PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I've stepped on the other CMs toes and I've not even started yet

abzbargs
14-06-2013, 11:28 AM
:(:(:(

So I got my certificate last week and am now registered. Was so happy last week, thinking of a name for my business, designing logo etc. I'm only doing out of school care and my little boy starts school after summer so it'll fit in nicely.

after a bit of research, I decided a good avenue to show people what I'm offering would be via Facebook. I will probably not use the page whent he business is up and running, really just to get my name out there. I friended some of my personal friends and asked them to pass the word on to anyone who might be looking for care for children at the school. 1 lovely friend sent me friend suggestions (about 15) and I accepted them, which would have sent those people a friend request.

So this morning I dropped my little boy off at his playgroup/nursery and was told I was 'in big trouble with the childminders'. Apparently I had friend requested one of the group of childminders daughters and, worse still, the lady who runs the playgroup/nurserys clients mum!!! There was talk of me 'trying to poach clients' to which I replied that wasn't my intention at all, I just wanted to get my name out there. This lady has been helpful and nice and tbh she's being doing her job for such a long time I really am not a threat to her.

I've came home in a hurry and withdrew all of the friend requests I sent.

I'm annoyed with myself for sending them, and feel foolish. After last weeks high, I feel so heavy hearted with it all now. I know there is a vast amount of childminders locally and they understandably wanted to protect their businesses... but I'm not a baddie either:(

Should I send a message to those I friend requested explaining that I was looking to get my name out there, looking for new clients but aim to have a good relationship with local childminders and was not my intention to poach....or just leave it with my friend cancellations?

Sorry that was long, needed to get it off my chest

christine e
14-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I would just leave things well alone - you have done nothing wrong - the dust will settle and it will soon be old news

Fingers crossed you get some work soon

Cx

abzbargs
14-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks, my friend who suggested the people has offered to email them all telling them the friend request came from her, she wasn't intending to offend anyone, and that she was just trying to support a local business. Feel a little bit better now, although I may have to have a glass of wine tonight!

leeanne910
14-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Sorry but u have to start somewhere. Isnt that how business works? I dont think u have done anything wrong u havent took a client from someone so i would friend request away

Samijanec
14-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I know I'm a childminder but I have heard that there are some real childminder cliques out there. I'm sure the dust will settle, there is by far enough work out there for every one.

As some one has already stated, you have to start some where.

Dust yourself off stand tall and get back out there xx

Koala
14-06-2013, 12:15 PM
No don't do anything.

If others have an issue with you marketing, TOUGH!
Some childcare providers think they own their patch!! like the mafia, don't worry you won't find a chopped up pushchair in your bed :laughing:

Don't let people bully you or intimidate you, because this is what it sounds like to me.

Well done for being proactive in furthering your business and don't worry, if anyone has a problem, it's their problem, and they will get over it.

Just take a deep breath and carry on.

:thumbsup: Don't let thing spoil your fun :thumbsup:

Mrsh3103
14-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I've just had kind of the same thing happen to me.
I decided that as I hadn't done anything wrong I would go to the group the next week & face any backlash.
I was confronted by a couple of angry childminders but I stood my ground & explained my side of the story. I now actually get on really well with the cm I 'stole' business from :)

You've done nothing wrong so don't worry. If any cm's say anything just explain it was an honest mistake. X

Bluebell
14-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I think you should 'friend' as many people as you can -including childminders (and pre-school workers )so you can all work together! I'm not sure why they would be offended. maybe say something like it would be useful to have your contact details so I can pass on enquiries - here are my details in case there is someone you don't have a space for!
I wish you the very best of luck - perhaps the person who said this was in part joking? dont take it to heart I am sure they will understand you weren't trying to 'poach' their customers.

