PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh safeguarding training !

tori4
19-06-2013, 06:17 PM
I hope this makes sense.

So I have been on a two day advanced safeguarding course. ( currently needed by LA for accredited CM)

So information overload with lots of flow charts for what to do if and when. However I found most of these did not correspond to a CM setting.

So I am trying to devise a clear flow chart for CMs with common seniors that may need child protection/ safeguarding measures. I know the list could be endless but thinking the most common for example;

Parent/ carer without permission attempts to collect or estranged parent with parental responsibility attempts to collect.

Or

Parents under the influence of alcohol arrives to collect. ( worse case scenario no other adult available to collect)

So I gathered from the training and our local
Safeguarding children's board flow chart

I should discuss with line manager my concerns -
so I have a little conversation with myself

I should then discuss with parent my concerns .... The drunk half asleep / aggressive parent on my doorstep ..

discuss with duty Social worker - If they ever answered the phoned.....

call social services referral team and make formal referral with written referral too. according to (flow chart 1 of what to do if your worried a child is being abused doc) they should respond within 24hours :-0 !

but I'm guessing at 5.30pm on a Friday they are unlikely to react quick enough if at all. ESP if our families are not know to SS.

So police officer from child protection team later confirmed dnot bother with SS but call them / police 101 direct. - as it's an offensive to be drunk and in charge of a child in a public place

So is anyone else confused/ scared about if And when and who to call ESP as we work alone and outside of normal working hours.

What other common scenarios could we be found in and is everyone confident on how/ what they would do.

After training I now feel like I need to have several meetings with myself every evening before I allow any child home :-0 arrrgh confused.com

sarah707
19-06-2013, 06:27 PM
:laughing: Oh dear they have befuddled you haven't they?

First comes the child - at the centre of everything you do.

Is the child ok? Will the child be ok? how will your decisions affect the child? If something goes wrong - and you were doubtful - could you live with yourself?

Everything else should fall into place because you will take every opportunity to protect the child from harm.

Hugs x