PDA

View Full Version : Campaign for flexible school entry for summer born

Simona
14-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Do you agree that summer born children need this flexibility?
Home | summerbornchildren (http://summerbornchildren.org/home/)

And an MP has started an Early Day Motion..
BBC News - Flexible school starts urged for summer-born children (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22904054)

FussyElmo
14-06-2013, 05:50 PM
I think as usual it comes down the child themselves. My summer born son probably needed this flexibility however my summer born dd is flying in reception. A friends dd was born the 27th August and yet is one of the top children and is can we say too mature for her age :)

Stapleton83
14-06-2013, 07:04 PM
I would agree with FussyElmo it depends on the child some are really ready and others are not there probably needs to be greater discretion.

Sam x

hectors house
14-06-2013, 07:21 PM
I agree that it depends on the child - my middle and youngest daughters were July birthdays - the middle one struggled in a large primary school, so I sent the youngest to a small village school as it had the flexibility that she could stay back in Reception an extra year. Reception was mostly new intake with about quarter of class as Year 1, next class was rest of year 1 and year 2, third class was year 3 & 4.

My daughter did stay in Reception an extra year but the school took each child's ability and mental age into account not just physical age. Another July girl went up but a September girl stayed down. They checked I was happy with the decision, I said this was the reason I chose the school - my daughter still did the year 1 work in the morning but had the flexibility to play in the afternoons.

One of my mindees was an August boy, his mum begged the schools to let him start Reception a year late but they said legally he could start school a year late but would have to go straight into year 1, not reception.

This little boy is now nearly 8 - he only has one more year at primary school before he moves up to middle school - he has been out of his depth from day one - he now has no self confidence and spends half of his day in the nurture unit -he has just been diagnosed as dyslexic - a little flexibility for this boy would have made all the difference.

mummyMia
14-06-2013, 07:23 PM
My ds was born 7 weeks premature, right at the end of August. Being premature affected his development and meant that he was always behind other children his age and on top of that he was one of the youngest in his class. It was like a double whammy for him and I wish he could have started school a year later. I think it would have done him a world of good. He really struggled in the pre-school and in reception and always seemed so much younger and more immature than the others. He is in year 1 now and is beginning to catch up with his class mates and is even doing better than average in some areas, but it has taken a lot of extra work on both our parts to get him there. I feel very strongly that he was at a massive disadvantage to the others. My dd on the other had is advanced for her age and can easily hold her own against older children so for her it wouldn't have been such an issue.

Mouse
14-06-2013, 07:46 PM
I have a mindee who will be 4 in August & start full time school 2 weeks later. She's doing trial sessions now, while she's still only 3. But, she is completely ready for school and her mum has no worries about her going so young.

My son was the same. His birthday is in July, but he had no problem at all starting school at just turned 4.

But, I spent some time working in a year 1 class and saw the difficulties some children had. At the time they did a staggered intake, so the youngest children started reception after Easter, then moved up to year 1 in September, after only 1 term in school. So, not only were they considerably younger, but they'd only had 1 term in school. The Sept starters could be almost a year older & had had 3 terms in school. No wonder so many of the younger ones struggled.

The government is so big on "school readiness", why don't they consider that when setting the age for children to go to school? I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible for children to start when they are ready, rather than when they get to a set age.

hectors house
14-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I have a mindee who will be 4 in August & start full time school 2 weeks later. She's doing trial sessions now, while she's still only 3. But, she is completely ready for school and her mum has no worries about her going so young.

My son was the same. His birthday is in July, but he had no problem at all starting school at just turned 4.

But, I spent some time working in a year 1 class and saw the difficulties some children had. At the time they did a staggered intake, so the youngest children started reception after Easter, then moved up to year 1 in September, after only 1 term in school. So, not only were they considerably younger, but they'd only had 1 term in school. The Sept starters could be almost a year older & had had 3 terms in school. No wonder so many of the younger ones struggled.

The government is so big on "school readiness", why don't they consider that when setting the age for children to go to school? I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible for children to start when they are ready, rather than when they get to a set age.

We only have a Sept intake so hadn't really thought of the fact that the Easter children have had far less time at school before they are thrown into year 1.

bindy
15-06-2013, 11:31 AM
One of my mindees was 4 August 31st. She struggled a lot at school, she now is in year 2 and does not like school, a great shame at such an early age not to enjoy.

Simona
15-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Is there any evidence that starting school so early helps with attainment?
why do other countries start at 6?
In Finland it is at 7 and they remain consistently 1st in the world's achievements league

is early school a way to solve the childcare crisis created by the govt?
what does it mean to be school ready when children actually have to be 'emotionally intelligent' to be ready for school?