Nicola Carlyle
14-06-2013, 12:18 PM
I agree that you have done nothing wrong. Everyone has to start somewhere and to be honest I'd be wary if anyone telling me I was I big trouble as I had cause commotion to other childminders. I personally feel that we should all be there to help each other. Business is business and if I have a parent come to look at me and other minders but decide to go with them, that really is fine by me. Parents generally will only send their children somewhere they feel happy with. I bet they had to advertise somewhere when they first started! Tut tut in my opinion (I say as I shake my head) I really wish the linger standing childminders would be more supportive instead of negative or offensive. (I know that's not the case for them all lol)

Good on you fit getting your name out there. x

SJ35
14-06-2013, 12:19 PM
I only speak to the childminders that I did my course with really.
It's a shame as I would like to get involved more locally but I definately feel like its very clicky.

Don't worry about it, there are lots of nice, non clicky childminders out there!!!
Good luck in your new business!! My Facebook page hasn't brought me any business yet most of mine have been from Childcare.co.uk, netmums, and word of mouth.
Stacey x

abzbargs
14-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone, You've all made me feel so much better now, I laughed out loud at the 'chopped up push-chair in my bed' comment:laughing:
I think I have to get a bit stronger, as I am naturally a people pleaser and don't like to offend anyone.

It's a tough business, this childminding malarkey!

Shamai
14-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Anyone who thinks you are a threat is not 100% confident of their own ability as a childminder. You have done absolutely nothing wrong and I want to wish you good luck in your new business :clapping: Just come on here, we are never clicky :D x

donna porter
14-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Any good childminder will keep their children ( cos who would leave a childminder when thchild is happy?) . All you were doing was advertising

donna porter
14-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Sorry my phone went all weird then.what I was trying to say was that any good childminder wouldn't worry cos no parent would take a child away from a minder that they were happy with. Good luck x

Mouse
14-06-2013, 02:41 PM
I would forget about it & carry on with your advertising. Perhaps next time you see any of them you could make a bit of a joke about it.

I had a new childminder hand me one of her leaflets at school one day. She was really embarrassed when I told her I was a childminder, but I wasn't at all bothered by it and invited her to our weekly group.

Jods
14-06-2013, 03:30 PM
lol!! crack on with it hun!! the click round here is so ridiculous - for example went to one toddler group started chatting to a longstanding CM, at the next group CM toddler group she would not even acknowledge me!!

The support from existing CM for newbies is pathetic round here x and I would say that if someone is scared of loosing their clients well what are they doing wrong, I would rather be open and friendly to new CM's as this also helps build my/a reputation, plus we can exchange clients if for example I cant accommodate but I know someone who might - that's just plain professionalism IMO x

kellyskidz!
14-06-2013, 03:33 PM
like the mafia, don't worry you won't find a chopped up pushchair in your bed :laughing:

HAHAHAHAHA I spat my tea out when I read that!!

kellyskidz!
14-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Don't worry about it, jealous silly women.
And whoever said you're in trouble with the childminder wants to put her spoon down and stop stirring the pot! Nothing to do with her, and how dare she try to make you feel bad.
You sent a friend request, so what? You didn't steal a client or stand in the playground with a banner saying 'SEND ME YOUR KIDS'
Just ignore it, and smile your hardest at them all- it will kill them to see you doing well and by not being bothered they will be more annoyed!
Pathetic how some cms don't stick together and welcome others, they forget they were new to this once!

shortstuff
14-06-2013, 03:55 PM
as everyone else has said you did nothing wrong. A friend request is just that, no one made them accept.

I hope you are soon as full as you would like and show the small minded people that you are a much more grounded person that doesnt need to play silly games.

lisbet
14-06-2013, 04:46 PM
*hug* Good advice from everyone ^

Makes me realise how lucky I've been - the childminders I've met in the playground and at the CM group have been really welcoming.

Hopefully you'll find some friendly ones soon x

merry
14-06-2013, 05:18 PM
I can't see that you've done anything wrong, nothing wrong with a bit of networking and advertising. I've had other childminders email me directly to ask me to pass on their vacancies if I get any calls I can't accommodate, I'm fine with that. I wouldn't try explaining any further through facebook, but if you see them at groups/training/school/etc it might be worth explaining that you're sorry if there's been a misunderstanding, you shouldn't really need to but it might make life easier if you can smooth things over.

:)