PDA

View Full Version : Settling Baby

Binney
16-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Hi everyone, I have recently taken on an 8 month old baby. It was all very 'rush rush'. Parents signed up on a Sunday needing care on the Wednesday; unable to do settling in sessions. Also he's not with me set hours; parent is freelance so I sometimes only find out he's coming to me the day before - anything from 2hrs to 6 or 7. He has had about five sessions so far. The problem is that he is only content if I carry him and walk around with him although at home his mother only holds him if he is being fed as at home he likes his space. If I put him down he cries and screams. He'll accept solid food from me in his chair but won't accept milk feeds. And he will only nap for more than 20 mins if I hold him for 20 mins until he is in a deep sleep; then I can out him down (I know this is quite normal for a baby of his age as he's not reached sleep maturity but it's difficult when I have my son and other mindees to care for also). I wouldn't mind holding him all the time to help reassure him but a. I have others to care for too so it is impractical and b. he is a really heavy baby and I find my back is killing me after our sessions. I've got some pictures of his parents to help him feel reassured but what else can I do to help him settle? Any ideas much appreciated. Also, he is not used to other children around and I think he may not like being on the play mat or in the bouncy chair because he is nervous around the other two..? any thanks in advance!

muffins
16-06-2013, 07:56 PM
I would make sure he comesat least twice a week to make sure theres not too long between sessions, even if its only for an hour.

I think with regards to putting hime down you just need to keep trying, play with him, encourage the others to interact with him and dont go too far too soon so as not to upset him, do it gradually.

Have you considered using a sling when your trying to do activities aimed more at the older ones or preparing food etc? That way you can carry on doing what you need to, hold him and not ache! I can sling my 6mth old for hrs if we're out:thumbsup:

winstonian
17-06-2013, 06:26 AM
I had a young chap like this, he was 8 months, only child, doted upon and was coming 10 hours a day for 4 days a week. He hated going down and I was at my wits end when I dug out my old ring sling, it is one of the material ones and so easy to use. Little chap settled so much better and he is now a complete joy and we all love him to pieces, he is still here and is now 2.5 years.
Also a completely unexpected side affect but it brought quite a bit of extra business as people saw me carrying him out and about in the sling and liked the approach.
Good luck

Binney
17-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Thank you both for your replies! Funnily enough, I used to sling my son a lot so I have a couple already. I was unsure about this approach however as he isn't my child, but glad to hear it has worked for other CMs so will definitely give it a try. Thank you!