PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a dilema and need advice please

LilyB7
14-06-2013, 08:43 AM
I have a little boy in my charge, who is developing a massive fear of dogs. Bit of a problem as I have TWO!
I mind from my playroom, which is gated off from the hall, and the dogs are not allowed into the playroom, and wont attempt to come in even if the gate is open.
The child, who is 2 and a half, only comes in one day a week, is incredibly shy to start with (he wont join in group play, and doesn't speak to us if he can get away with it), he's the same when we go out. He's been coming for over a year, but is becoming more and more unsettled, and now tries to insist on the door being closed as well as the gate. This fear has only accelerated in the last month when he had bad experience at the printers with his mum.
Last Friday he spent the entire day either on my knee, or in the farthest corner of the playroom, always watching the door. This morning is looking like the same pattern. After a huge crying fit when Mum was leaving he's sat on my knee again. I also have a baby of 10 months and a second preschool child of 3 in my care today, but if I need to attend to the other children it is met with shakes of head and objections from the unsettled child.
Mum knows he's unsettled, I've told her that he's not happy in my care, but she's said that I'm the best childminder that she's found in the area, so wants him to stay here until he starts nursery in January.
Im appealing for help with the dog situation, even when he cant see them he cant relax knowing that they are here somewhere, I've tried distraction but its not worked, (I think his shyness is something which will never leave him).
Any suggestions please folks?