PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if I'm doing something wrong?

sprinkles
19-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I've only been registered 2 months but there is a serious lack in enquiries coming my way.

I was just speaking to a minder in a nearby town earlier and she started on about how she was surprised I don't have anyone started yet (I have one lined up for August) because the majority of minders in my town are full and she started asking me if there's any reason people would be put off?! She's really got me worried now, although I can't think of any reasons people may be put off :(

Rick
19-06-2013, 03:38 PM
It doesn't always happen straight away so don't get too disheartened. You need to get your name out there. What do you do in the way of advertising? People can't find you if they don't know about you! :D

charlottenash
19-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Don't pay for any advertisement is my motto after i paid for loads and got my mindees from free adverts!

Net mums adverts are our main attraction.

sprinkles
19-06-2013, 03:47 PM
It doesn't always happen straight away so don't get too disheartened. You need to get your name out there. What do you do in the way of advertising? People can't find you if they don't know about you! :D

That's what I've been thinking but when she started on about the demand for Childcare in the area etc it got me thinking - I don't get any enquiries but the ones that are full do (I'm guessing that's because I'm not really known in the area) but when they say they have an enquiry they can't accommodate and they pass my details on I never hear from said parents!

I am advertising on gumtree, childcare.co.uk, google places, yell.com etc (all the sites that come up on google when do a search for childminders in the area), I'm on councils family information website, have got my own website and Facebook page - post on local for sale sites, I've got a flyer up in local community centre and local village hall.

Not sure what else I can do? Until my first mindee starts I can't get out to local groups.

Jenna
19-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Sounds like your doing lots of advertising maybe ring the local primary school could they put a advert in newsletter if your willing to do school pick ups and drop offs from there. I had business cards made and put them everywhere and anywhere from the local chip shop to the library, newsagents u name it. Facebook got me most of my mindees I have and I also picked a few up from mother and toddlers they are great to meet parents on maternity leave who will b looking for childcare in the future. Chin up hope I find some mindees soon. I took a while to fill registered in April 12 with only 1 mindee who was my next door neighbour by October I was full and I now have a waiting list as well.

Jods
19-06-2013, 04:14 PM
as mentioned you are unknown - get yourself out to local toddler groups soft play etc, as your local children's center to pop an add up. A friend of mine is in the same boat and I do believe its because she is not established yet, the difference I had is I built a reputation at preschool which held me in very good stead (1 of my charges is the younger brother of one I keyworked in preschool) x

jackie 7
19-06-2013, 04:36 PM
When you look on childcare send people a message. Get business cards and never go put without hem. If there is a childminder group go there and meet childminders. Ask for advice even if you don't need it!!

sarah707
19-06-2013, 04:44 PM
We have some information and advertising ideas on our sister website - Promoting Yourself (http://independentchildminders.co.uk/promotingyourself.html)

Are you registered with Babysitters, Childminders, Nannies, Nanny Jobs, Private Tutors - Childcare.co.uk (http://www.childcare.co.uk?) That is the biggest and most successful parent/ childminder matching company.

Good luck! :D

sprinkles
19-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I can't go to toddler groups etc because I work full time!

There are no local parents on childcare.co.uk and the few that there are, haven't logged in this year!!

I rang one of the primary schools and they don't have anywhere to put up a flyer and they don't keep details to give parents looking for childcare.

charlottenash
19-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Business cards in all the doors sounds like an idea x

Becci26
19-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Unfortunately it can take a little bit of time to get started but don't get disheartened and certainly don't be worrying because other minders are full - lots Of ur business will come from word of mouth which will come once u are a bit more established.

Some ideas which might help are:

Make sure u tell anybody and everybody that is standing still long enough that you are a childminder and have business cards on u so u can hand out.

A website

Register urself on google places (this is great for 'pinning' u on the map and making u higher up te google search)

Leaflet drop locally (I did a few roads a day when I could)

Sell your USP!!! I think this one is really important to get across - what makes u different from other cm's?

