PDA

View Full Version : Put on the spot

sing-low
17-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Oh bother! Just had a phone call (first one - all other first contact has been by email) and was put on the spot and don't feel I handled it very well. I was playing with my DD but answered the phone as thought it might be the parent I saw today calling back. I advertise I do pick ups from my kids school and this call was from someone asking if I also do pick-ups from a school down the road. I'd never even considered this so was caught off guard from the beginning. Waffled about being busy with EYFS kids (TBH I don't really want to do after-schoolies but as I'm just starting if it fitted I'd consider it). She sounded a bit put out which always bothers me as I like to be flexible if I can.

Any advice? I think I need a stock phrase. Something like 'why don't you tell me exactly what you're looking for and I'll get back to you?' Does that sound about right or do I just need to learn to be firm and say, Sorry, I don't do pick ups from other schools?

FussyElmo
17-06-2013, 01:18 PM
If you don't want to be collecting from 2 schools if at all. Then I would say from the start of the call.

I walk past one to collect my children and mindees and get calls for this school. But I tell them from the start I don't collect from there. There is only 10 mins between them and I don't like being late :thumbsup:

wendywu
17-06-2013, 01:22 PM
I only pick up from two linked schools that i can walk to in 3 minutes. I just say sorry but i only collect from **** schools and they have to accept that. It is written in all my profiles so they must know.

Just tell them where you collect from and if they want to change schools to fit in with you thats fine :laughing:

tulip0803
17-06-2013, 01:25 PM
"Unfortunately due to the timings of the school days I am unable to collect from that school as I already collect from another."

I hate not being able to help, I have other local childminder's numbers and FIS and pass them on.

I only collect from one school - I did a temp pick-up from another school for 2 weeks and I was so flustered by the time I got there it is not something I would do again. There is one childminder that does 3 school pickups and has to drive between them as its a rural area it is doable if there are not tractors about!!!!! not for me though

bunyip
17-06-2013, 04:28 PM
One other thing. If you can't give the caller full attention, due to other children being about, then just explain, take their name and number, and call back later. Any parent who has a problem with this is not the kind of parent you want anywhere near your setting. :thumbsup:

Samijanec
17-06-2013, 04:35 PM
I only do pick ups from one school, that school will have to change though in two years once my three year old son goes full time. Cold do more an one school as they all let out at the same time and are a few miles apart..

bunyip
17-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I've been put under pressure to collect from more than one school but had to be firm. I know there will always be a time when a child is late back from a trip or something and starts a chain-reaction of lateness: then all the parents who wanted me to "show a little understanding" will themselves suddenly have forgotten all about "understanding" . :(

sing-low
17-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!