PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Diarrhoea.

Splish Splosh
07-07-2008, 01:02 PM
has any of you heard of this phrase, 11 month old mindee went to the doctors this am and this is what was told that she had.

she has horrendous dirty nappies and has done for the time she started with me in february. there are on average about 2 a day. disgusting:eek:

just wonder if any of you have heard this? apparantly it can last for up to 12 weeks but cause she looks ok she is fine.

Jinx
07-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Sorry, never heard of this. :panic:

Jinx x

Blackhorse
07-07-2008, 01:15 PM
founf this on netmums

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/showthread.php?t=174446

hope it helps

squiggle
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
there was a little boy when i worked in a nursery who had this.

can't remember much about it but i'm sure it lasted longer than 12 weeks and yes as you say all of his nappies were disgusting.

sorry, not much help really xx

scottie
07-07-2008, 01:45 PM
can't help sorry but rather you than me sounds nasty:panic:

sarah707
07-07-2008, 01:46 PM
It can last years and it's really awful for the child.

A little boy I looked after had it and I used to really feel for him ... he got sore bottoms so often.

He didn't really clear up until he toilet trained and still has it a bit now he's older.

His mum saw a homeopath and she did seem to help a bit ...

I just used to make my priority to change him as quickly as I possibly could, even if that meant stopping when we were out.

I hope you can continue to support the child and family through this dreadful time ... xx

venus89
07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
My daughter used to have this when she was about 10-18 months and it really made her quite poorly. As you say, the nappies are awful, the kind you have to change all their clothes for. I felt so sorry for her as she always had chest infections as well, poor lamb. The doctor told me it's the child equivalent of IBS. But she grew out of it and although she's more prone to tummy upsets than the other two otherwise she's (fingers crossed, touch wood) healthy and strong.

venus89
07-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Oh, and I agree with Sarah, I hope you'll be able to help the family - it's not the kind of diahorreah which other kids will catch. He'll just nedd extra cuddles (and lots of spare nappies and clothes)

angeldelight
07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh poor little thing hope he is ok ?

Angel xx

sandy
07-07-2008, 04:04 PM
One of my mindees had this too although I didn't realise it was an illness. He has an unusual diet, lots of olives, and I always put it down to that.

He also improved when toilet trained. It was awful though, really quite toxic !!

Still not " normal " now but its not a problem at all - Just keep windows open and use natural air fresheners !!!

Sandy

Splish Splosh
07-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Thankyou all, her sister has coeliacs so the parents really wanted the reasurance that she hadnt got this as well.

Donkey
07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
poor little mite, hope it clears up for him/her soon :)

Minstrel
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
my eldest son had this too. several HV had not heard of this and thought he was allergic to something so kept telling me to cut out certain foods- sometimes whole food groups ie dairy. anyway after about 5 mths i saw another HV and she was really clued up on it. apart from not very pleasent to change and smelly- no harm is done. he also grew out of it just as quickly as it arrived. just be careful about dehyration- plenty of fluids and i was prescribed rehyration sactets after particularly bad episodes to make sure he didnt get ill.

Good luck x

( oh and may i suggest a peg for your nose if its really bad!!);)

ChocolateChip
10-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Loulou, sorry I am no help at all as I'd never heard of this, just wanted to say thanks to you and all the others who have replied as it has opened my eyes to this condition.
Hope the situation doesn't get too bad for you.

helenlc
27-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I suspect a child that I look after has Toddler Diarrhoea. He has been coming to me for almost 3 weeks and his stools are always very loose. He often goes twice as well. I realise that it could be nothing and just the child's bowel actions but I am confused as to whether its contagious or not?

I only ask as last Friday and again tonight, I have had an upset stomach. It may not have come from him as on both days I have had other children as well, although they havent come or left with upset stomach symptoms.

I have read up on it a bit and it says that its something they usually grow out of by 5 (he is 2 yrs 8 months). It says that some changes in the diet can help.

Mum hasnt mentioned anything about his stools, so I suspect he has always had loose stools. He went to a nursery full time before he started with me, so I wonder whether it could be a change in diet from the nursery to mine?

Any advice would be gratefully received!!

sarah707
27-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Toddler thingy that I can't spell tonight is not catching...

It's not just loose stools though... it's messy and very very smelly.

It's caused by the gut not processing food properly so it comes out like a big sludge... lots of times every day... uncontrollably.

Some do grow out of it by the time they are potty trained, in others it lasts much longer.

It can turn into bigger problems if the child doesn't have any muscle control when it starts to clear up and they cannot go properly. Then they get an impaction (a big lump of solid poo) which sticks in the bowel and slimy stuff sort of sneaks round it and slides out without them knowing.

Hth :D

Star
27-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi My son had toddler diarrhoea too. Had it all his life! Heis 18yrs old now. At 13 he was diagnosed with an aray of allergies after being tested for celiac. He doesnt have celiac but has many allergies including wheat, some fruit, grass and nuts! Its not nice, he spends half his life on the toilet!
Star

Lottie
28-11-2008, 09:09 AM
My eldest had this and it was so severe at one point that he was in hospital, under observation for the night. He was two years old when this happened. It lasted for a good 6 months but he fortunately grew out of it.

My little one has 'bouts' of it on and off.

I have noticed that alot of fruit will make it much worse. Bananas seem okay though. Just make sure they drink enough water and unless it becomes so severe its seeping through clothes and nappy, like my eldest did, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I do believe it's one of those childhood things.

helenlc
28-11-2008, 09:22 PM
I asked Mum this evening and she said that he is on iron supplements as he has a slightly lower than normal red blood cell count. Its nothing that affeects him in any other way or requires attention and I did know about this. But obviously she has been advised to start him on iron supplements and these loose stools have started since then.

I am just not sure whether its my place to try and help him make his stools a little more solid? I only mean by changes I could make in the diet I offer him. Mum didnt seem to concerned and said her eldest son had been the opposite and suffered terrible constipation. So I think iron supplements aside, the LO has softer stools anyway.

He is just over 2 1/2 and not yet ready for toilet training and I wonder whether this will end up being a hinderance to him when it comes to trying to get clean. But how much of that do I control or let Mum decide and come to me with what she would like to do? I have him Mon - Fri 8-5, so quite a lot of his week.

PS For those who struggle to spell diarrhoea, this was told to me by my college tutor 15 yrs ago and is the only way I remember it:

Spell "diary" diary
Take off the "y" diar
Add an extra "r" diarr
Spell "hoe" diarrhoe
Add an "a" diarrhoea

LittleMissSparkles
28-11-2008, 09:31 PM
that sounds like what baby C had if you remember the whole saga there !!! mum adamant it was teething and I convinced it was something else...... ( not heard from SCC yet about it by the way )xxx

helenlc
28-11-2008, 10:44 PM
What was the saga with Baby C?

LittleMissSparkles
29-11-2008, 08:54 AM
What was the saga with Baby C?

ooooh its a long story thats still on going in small claims court if you look in private members area its all in there ...... xxx you may have to go back away to find them xxx