PDA

View Full Version : Home learning and sharing planning

Trpta108
19-06-2013, 01:27 PM
After doing a bit of SE I have realised that these are areas I might need to develop more, so am after ideas and suggestions.
So how do you all encourage home learning and share planning with parents and does it go both ways, do you ask and welcome suggestions from parents as well? Do you see home learning and shared planning as the same thing or do you separate the two?
Also how often do you ask parents (or children) to fill in 'about me'? I was thinking of giving this to parents regularly and ask for parents to suggest activities etc. so it could become more of a partnership and getting parents involved. Does anyone do that or in another way?

loocyloo
19-06-2013, 02:47 PM
I have borrowing bags that go home. These have little books in to write comments in ... Not often written in though! I also have a travelling monkey that got forgotten about, so I am planning to start him off again in September or maybe over the summer holidays!
I do refreshed all about me forms every term/6 monthly depending on age of child.
I try to meet with my parents to share LJ and write down comments. But I chat to parents every day and we share info. I TRY to remember to write it down, but don't always.

sarah707
19-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I bought an A board and I now display planning (not detailed but I am happy to expand on it verbally)... I also put a brief outline of what we have done / are going to do on my monthly newsletter :D

Trpta108
23-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Thank you for your suggestions:)

bunyip
23-06-2013, 11:31 AM
All my EY mindee's diaries include an occasional page on which I write a 'home learning activity' which extends/practices something they've been doing here. It includes room (and prompts) for parents to say how it went, give feedback, and note any new interests the child has developed at home.

All I need to do know is get the parents to actually do it....:panic:

Smiley
23-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I produced a 'communication sheet' which I tend to send home every 4-6 weeks. I include info about what we have been doing and a comments box below asking what children have been doing at home. I also use it for a child who goes to nursery each day and the teacher completes it. Parents appear to fill it in because they see what I have written and that seems to be a guide for them. If parents don't fill it in then another strategy could be to have the conversation by asking what they thought of my comments, ask about significant learning or wow moments at home and then with their consent write it in and ask parents to sign the sheet :)

sing-low
23-06-2013, 02:05 PM
All my EY mindee's diaries include an occasional page on which I write a 'home learning activity' which extends/practices something they've been doing here. It includes room (and prompts) for parents to say how it went, give feedback, and note any new interests the child has developed at home.

All I need to do know is get the parents to actually do it....:panic:

Any ideas why they don't? Can't be bothered? Don't understand why it might be a good idea? Do the activity but don't write about it? Or what?

From a parent's point of view (I've been one far longer than a cm) I might feel slightly patronised by someone suggesting I do an activity with my child at home. I tend to be over sensitive and would jump to the conclusion that it was implying that I wasn't doing a good enough job as a parent and needed help. This would not go down well with me. I think I also might feel that it undermined the mantra of parents as a child's first and most important educators.

bunyip
24-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Any ideas why they don't? Can't be bothered? Don't understand why it might be a good idea? Do the activity but don't write about it? Or what?

From a parent's point of view (I've been one far longer than a cm) I might feel slightly patronised by someone suggesting I do an activity with my child at home. I tend to be over sensitive and would jump to the conclusion that it was implying that I wasn't doing a good enough job as a parent and needed help. This would not go down well with me. I think I also might feel that it undermined the mantra of parents as a child's first and most important educators.

Hi Sing-low :waving:,

Thanks for your input. I absolutely agree with this. I have to confess that I don't feel entirely comfortable with it: too much like 'homework for toddlers'. I introduced it in response to 'new improved' EYFS 2012, and its stated emphasis on more partnership with parents and extending learning into the home.

I do understand why the DoE/Ofsted value the idea: some parents need encouraging to do a bit more than plonk baby in front of Cbeebies with a dummy and a bag of Quavers. Also some settings need do need to work more closely with parents than they have done.

The trouble is that the emphasis on 'continuous improvement', whilst not a bad principle in itself, fails to recognise the possibility that you can actually go too far with some things. I agree entirely with your comments about parents as the most important educators. The problem is that we recognise that, but ECM/EYFS does not - and tries to have it both ways. It fails to apply its own principle of the 'unique child' - that some families need this support whilst others get along fine without us interfering too much with what goes on at home.

Feedback from my parents is they're not doing it due to lack of time; already are very active with their lo's learning; and are very happy with what they learn at my setting anyway. In short: DofE/Ofsted appear to see a need for this where the need really doesn't seem to exist.

I have similar problems with parent feedback/questionnaires in general. They all come back from happy parents, who see no need for me to improve - so how do I demonstrate improvement in response to parents' views? I'm not bragging. I know there must be something I could do better (or I wouldn't be wasting so much time on enquirers who visit then never call me back:mad:) but it's frustrating when parents seem "too happy".

gef918
24-06-2013, 06:37 PM
I try to make home learning easier for the parents, basically expanding on what they are already doing, i.e. talking to their child and reading to them, therefore the argument that they don't have enough time doesn't apply.

I suggest things to talk about with their child and suggest books they might like to read with them, e.g. rhyming stories, books about friendship and sharing, etc. All suggestions are tailored to the child - each child gets different home learning that would benefit them most. It feels a bit patronising when I do so, but I explain that it's a statutory requirement and would be useful for their child. Not had any feedback yet, but then I rarely do.

sing-low
26-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi Sing-low :waving:,

Thanks for your input. I absolutely agree with this. I have to confess that I don't feel entirely comfortable with it: too much like 'homework for toddlers'. I introduced it in response to 'new improved' EYFS 2012, and its stated emphasis on more partnership with parents and extending learning into the home.

I do understand why the DoE/Ofsted value the idea: some parents need encouraging to do a bit more than plonk baby in front of Cbeebies with a dummy and a bag of Quavers. Also some settings need do need to work more closely with parents than they have done.

The trouble is that the emphasis on 'continuous improvement', whilst not a bad principle in itself, fails to recognise the possibility that you can actually go too far with some things. I agree entirely with your comments about parents as the most important educators. The problem is that we recognise that, but ECM/EYFS does not - and tries to have it both ways. It fails to apply its own principle of the 'unique child' - that some families need this support whilst others get along fine without us interfering too much with what goes on at home.

Feedback from my parents is they're not doing it due to lack of time; already are very active with their lo's learning; and are very happy with what they learn at my setting anyway. In short: DofE/Ofsted appear to see a need for this where the need really doesn't seem to exist.

I have similar problems with parent feedback/questionnaires in general. They all come back from happy parents, who see no need for me to improve - so how do I demonstrate improvement in response to parents' views? I'm not bragging. I know there must be something I could do better (or I wouldn't be wasting so much time on enquirers who visit then never call me back:mad:) but it's frustrating when parents seem "too happy".

Hi bunyip:waving:

Thanks, that's helpful. I agree that extending learning to home should depend on the circumstances. I suppose it's partly about getting to know the unique family as well as the "unique child". I've been trying asking specific questions in the daily diary (had an essay back from Mum :clapping:) so I'll continue with that.