How much of the Early Intervention Grant would be saved if children went to school later? and why is the grant not allocated to EY rather than in KS1?
how many children are assessed for 'additional needs' when young when in fact they would have none if allowed to enter school at right age?

Many unanswered questions...

bindy
15-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Is there any evidence that starting school so early helps with attainment?
why do other countries start at 6?
In Finland it is at 7 and they remain consistently 1st in the world's achievements league

is early school a way to solve the childcare crisis created by the govt?
what does it mean to be school ready when children actually have to be 'emotionally intelligent' to be ready for school?

How much of the Early Intervention Grant would be saved if children went to school later? and why is the grant not allocated to EY rather than in KS1?
how many children are assessed for 'additional needs' when young when in fact they would have none if allowed to enter school at right age?

Many unanswered questions...

I completely agree with you.

Mrs Scrubbit
15-06-2013, 06:09 PM
All my 3 children are summer born and had no problem with being at the younger end of their classes (one is mid aug ). They all did very well at Uni - having done several degrees each and getting 1st in some. As said before, every child is different and as long as parents and teachers work closely together to ensure that they are doing what is best for the individual child then things should be fine xx

Jods
15-06-2013, 06:38 PM
I think to have the option would be brilliant, my youngest is 4th Aug and has struggled all the way to year 7, I would have liked to have the choice/option to do what I felt was suitable for her, and that was to defer a year x

As parents we really do know/see what is best for our children (I know the government would have you believe differently) x there are some that cope/some that fly/some that struggle/some that fail, its the children in the last two brackets that might need this option x

one suit does not fit all :thumbsup:

bindy
15-06-2013, 07:59 PM
90UOTE=Mrs Scrubbit;1263144]All my 3 children are summer born and had no problem with being at the younger end of their classes (one is mid aug ). They all did very well at Uni - having done several degrees each and getting 1st in some. As said before, every child is different and as long as parents and teachers work closely together to ensure that they are doing what is best for the individual child then things should be fine xx[/QUOTE]

Sounds all great but be realistic it just does not happen! When your children were little they probably were in a much smaller class, now classes are 30 plus and getting higher every year. My local school, 90 per cent of children had summer birthdays in reception, the teacher and helper really struggled.

nikki thomson
15-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Well by law they don't have to go till there 5 so technically you don't have to send them the year there 4, I was just 4 when I started school my birthday is end of aug but my mum had already taught me to read and write.
Years ago there use to be 3 intakes sep, jan, Easter but not many schools do more than one intake now which is a shame.
I do think it depends on the individual child tbh some are better prepared than others no matter what there age. X

Simona
16-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Bindy...I agree with your point about class sizes
30 at present but, if Gove gets its way and gets rid of TAs the class sizes will rise

The 3 intakes were introduced to accommodate and ease entrance for young children...if it worked why are we back to one entry in September?

The age of compulsory education is 5 and 1/4 (earlier than any other country in the world)....
why are children going to school at 3?
whatever the teachers say the routine is strict and not ideal for those kids especially the dreaded 'carpet time' which I feel is more 'containment' than teaching and the literacy and numeracy hour inappropriate when children should learn through play which is very inadequate in schools

Parents do have the choice of delaying but the application process is very daunting and there was a case reported recently in the media about the stress a family went through to delay entry until 5

In addition we have schools full of 3 and 4 years olds while the shortage for primary places is going to be a real crisis soon without mentioning Truss wanting 2 year olds there as well

Someone said children should not cope at school ...they should thrive! I agree with that ...my view of course

smurfette
16-06-2013, 11:27 PM
This is an interesting topic. Here in Ireland we only have a September intake and they have to be in before they are 6, so some start at 4 and some at 5. In addition a lot of schools stipulate the child has to be 4 before may of the year they start so kids who turn 4 in the summer often don't qualify. Our local school wasn't so strict and my eldest dd started at 4, she turned 4 end July and was reading and had done two years of Montessori preschool.. Next dd was 4 in August and was in no way ready so I held her back Til the following year. Youngest dd turned 4 in October so was nearly 5 going. It does mean there can be a big age gap in any one year but parents can choose.

