PDA

View Full Version : Qualified teacher - which courses??

butterfly
07-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm a qualified primary teacher with a post grad diploma in early years. do you think it's worth while me continuing to do the level 3 diploma in homebased childcare? obviously it's at a lower level than my degree but is it more relevant? or shall i concentrate on doing other courses which are more specific to areas i'm interested in? i might like to do more to do with special needs?

sarah707
07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Trouble with the homebased childcare one is ... it only qualifies you for homebased childcare.

That means that if you want to go out into the big wide world, you are showing continuous professional development / willingness to learn etc ... but no new big wide world qualifications.

I am a qualified teacher too, but a looooong time ago ... I did nvq3 early years, childcare and education and am now doing Open university E123 and E124 to give me an up-to-date level 4.

Depends where you want to be in a few years time really :D

MissTinkerbell
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm qualified teacher too and since I did my degree in Early Years; have a BTEC Nat Dip in Nursery Nursing and have spent the last 12 years working with Early Years both my Ofsted inspector and my development officer felt it would be a waste of time for me to do the diploma. I've also done quite a few courses on the EYFS so I've been able to concentrate on areas that interest me.

Personally I'd agree with Sarah and say that it depends where you want to be in a few years time.