PDA

View Full Version : would you put child back in nappies?

ziggy
14-06-2013, 01:46 PM
After Easter I decided it would be a good time to potty train 2 mindees. J is 3 in August (boy) and A is 3 in September (girl)

We stayed in for first 2 weeks and all went well. Both were doing really well, no accidents at all with girl. She will come in out of garden and always tells me if we're out and about.

Now, the little boy is another story. His mummy had new baby in March, his older brother is making life very difficult for Mummy especially when she drops him at school in mornings. Mummy is very soft, whereas Daddy is really strict. J had tummy bug for 2 days last week so Mummy put him back in nappies. This week has been a disaster. I keep reminding him 'we need to do wees and poos in potty or toilet' and give so much praise to him and other mindees when they use potty or toilet.

Apparently there are lots of accidents at home. Yesterday each time i asked if he needed a poo he said he would do it with Mummy, then 5 minutes after leaving here he did it in pants.

Today he had accident in pants while playing then few minutes after being put to bed.

Not sure whether to struggle on, luckily he hasnt done it while we have been out and about, so it's not too bad dealing with changing him at home.

Or would it be better to put him back in nappies till he's ready?

muffins
14-06-2013, 02:55 PM
I would be very reluctant to after so long at his age, but hes had alot on at home so I would question whether it was the right time to have done it anyway just as a new baby arrived!

Personally I think whatever you do needs to be discussed with Mum as to what she wants, and what she is prepared to do at home because consistancy is going to be needed.

ziggy
14-06-2013, 03:23 PM
well, yes, I was planning to discuss it with Mummy first

Just not sure whether to keep going for a bit longer.

kellyskidz!
14-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I'd keep at it for a bit as it might confuse him after quite a long time. Maybe try a potty reward chart or something to actively encourage potty times? Worked for my little girl :)

Stapleton83
14-06-2013, 10:22 PM
He has had a lot on between a tummy bug and a new baby so not uncommon to go backwards, would agree that you stick at it but it might be worth talking to mum and agreeing a timescale as I would imaging she is pretty tired with a new baby. You could go back to putting a nappy on for his nap maybe but only if you really think it's an issue. I would go back to basics plus a reward chart.

The I'll do it with mummy doesn't wash with me I will always tell mine we should just go and try!

Good luck.

Sam x

ziggy
17-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Oh my word, not a good start to the week! I opened door to J all full of smiles and enthusiasm, we chatted about using toilet/potty. Apparently he wants to go fishing with Daddy and it's been agreed he can do when he uses potty/toilet.

After first hour other mindee comes to tell me J has pooed, he's in shorts so was all down his legs and over cream carpet in play room.

Gonna try reward chart then if that doesnt work by end of week he will have to go back in nappies, I have 2 other mindees including a new baby plus his older brother after school, too much time wasted washing dirty pants and cleaning him up.

Oh he also told his parents it was funny, so i guess it is an attention thing

Cinnamon Sugar
17-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Oh my word, not a good start to the week! I opened door to J all full of smiles and enthusiasm, we chatted about using toilet/potty. Apparently he wants to go fishing with Daddy and it's been agreed he can do when he uses potty/toilet.

After first hour other mindee comes to tell me J has pooed, he's in shorts so was all down his legs and over cream carpet in play room.

Gonna try reward chart then if that doesnt work by end of week he will have to go back in nappies, I have 2 other mindees including a new baby plus his older brother after school, too much time wasted washing dirty pants and cleaning him up.

Oh he also told his parents it was funny, so i guess it is an attention thing

Oh dear, that really is awful. I think it was one of your threads I read last week that made me feel better about the poo tastic time I was having with my potty training mindee. I've been doing this job for 12 years and have never had dramas like it! Poo is bad enough in a nappy never mind all over legs and a cream carpet! You poor thing! Chin up :-)

ziggy
17-06-2013, 02:36 PM
thank you, will keep going for a few days but even his mum thinks he's doing it for attention and so it will be back to nappies if no improvement by friday

serin
19-06-2013, 10:08 PM
thank you, will keep going for a few days but even his mum thinks he's doing it for attention and so it will be back to nappies if no improvement by friday

I must say they are lucky you are putting so much time into it. I think this is a thing the parents are responsible to work with really and we follow on after. I need to potty train my boy but I think I need to just be consistent and do it for a whole week at home with no going out which is not easy if you have school run

ziggy
19-06-2013, 10:11 PM
well I told him if he wouldnt use potty or toilet he would have to go back into nappies, seems to have worked, he has been great ever since, so fingers crossed