It's a small world
17-06-2013, 04:56 AM
I agree it depends on the child. My ds is 31st Aug (10 this year) and in top sets of all subjects . Has the reading age of a 13 year old spelling 15 year old and in maths grades are equal to those at the end of year 6.
In year 3 when i was concerned about him being so young and how will he cope in juniors . His teachers said he would be bored if he was in the year below. Even though he is bright his maturity is lower than those in his year as most of them are 10 now. But gradually over the past couple of months i have notice him changing in his maturity to a similar level .
I must also state we have put alot of time into him playing games ( word, number games etc - ALL CHILD LED NEVER FORCED UPON) we travel alot visiting families so this passes the time. In fact by the age of 3 he could spell ASDA due to seeing their lorries on the motorway lol .
Everyone is different. Xx

CLL
17-06-2013, 05:40 AM
I would have loved to defer my sons entry. He was born 20th August and emotionally was not ready. I really struggled sending him to pre school and reception, he still often cries now and he is coming up to he end of reception year. I debated a long time about delaying his entry but I thought it would be worse suddenly sending him into y1 when all the other kids would have had 2 years together. Academically he was ready but I think an extra year at home with me would have been a great boost in self confidence for him

bindy
17-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Bindy...I agree with your point about class sizes
30 at present but, if Gove gets its way and gets rid of TAs the class sizes will rise

The 3 intakes were introduced to accommodate and ease entrance for young children...if it worked why are we back to one entry in September?

The age of compulsory education is 5 and 1/4 (earlier than any other country in the world)....
why are children going to school at 3?
whatever the teachers say the routine is strict and not ideal for those kids especially the dreaded 'carpet time' which I feel is more 'containment' than teaching and the literacy and numeracy hour inappropriate when children should learn through play which is very inadequate in schools

Parents do have the choice of delaying but the application process is very daunting and there was a case reported recently in the media about the stress a family went through to delay entry until 5

In addition we have schools full of 3 and 4 years olds while the shortage for primary places is going to be a real crisis soon without mentioning Truss wanting 2 year olds there as well

Someone said children should not cope at school ...they should thrive! I agree with that ...my view of course

I totally agree with you. Yes some children are bright, does not mean they should be sat reading and writing, who cares if a child knows how to spell at 5! Children in Europe and the USA start school much later and catch up very quickly and take over very quickly too. At 18, has you know Simone, better educated than most British children.

I am so happy to have found a new free school, its the first one of its kind in this country I think(not the first free school, but the way it educates). It's the closest to the European system(Finland in particular) if my child does not get a place(please god) I will keep her out( and home school her) and hope she will get a place for year 1! The children have to start by 5 because that's the law but the first two years they learn about the world around them. Example the children take part in growing and cooking their lunch. The children sit around a table, with teachers, they put on a table clothe, set the table with proper knife and folks(no plastic) pick flowers for the table . The food comes to them and they sit with the teacher talking serving food around the table. Afterwards the children along with the teacher tidy away.. They spend a great deal of time out doors learning about nature etc . It very much child lead. If the kids are doing a project and they want to spend all day on it, they do! I know some parents would hate all this and would much rather their bright little sparks be sitting around a table doing their numbers, letters, etc... Don't get me wrong my daughter is very bright and she picks things up very quickly but everything she has learnt is very much through play

rickysmiths
17-06-2013, 08:03 AM
I think early school is our Governments way of saying they are providing 'Free Childcare'. This is why 2 year olds will be going to school from September.

It has nothing to do with a child's attainment and no consideration is made as to whether it is good for the child or helpful or that they will probably burn out when they get to High School and achieve less in the end.

It is all about free childcare.

Until parents rise up against it nothing will be done and because it is sold as free childcare and childcare in this country is seen as 'extortionate' by so many parents it is doubtful that they will ever rise up. By the time they realise the effect it may have had on their child it will be too late.

hectors house
17-06-2013, 08:13 AM
The August birthday mindee I had only went to school initially 4 days a week - Reception children had Wednesday off until Oct half term, however his mum kept him coming with me until Easter on a Wednesday as she felt he had more one to one time with me than he did at school and he didn't legally have to be in school until he was 5.

My uncle lives in Denmark - there children under 3 are with a childminder and children over 3 go to kindergarten - they start school at aged 6.

It's a small world
21-06-2013, 04:16 AM
I know that just because a child is bright does not necessarily mean that they are ready for school. Although my ds maturity does not match his academic level he was ready for school. Our school also allowed parents to take children into class when they first start reception as it can be a daunting Experience for them. They then suggest that after half term ( October) that parents allow the children to go in on their own with their friends to give then a little independence. When ds started after 2 weeks - of starting school He told me he didnt want me to take him in and after that i didnt ( unless he wanted me too but that situation never arise ) Yet even in December parents were still taking their children in . Hence i still agree every child and situation is different. I am still glad ds started when he did x