic and not with the lion stamp. Therefore at risk of salmonella. she said salmonella is a small risk but if we serve children or old people it is potentially fatal and why would you take the risk?

Therefore use eggs with lion stamps and it is fine to let children eat raw eggs. Its such a tiny amount when you lick a spoon - its not like they're eating the whole mix!

bunyip
23-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Agreed, the lion stamp is a mark of production quality, but should never be taken as a guarantee of safety.

Like most foods, the greatest risk of contamination begins after we have bought it. This is especially so with eggs: the shells are porous and can let in bacteria, etc.

Also worth bearing in mind that, due to the methods of collection, 'organic'/'free range' eggs may well be less fresh than cage-reared.