PDA

View Full Version : Floor space requirements

Mouse
17-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I know the floor space requirements usually say they can't include he kitchen, but what if you have a kitchen/diner that the children use?

Have I read that space requirements are one of the proposed changes in MGC? I thought I'd seen somewhere that kitchens & hallways could be used in the calculation if they are actually used for play.

Also, clear floor space. I know you would take off the space where you have a sofa, table etc, but what about child-sized furniture? I have a couple of small tables that get moved around. Sometimes they're not even in a playing area. Would you take them into account when making your calculation?

sarah707
17-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Kitchens are not included - kitchen diners are a grey area.

I was told by Ofsted that they are only included if they are set up for play and accessed through the day...

The changes to floor space requirements were linked to the ratios - the intention was to keep the same room sizes and squeeze in more children.

I think now that the ratios issue has gone away they might not need to mess with the room sizes either :D

Mouse
17-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Thank you Sarah.

I've never really measured my available areas, but thought I really ought to as I know I am limited by space. I'm going to add the info to my risk assessment to show I have got sufficient room when I have 4 EYs children. I'd have hated to have it checked during an inspection & be told I didn't have enough space!

I have a kitchen diner so think I will include the kitchen space. During the day I set up activities in there, so the children do go in & out as they're playing. The only time they don't go in is when I'm cooking.