TraceyC
19-06-2013, 05:56 PM
It does take a little time to become established. I started off with just one child one day a week and within 6 months I was full. I didn't advertise at all but I was quite well known in the village as I have small children at the school and pre school of my own. If the other childminders are full, i would contact them and get them to pass your name out when they get enquiries. Iget asked all the time and would love to be able to recommend another childminder . I also got alot of my work from the local pre school, so get yourself known at the local primary school and pre school.
It has all been word of mouth for me. I haven't had any business from childcare.co.uk and haven't needed to advertise.

Keep on trying - you will get there x

sprinkles
19-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately it can take a little bit of time to get started but don't get disheartened and certainly don't be worrying because other minders are full - lots Of ur business will come from word of mouth which will come once u are a bit more established.

Some ideas which might help are:

Make sure u tell anybody and everybody that is standing still long enough that you are a childminder and have business cards on u so u can hand out.

A website

Register urself on google places (this is great for 'pinning' u on the map and making u higher up te google search)

Leaflet drop locally (I did a few roads a day when I could)

Sell your USP!!! I think this one is really important to get across - what makes u different from other cm's?

I have my own website, which does seem to get viewed. I'm also on google places and have put an advert in this month's local magazine which gets put through all the doors in the town.

sprinkles
19-06-2013, 07:50 PM
It does take a little time to become established. I started off with just one child one day a week and within 6 months I was full. I didn't advertise at all but I was quite well known in the village as I have small children at the school and pre school of my own. If the other childminders are full, i would contact them and get them to pass your name out when they get enquiries. Iget asked all the time and would love to be able to recommend another childminder . I also got alot of my work from the local pre school, so get yourself known at the local primary school and pre school.
It has all been word of mouth for me. I haven't had any business from childcare.co.uk and haven't needed to advertise.

Keep on trying - you will get there x

We have a group on Facebook where we post any enquiries we can't accommodate so we can pass on details of minders who can help - the majority of the minders in the town are in the group.

Another one of the minders has my number as she is a friend of my mother in law and I've passed a couple of enquiries I couldn't help onto her so hoping she will do the same for me!

sprinkles
19-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Waahhhh, it's even worse when you get an enquiry through Facebook, reply, it comes up that they've seen it and they don't bother replying!! What's the point?!

suez
20-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I printed out myself a little poster saying I have vacancies. Also I thought a good investment, on vista print I ordered car magnets, stick them on my car when I need a space filling, take them off when I don't :)

sskent08
20-06-2013, 04:22 PM
I was in a similar position to you.

Even though I had my three children, it didn't seem to reassure parents that I could look after other children!

Is there a local child minding group? search on the internet, they may have a website, or your local PACEY representative can tell you of local groups.

I am a member of a local group and couldn't be without them, great for advice, support and there is a vacancy coordinator. I have made really good friends with other child minders so great company too. they can then recommend you to parents too.

It does take a while to get going

x

sprinkles
20-06-2013, 05:00 PM
I printed out myself a little poster saying I have vacancies. Also I thought a good investment, on vista print I ordered car magnets, stick them on my car when I need a space filling, take them off when I don't :)

Fiancé won't let me put the magnets on the car! Understandable since we have a £40k car!!

sprinkles
20-06-2013, 05:02 PM
I was in a similar position to you.

Even though I had my three children, it didn't seem to reassure parents that I could look after other children!

Is there a local child minding group? search on the internet, they may have a website, or your local PACEY representative can tell you of local groups.

I am a member of a local group and couldn't be without them, great for advice, support and there is a vacancy coordinator. I have made really good friends with other child minders so great company too. they can then recommend you to parents too.

It does take a while to get going

x

We have a group on facebook and they also meet every second Friday morning but I can't go as I still work full time. I'm on the group on Facebook so can respond to any enquiries they have but can't accommodate so they can pass details over.