PDA

View Full Version : Parent not happy about child in front of car

Starfish007
14-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi Guys

During a discussion at pick up tonight a parent mentioned the ratio change being scraped, we both agreed it was a good idea. I went on to say it would make leaving the house very difficult, she said yeh, I wouldn't be happy with a child sitting in the passenger seat. I kind of smiled and thought, its a good job you've said that. Her child hasn't been in the passenger seat yet but usually as they get older they do (I always clear this with the parent first), as this is the only way I can fit 3 under 5's in the car.

Im wondering even though I wont put her LO in the front knowing she isn't happy with it, should I still have a conversation with her explaining that this is what I do on a daily basis, obviously explaining that I turn off the airbag and do a risk assessment?? x

funemnx
14-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I've got 1 parent who says no to child being in the front (had him for 5 years now) so I always have to put another child in the front even though this one is often the biggest.

Starfish007
14-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I usually put my 2 4 year olds in the front (they take turns) and parents happy with this. They move onto school in Sept so I have 2 3 year olds and a baby starting. As it stands if the parents of the other 3 year old isn't happy with child in the front Im stuck, wont be able to go anywhere!

blue bear
14-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Nothing wrong in asking when the child is older. I'm Afraid I was one of those parents that wouldn't let my child go in the from seat until 8 or ever on a lap belt.

Stapleton83
14-06-2013, 07:35 PM
If it was me I think I would have the discussion with her explaining your rationale behind it and if she still says no, say ok but make a note to revisit the situation say 6 months hence.

Sam x

MessybutHappy
14-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Has anyone else heard that you are supposed to tell you insurers if you are turning off the air bag? I was told this yesterday? I'd never heard it before...

Starfish007
14-06-2013, 08:14 PM
No I didn't know that! x

MessybutHappy
14-06-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't know if it's true....

Sarsar3NCH
14-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I think that might relate to cars where you have to take it to a garage to be turn off not cars that have a switch

ziggy
14-06-2013, 08:32 PM
I explain to parents if I have 4 children the eldest or biggest goes in front on booster seat, have printed off relevant sheets explaining this is legal.

If they dont like it then i cant mind child.

chriss
14-06-2013, 08:48 PM
so how do you turn off an airbag ? I didn't know you could. And is it illegal to have a child in the front with an airbag ? or just not as safe ? Just so I know for when the situation crops up (when I suddenly get busy lol)

MessybutHappy
14-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I think that might relate to cars where you have to take it to a garage to be turn off not cars that have a switch

Aaah, that makes a lot more sense! Wasn't 100% sure when I was told, didn't seem quite "right". I shall google tomorrow!

QualityCare
14-06-2013, 09:17 PM
From netdoctor car safety for children

Why are airbags dangerous for children?
Airbags were made to protect adults weighing about 75kg.
They are very powerful when they're inflated, and they're placed so low that a child placed in front of an airbag may suffocate or be severely injured by the impact of a rapidly inflating airbag.
If your child is younger than 12 years, they must never sit in a front-seat with an active airbag in front of them. When your child is over 12 and wants to sit in the front seat, move the seat as far back as possible.
A child seat must never be fitted in the front passenger seat, if the car has a passenger side airbag. Some cars enable the driver to switch off the airbag. But it should be switched on again, when an adult is using the seat.

Chriss on new cars the air bag can be disabled using the drivers key, usually the lock is on the side pannel of the front passenger door (by the hinges)

christine84
14-06-2013, 10:15 PM
If you disable the air bag you have to let your insurers know and also this would mean that the individual in the seat with the airbag turned off would not be insured incase of an accident. So this is worth thinking about. I went to kiddiecare to buy a car seat last month and the car seat I wanted did not fit in the car. It was there thatthe car seat experts told me than an option would be to turn off the airbag and use the car seat in t2he passenger seat. This would however mean that you have tonotify the insurers and the passenger would not be insured. Even if you decide not to tell the insurers and there was an accident I'm sure it will be possible to tell that the air bag was deactivated.