PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed re ending a contract early

tigersfan
17-06-2013, 04:35 PM
I have looked after 3 siblings ever since I started minding, they are a real handful, but have a lot of issues going on in their life - mum and dad splitting up, getting back together, splitting up, mum having new (female) partner, dad not allowed to see kids. As you can imagine this has affected their behaviour greatly. Mum is now out of work, had to resign before she was pushed. I am still looking after children on a full time basis even though she is not working! But providing she paid me I was happy to continue. Whether tax credits are aware she is out of work I have no idea!

I feel their behaviour has affected other children in my setting including my own, I have discussed behaviour withe the mum on numerous occasions. To make matters worse I have had two unsuccessful operations on my foot and walk with a limp and am in constant pain. I can't afford to go off sick but need to rest my foot so have been thinking of stopping minding during the day. I want to stop minding these three children permanently as I am getting very down about their behaviour, but also feel sorry for them with all they have to deal with. I don't want to give 4 weeks notice as I need the rest now or else I'm going to be in even more agonising pain. Can someone please help me? I need advice on how to deal with the situation, don't want to cause upset either as they are a family you don't mess with! But feel I am being taken for a ride what with the mum out of work.

Sorry this is long winded but its difficult to explain in writing!

sarah707
17-06-2013, 05:42 PM
If you can no longer cope with the pain in your foot then you should put yourself and your health first and give notice on medical grounds and don't need to mention the rest.

Hugs xx

Goatgirl
17-06-2013, 06:04 PM
hi,
I would make a doctors appointment, chat to him/her about your idea to cut out work during day time hours, see if they think it would help etc and then you can use 'medical advice' as your reason for cutting hours to parents. If you feel that you want/need the backup that is.

The tricky bit is going to be offering less than the required notice, but I would think you could manage it by offering whatever hours you are still going to be working for other families during that period of time if necessary.

I would ring to explain your situation healthwise and your/their options at this point. That way parents have the news and can become accustomed to the circumstances before you see them in person, then just back it up with the letter you hand over when they next attend, which will vary according to whether they want to continue on reduced hours or stop altogether. exact dates and so on.....

I would write a letter explaining what has been covered and agreed in the phone call: that unfortunately, due to personal circumstances, you need to cut down your working hours (day time)and overall workload (this family!) for the foreseeable future. This means that you need to give notice to terminate the current contract immediately and during the notice period you can only offer the family the reduced hours. If you think this is going to be too much for them to take, say you will be cutting hours from very soon (next Monday?!) but you will continue through the rest of the week as a courtesy to the family if they wish. Also offer them the option to walk away now without paying for any more hours etc... Obviously as you are not giving full notice, state the amount of money you will not be charging/ will refund etc, say something polite about working with them and wish them the best for the future.....

I hope that's not too confusing..... In short, decide what you want to do that sounds professional in the circumstances (ill health), ring and state the facts and options. get their feedback. proceed from there and write a concise letter outlining the agreement.

Good luck, let us know how it goes; I hope your foot gets better soon :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
17-06-2013, 06:10 PM
I would ring your insurance company and see how you can get out of the notice period, if you can and then sit down and talk to mum. If you do this the wrong way she can sue you for payment of 4 weeks notice (if this is the term on your contract)

The Juggler
17-06-2013, 08:53 PM
sorry to hear you are having a bad time hon.

I would have thought you could take time off sick unpaid now. You would do if you weren't going to give notice - you would just tell them. That way they couldn't sue you for loss of earnings.

Then I would give notice during your sick time, say you are giving a months' notice but you can allow them to leave immediately without notice pay so that they can find alternative care straight away and not wait for you to finish your sick leave. Or they can wait until you are back fit and well again and start their notice period then.

If you give them a choice like this I can' timagine them suing you. I'm sure they'll want to leave immediately to arrange alternative care. :thumbsup:

MessybutHappy
18-06-2013, 06:07 AM
I agree with Chatterbox, call your insurance company and get advice. You could go sick, but you'd have to let others down too, you may have to serve notice, either to stop completely, or to reduce to less hours worth these children and stick it out for four weeks, or offer her immediate termination, or hours reduction, and see if she accepts. You might be able to offer three days a week, giving you a rest every other day? Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Goatgirl
18-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi again, hope today is a better day :)
As mum isn't working I wouldn't think she'd get very far with sueing you as she's got no earnings to lose...

If you could afford to, going off sick for a week may be the way to go, as Juggler says.... hopefully you'll have a clearer idea after speaking to your insurers. I would keep the conversation simple and focus on the hours and workload reduction for health reasons rather than all the annoying stuff that you have been putting up with.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Koala
18-06-2013, 08:26 AM
If you can no longer cope with the pain in your foot then you should put yourself and your health first and give notice on medical grounds and don't need to mention the rest.

Hugs xx

Exactly, keep it simple, Give notice straight away due to your medical circumstances, It is YOU that decides if you are fit enough to work with certain children, full stop.
Lightening your load by 3 in one family makes total sense to me.

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup: DO IT NOW BEFORE YOU CHICKEN OUT :thumbsup: