PDA

View Full Version : Starting to think about things......starting up

aella851
17-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Until I started the course I was pretty clueless what was expected as a childminder. Know you look after their child. I didn't realise their is more too it. Obviously I know you have to keep the house secure etc. I've started to think about things about my business ( not that I've sent off my registration form) and I still have 2 more courses to do.
what hrs do you work?
How much do you charge?
Do you have the maximum amount of children ofsted say you can have?
Do you include lunches?

I've decided to open a separate account for my business and name it aellas childminding on my business cards. Even thought about the t shirts as saves my own clothes and identifies me on the playground. Thanks for your replies to my last post.

sing-low
17-06-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm just starting up too (little bit ahead of you as I had my first working day last week). This is what I do:
Hours - currently 3 hours per week but working up to 2 days, 6 hours each for one child. Also looking to have another child on the other days to increase my income. I have a 2 year old DD so that limits my early years numbers. Also I have 2 school age children (both over 8) but have decided not to do after schools. New child (hopefully) will be full time which will be 8 - 6.
I charge £5 ph but that is based on what other cms near me charge.
I don't have maximum numbers.
Meals cost extra - healthy snacks and milk are included in my fees.

But this is what I do and it works for me. That's the joy of having your own business - you decide. Sounds like you need to do a business plan (is this part of your course?).

aella851
17-06-2013, 12:12 PM
But this is what I do and it works for me. That's the joy of having your own business - you decide. Sounds like you need to do a business plan (is this part of your course?).[/QUOTE]

I am doing my business course 10th July.
Then I would of completed the LA courses.

I best ask my two local childminders what they charge, just a bit of a personal question to ask.

Thanks for your reply :-)

sing-low
17-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Or you could check on your local families information service.

mrs robbie williams
17-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Until I started the course I was pretty clueless what was expected as a childminder. Know you look after their child. I didn't realise their is more too it. Obviously I know you have to keep the house secure etc. I've started to think about things about my business ( not that I've sent off my registration form) and I still have 2 more courses to do.
what hrs do you work?
How much do you charge?
Do you include lunches?

I've decided to open a separate account for my business and name it aellas childminding on my business cards. Even thought about the t shirts as saves my own clothes and identifies me on the playground. Thanks for your replies to my last post.

hiya :waving:
the hours i currently work are 8 til 630 mon and weds x 3 mindee sometimes 4 , 8 to 4 tuesday x 2 mindee, 1230 to 1830 thursday x 1 mindee and 1130 to 1630 friday x 1 mindee i also have two others who come on an adhoc basis if i have the room on the days mum wants
i charge 3.50 an hour minimum 4 hours for pre school
for schoolies i charge 3.50 an hour minimum 2 hours
im allowed the maximum which is three under five and i can do self variations
yes i do include lunches

hope that helps you out xx

Tazmin68
17-06-2013, 01:03 PM
what hrs do you work?
How much do you charge?
Do you include lunches?

I hound out what others were charging by looking at family information services.
I work from 7am til 6.30pm but at first just mainly went by what enquiries I received.
I generally have the max numbers for my under 5s but am well within my numbers overall because I use my car for the school run.
Yes I include lunches and dinners for my under 5s but charge for dinners for after school children.

It has taken a long time to have my learning journeys the way that works for me.

Sorted out business cover for house and car insurance.

Debbie