PDA

View Full Version : What will i do re my back?

smurfette
16-06-2013, 04:53 PM
I injured my back on Friday, I have had ongoing problems since I had m.e. as a teenager which affected my back and then three pregnancies of almost 9lbs babies. I see a chiropractor every two weeks but she has been on maternity leave the last year so my treatment has been intermittent. Anyways I got down on the floor with the little ones on Friday and then I couldn't get up it was like my back locked. Struggled through and said nothing to parents but then Saturday when I got up I literally couldn't walk, had to crawl around on my hands and knees,! Chiro came later in day and it was a bit easier later in day but again this am a lot of pain and locked back. I have been to the out of hours doctor who has given me more ponstan and told me I have a degenerating muscle which is causing problems on other muscles and my hip joints, and I need to swim three times a week.

I am now dosed to the hilt and think I would be stupid to work tomorrow, but I have no guarantee I will be any better Tuesday although I will see Chiro again tomorrow and intend to swim tomorrow night. I am concerned that although it eases somewhat later In the day (probably due to movement but also drugs!) it will be bad again in the morning. I hate letting parents down and tomorrow I have two mindees one who is only going to be here for her second week (aged 20 months) and another one who is only here since January (16 months) and in that time I have had a week off work for holidays and I have excluded him once for vomiting ... Obviously they both need lifting in and out of car seats and buggies and high chairs. My mum has offered to come and help me for the morning and my girls will be home in the afternoon and they will help too, but should I take the day off? I don't also want to give the parents the impression I am unreliable or will have back problems in the future neccessitating time off (can't guarantee this but trying to get it sorted) wwyd?!!

sarah707
16-06-2013, 05:06 PM
If you've got help all day and you won't do any lifting / carrying then you might be ok - but only you can decide.

At the end of the day you have to put yourself and your health first but I know it's such a worry when your business might suffer.

Has the doctor said it's ok to work on the strong tablets?

Hugs xx

smurfette
16-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks Sarah, it has eased up a bit but have decided I need to look after myself, can still barely walk so its just stupid to think I can work, any other job I would take the day off! Hopefully parents will be ok about it. Doctor says to be careful as the painkillers might make me think I can do more than I really can

FussyElmo
16-06-2013, 07:34 PM
You have made the right decision. Its not easy letting parents but sometimes you do need to put yourself first.

Rest and get that back right (or as right as it can be),

The Juggler
16-06-2013, 08:52 PM
glad you are looking after yourself. rest is the best thing x

Zoomie
16-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I have a mild back problem (seen physiotherapist who has me doing exercises to improved posture) where I get infrequent 'stiff necks' when I wake in the morning. Usually wears off during the day or next day at worst but one day last year it got progressively worse and when a parent came to collect at 3 I burst into tears I was in so much pain. I sent other children home and summoned my husband from work so that he could take me to the hospital. I didn't have any mindees the next day and then it was the weekend, but I started back working on the Monday. I was stiff but mobile and not in much pain. Anyway, what I am trying to say is take care of yourself. What has the chiropractor said about working?

hectors house
17-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Hope your back is less painful later - I swim 3 times a week for my back, neck, shoulder problems - make sure you buy some goggles as swimming with your face out of the water will put extra strain on your joints. I turned up at my local pool early one morning about 3 years ago and said to the man on reception "I hate swimming and I hate goggles" he asked why I was there then, I replied "because my chiropractor says I need to swim properly".

FussyElmo
17-06-2013, 10:49 AM
How are you feeling today?

smurfette
17-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Hia thanks all! I feel a good bit easier today, dh took kids to school this am and I lay in until 930! I got up in the middle of the night to take my pain killers which helped keep on top of it I think! Went for a swim this am then sat in the jacuzzi and sauna (now that is the life think I may give up work!) and all in all I feel more mobile and not as sore . It's achey but not so painful. Trouble is I have four little ones in the morning (one goes home lunchtime) hmmmm

My mum has collected my girls from school and Is minding them and making me dinner so I am resting up. Hope I will be up to work tomorrow! One mum text me and said I could do Friday instead of tomorrow If I liked but I am off Friday for the first time in months so no!! She just rang while writing this and I said I would take him tomorrow

smurfette
17-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Hope your back is less painful later - I swim 3 times a week for my back, neck, shoulder problems - make sure you buy some goggles as swimming with your face out of the water will put extra strain on your joints. I turned up at my local pool early one morning about 3 years ago and said to the man on reception "I hate swimming and I hate goggles" he asked why I was there then, I replied "because my chiropractor says I need to swim properly".

Yes I thought about the goggles cos I am terrible for that I just swim with my face out of water, I didn't do a whole lot of swimming mostly stretching in the water

smurfette
17-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I have a mild back problem (seen physiotherapist who has me doing exercises to improved posture) where I get infrequent 'stiff necks' when I wake in the morning. Usually wears off during the day or next day at worst but one day last year it got progressively worse and when a parent came to collect at 3 I burst into tears I was in so much pain. I sent other children home and summoned my husband from work so that he could take me to the hospital. I didn't have any mindees the next day and then it was the weekend, but I started back working on the Monday. I was stiff but mobile and not in much pain. Anyway, what I am trying to say is take care of yourself. What has the chiropractor said about working?

She said be careful I don't overdo it when on the meds thinking I am fine! I suppose it's an occupational hazard of the job, I also think I need to re arrange the car seats in the car, we have a Renault grand scenic and I have two baby seats in the very back so I have to stretch to put the babies in, think I need them in the middle instead

jackie 7
17-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Yes put seats in the middle. When I did my back in I had physio. She gave me great d excises which I do when I remember. I find Pilates so good for my back. Massage is fantastic.

shortstuff
17-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Im so glad you are feeling a little more mobile today, I hope it is even better tomorrow x