PDA

View Full Version : Early years funding appeal

Greengrass74
14-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I am having a nightmare at the moment with the early years funding and our local authority. I made a mistake when inputting the hours on head count day April, this resulted in me be underpaid by nearly £1000. I have sent many emails but was told there is nothing I can do as it was my mistake except appeal. I have appealed this and they are saying that as it was my error I have lost the money.
I want to pursue this as I cannot afford to loose the money and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if anyone has any advice about appealing also does your Local council operate this policy that if it is your mistake then you loose the money.
Our local authority is Northamptonshire and I am going to pursue this matter as far as possible with whoever i need to as I feel it is totally unfair that they are not paying me for the service I have provided, I appreciate it was an error on my part but surely they can do something.

Mouse
14-06-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry Dave, I have no advice at all, but that is disgraceful. I can't believe the local authority are refusing to pay you :panic:

Have you tried contacting your insurance company legal department to see if they can offer any help? I'm not sure what it says in our LA contracts, so I'm going to have to dig mine out & check.

Greengrass74
14-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm sorry Dave, I have no advice at all, but that is disgraceful. I can't believe the local authority are refusing to pay you :panic:

Have you tried contacting your insurance company legal department to see if they can offer any help? I'm not sure what it says in our LA contracts, so I'm going to have to dig mine out & check.

Never thought of our insurance, will give them a go.
I just feel that they would not refuse to pay the companies that collect the rubbish or cut all the grass If they made a mistake on their invoices, a childminder is the same just on a smaller scale we are carrying out work for our local authority so should be paid for it. Errr I am so angry at the moment

Koala
14-06-2013, 01:51 PM
OMG that is disgusting, They should be able to ammend this as the end of the term is not here yet and final payments haven't being released. That is if you work on the 80% and 20% payments.

I would suggest you send A COMPLAINT in writing to whoever supports you to deliver the FEE, Possibly suggest impropriety in how you have been dealt with AS A CHILDMINDER, ask the question whether every setting, nurseries schools etc.... are treated in this way? Express the difficulties of the system and lack of clarity in the claiming process. If it's anything like our system, no confirmations are sent out about your claims, projected numbers or anything, its a nightmare.

A mistake has been made and you have notified them of this, surely at this point it can be rectified.

Get your parents to telephone and write to the same department stating that they are being refused their entitlement because you havn't being paid. (this does depend on the relationship you have with your parents)

Don't let it go, the system of FEE payments is a continuous bone of contention with me and I am also having difficulties with it. However I have found that putting it in writing is the only way to get people to sit up and listen, you can speak to folk until you are blue in the face, they just seem to pay you lip service.

JulieA
14-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Our LA makes the adjustment the following term. So you may have to wait for the money,but it does arrive eventually. The same if they have overpaid you.

14-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi

I am afraid that over the years I have found Northamptonshire County Council to the most unhelpful and difficult organisation to deal with. I speak as a resident, childminder and ex-teacher. As suggested before put everything in writing and then go through the official complaints process. Someone in my local childminding group is having exactly the same problem so I will let you know how she is getting on too. Get your DO and the NCA to back you up, then your insurance company.

I have found in the past that when you go through NCC complaints nothing happens at first. Then you tell them you are going to the "Local Authority Ombudsman" and they magically, if reluctantly give in.

The complexity and time-scales for claiming payments are putting people off, NCC have sent a bulletin with moans about providers not meeting their deadlines and (so I am told) do not speak to people on the phone, you can only use email, which can be too late to sort out problems. Can you tell I am not a fan at the moment. Good luck.

blue bear
14-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Ours are really brilliant and flexible. Dave that's terrible bet they wouldn't take that stance if it was e other way around.

17-06-2013, 03:17 PM
As I said earlier someone in my group wasn't paid. Missed the window for inputting details online. However she kicked up a fuss as she wasn't sent the "window" schedule and has now been paid- with very bad grace and warned that in future she would not be if in a similar situation. Have you had any luck yet?

hectors house
17-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I worked for a company that sold goods to local councils - they were terrible at paying!

jackie 7
17-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Tell them you are in contact with your mp and grttk g legal sdvice

Greengrass74
02-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Great news the County Council have decided to pay the money that we are owed, even better news is that they are going to change the process so that there is a window of appeal (for all providers) once the funding is received if it is realised that there’s been a mistake, so this shouldn’t happen again what a result happy days :clapping:

hectors house
02-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Well done for getting the money you are owed and for getting a naff system changed - mistakes work both ways, they would want their money back if they overpaid you!

The Juggler
02-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Great news the County Council have decided to pay the money that we are owed, even better news is that they are going to change the process so that there is a window of appeal (for all providers) once the funding is received if it is realised that there’s been a mistake, so this shouldn’t happen again what a result happy days :clapping:

really glad it worked out for you :clapping::clapping: