PDA

View Full Version : Spoke to local childminder today

aella851
18-06-2013, 03:44 PM
I decided to have a word with one out of the two childminders in my village were I live. I mentioned I'm hoping to become a registered childminder sometime this year. I asks about the local groups they go to, them I asked her about fees. They charge £3.60 an hour and if its before or after working hours they charge £4 an hour. She said they have a minimum charge of £7 per a day. Think the two childminders charge the same. She mentioned that to cook food you need a level 2 food certificate. Don't know if this is correct. I think they get the children to bring their own lunches but provide snacks.
I did say sorry for hounding you but she seemed ok about it.

Painting my hall, stairs and landing over the next few days as it grubby.

So much too do, still not sure when to send off my registration form off. I complete my last course on 10th July

Angela :-)

Daftbat
18-06-2013, 05:32 PM
You don't need to have a level 2 food certificate. Its good practice to get a qualification and in fact the courses are quite interesting. Your local council may come around and speak to you if you are preparing food but that shouldn't be a problem if you follow general common sense hygiene methods. Beware of childminders trying to put you off because they are scared of getting more competition.

If you have any doubt just ring your local council about it.

karensmart4
18-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi, it's always good to approach the other cm's in your area and make yourself known... I have been a cm for 11 yrs now and I hope that I always welcome and help new cm's in the area. If I get any calls that I can't accomodate I give them the new cm's contact details and explain who they are.. I hope your fellow cm's will do this for you :)
It is a long process getting registered so see if you can go along to any drop-ins to get to know the others better.

Good luck with it all and don't forget the forum members are always here if you have any questions, moans or just want to chat :thumbsup:

Karen

bunyip
18-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi Aella :waving:

You need to contact your local authority environmental health officer. They will almost certainly expect you to register as a food business and will carry out a straightforward inspection of your premises together with a simple interview to assess your knowledge and practice. Sounds daunting, but really it isn't. I got the top rating, which left Mrs Bunyip peeing her pants with laughter (she reckons I can't boil an egg cos I'd burn the water. )

You're classed as a 'food business' if you provide anything more than fresh water, so it's pretty much unavoidable.

You'll need a copy of Safer food, better business for childminders. You can download the pack from the link:
Food Standards Agency - Safer food, better business for childminders (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/#.UcCgfPnvtu8)

or phone the Food Standards Agency on 020 7276 8829 to enquire about a printed copy, if they still have stock.

Each LA has it's own requirements, so call them to ask.

Rick
18-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi Aella :waving:

You need to contact your local authority environmental health officer. They will almost certainly expect you to register as a food business and will carry out a straightforward inspection of your premises together with a simple interview to assess your knowledge and practice. Sounds daunting, but really it isn't. I got the top rating, which left Mrs Bunyip peeing her pants with laughter (she reckons I can't boil an egg cos I'd burn the water. )

You're classed as a 'food business' if you provide anything more than fresh water, so it's pretty much unavoidable.

You'll need a copy of Safer food, better business for childminders. You can download the pack from the link:
Food Standards Agency - Safer food, better business for childminders (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/#.UcCgfPnvtu8)

or phone the Food Standards Agency on 020 7276 8829 to enquire about a printed copy, if they still have stock.

Each LA has it's own requirements, so call them to ask.

Yes they are all different. Mine just wanted me to fill in a questionnaire. Noone has inspected. They probably would if I reported a bout of food poisoning

Tatjana
18-06-2013, 08:06 PM
You don't need to have a level 2 food certificate. Its good practice to get a qualification and in fact the courses are quite interesting. Your local council may come around and speak to you if you are preparing food but that shouldn't be a problem if you follow general common sense hygiene methods. Beware of childminders trying to put you off because they are scared of getting more competition.

If you have any doubt just ring your local council about it.

Actually it depends on what your council want, I had to do the food hygiene course and I get inspected by the Food Hygiene inspector every other year. It's not just about having a clean kitchen, I need to show I keep records of food temps whilst cooking and also temps of my fridge plus other stuff...my council sucks :panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
18-06-2013, 08:13 PM
As of Sept 2012 the rules for apply to Ofsted have changed. Now you need to do your EYFS course, first aid and get your health form completed by your doctors BEFORE you can apply

Emra81
18-06-2013, 10:17 PM
You can apply before you finish as there's the option to either write when you did your course or when your course finishes on the registration form.

I submitted my form online less than 2 weeks ago having only completed my first aid and halfway through Cypop5 online. Application was successfully submitted (according to the online tracker), got the Crb forms and health declaration booklet from them in the post within a few days, my referees got their forms to fill in at the same time and its all been.sent back to ofsted. Ooh and they sent an invoice for the £35 fee so you can definitely apply before you've finished the course.

I don't know whether they sit on parts of your application until you've competed the course but mine and hubby's dbs checks are already been processed according to the dbs tracker so I'd say get your form in asap and get the ball rolling. You hear some awful horror stories about registration taking forever so the more time you give it the better!

Emra81
18-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Yuk, excuse all the typos....I blame late night fuzzy brain and phone with a mind of its own!

CLL
19-06-2013, 05:35 AM
I would just like to mention that just because the other 2 cm's do things a certain way doesn't mean you have too. If you want to charge a different rate, offer food, different hours etc then go for it. You may offer a different service to them which you feel more comfortable with. Make sure you think about what you want from your business as you may end up feeling disgruntled. I attend a few meetings and speak to other cm but I am not really concerned about how they run their business, I want mine to be different so I stand out.

aella851
19-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Well I was going to charge £3.50 but as the going rate is £3.60 I was thinking about doing the same. I don't think I will include lunches, will do snacks. Not sure about after school might offer tea as I have to feed my too. I am thinking about sending my form off as I have completed my first aid. It asks on the form when last date of training. It's just the wording of some of the questions on their with my dyslexia. :-/
I hope my previous mental health issue, I suffered from depression, anxiety and panic attacks however I've been of anti depressants since September and I can now deal with issues that were near impossible at the time. Also a safe guarding issue regards my daughter from last year which was dealt with. My son has ASD and he copied his dad groping his soon to be wife at her lower front. Thomas thought it was a way to show affection so he did it to Charlotte. He is now out of the habit and realises its not a good thing to do.

Also think god my house is a bomb but I figure sooner application form sent the sooner I will get a move on.

bunyip
19-06-2013, 04:59 PM
I would just like to mention that just because the other 2 cm's do things a certain way doesn't mean you have too. If you want to charge a different rate, offer food, different hours etc then go for it. You may offer a different service to them which you feel more comfortable with. Make sure you think about what you want from your business as you may end up feeling disgruntled. I attend a few meetings and speak to other cm but I am not really concerned about how they run their business, I want mine to be different so I stand out.

Hi CLL :waving:,

Ooooh, you little rebel, you !

You wouldn't fit in with the CM Mafia round my way.....

..............but then, neither do I. :rolleyes:

Good for you !!! :thumbsup: :magnificent: