PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advise about my garden. Ofsted question.

aella851
16-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Im wondering is how to safe proof the house to the standards of ofsted. I have this wall that has started to fall apart. I spoke to housing association and they say its my responsibility even though the wall was their when I moved in. I have got my occupational therapist to see if he can get them to fix it. Worse thing was the housing association said they can take it down. Then I'm left with grass to patio drop of 12 inches. My garden dips so it would get slippy in the drop started sinking. Do I have to get it fixed before my first ofsted inspection? Or put it in my risk assessment. I do have steps that go down onto the patio and they are safe. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for the great thread.

Angela

muffins
16-06-2013, 10:49 AM
No I wouldn't say you need to get it fixed by then, but it sounds as though you wont be able to let the children in the garden safely untill its fixed. Definitely write up a risk assesment so ofsted can see you are aware of the problem, when you will have it sorted and make it very clear you wont use the garden until its sorted. At the very worst they wont register your garden for use, but at least you can add it at a later date!

christine e
16-06-2013, 10:53 AM
No I wouldn't say you need to get it fixed by then, but it sounds as though you wont be able to let the children in the garden safely untill its fixed. Definitely write up a risk assesment so ofsted can see you are aware of the problem, when you will have it sorted and make it very clear you wont use the garden until its sorted. At the very worst they wont register your garden for use, but at least you can add it at a later date!

agree with above but be prepared to explain how you are going to accommodate outdoor activities if you cannot use garden eg park, open areas, outdoor play at children centre

bunyip
16-06-2013, 11:15 AM
We have a smallish drop from patio to grassed area too. We used planters as a barrier to prevent lo's getting close enough to fall over. Ofsted said I could make my own judgement on this, as some children would be mature enough be taught not to step off the edge. :)

aella851
16-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Maybe if I get rid of the loose bricks that might help as a temporary solution? Just not really got the money to put wall up with all the additional costs needed. I want to freshen the hallway etc to get rid of the kids grubby handprints and drawings that the kids have done when they were younger.