PDA

View Full Version : advice needed

dette
13-06-2013, 06:18 PM
hi x I thought id seen and done everything but came across something that has me stumped , I need help
I look after a beautiful sweet natured little boy(G) who is so happy all the time ,he is 13mnth old and not yet mobile but really content all the time ,pretty much a perfect child. I've had him for about 2 months 3 days a week I also have a tiny baby (D)who is nearly 4 month old ,had her for 2 months now and she is full time .
Today the tiny baby found her voice and started squealing with delight and gurgling it was really sweet, but every time she does it the little 13month old starts to cry ,and then this makes the little baby cry .I've always been aware that G would cry if someone else cried but this hasn't been an issue as I tend to have a happy household and any tears are usually very brief.i obviously cant expect the little baby not to make noises ,I've tried playing some music quite close to G hoping that would kind of drown out the noise but it didn't help, he even cries if i'm holding him at the time, its so sad.I'll try anything so please get your thinking caps on xxxxx

JMcG
13-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Oh dear sounds difficult but I suspect it will just pass with time once he gets used to it. Sorry that's not very proactive is it! Just reassure him lots every time she does it and react her new found voice with pleasure so he sees that its a nice thing not scary.

Cottonsocks
13-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Didn't want to read & run but just to let you know my thinking cap is firmly on. I've never encountered this either so don't know of any tips to try unfortunately.... but I'm thinking!

sarah707
13-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Is he normally quite sensitive to sound? Some children cannot cope with certain sounds in the high register like squeals and take a while to get used to them :(

Hugs to the little ones x

CLL
13-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Oh dear. I had a new one start last week and they kept setting each other off. It only lasted a few days. Hopefully the shock will wear off soon. No advice sorry, don't think there is anything you can do to stop him crying when it happens.

hectors house
13-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I had one like this - he hates sudden noises, babies crying, hand dryers, the mixer when making cakes etc - sorry to tell you mine did it until he was nearly 4! I even spoke to his Nursery about it for suggestions but even though they were an "outstanding" nursery they couldn't offer any advice. I did do a mini topic on babies and how children grow with him to try to explain to him that a baby cries because he can't talk and it is up to all of us to try to guess what the baby is trying to tell us - but yours is too young for this.

Supernanny86
13-06-2013, 08:07 PM
I have one like this, anything sets him off!! Brother crying, washing machine, mixer, Hoover, lawnmover etc etc!! Keep waiting for him to grow out of it but no sign yet!!

Sorry I have no ideas either but you're not alone!! :)

The Juggler
13-06-2013, 08:44 PM
oh dear! maybe he thought she was just a dolly and now she makes a noise - she's surprised and scared him ???

I agree with Sarah about the noise though. Next time she is vocal and he is upset just say in a very jolly voice to him "look at the baby, she is laughing, and talking to us, shall we talk back to her?" and sit him on your lap and talk back to her. Not sure it will work, but worth a try.

I had 2 afraid of loud noises (tree cutters, diggers) but we watched for short periods me talkign like mad about what was happening, the motors that made the loud noises, isn't it noisy etc, etc. They are better now but it was a slow process.

good luck

MessybutHappy
13-06-2013, 09:31 PM
A bit off base, but if it's a shock / surprise, might it help if you and he recorded his voice and he played it back? It has stopped my lot mid tantrum before, I use my phone to record the awful racket and then play it back immediately, I think it works because they hear themselves iyswim? Your little man may be too young though, but if he hears himself, and you and then the baby, maybe it will reassure him in some way?

This sounds more than a little daft now I write it, but still!

clareelizabeth1
14-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Hugs to you and the little man

I used to look after one that was the same happiest little man in the world but dog bark, baby squeal army plane fly over head and we were left with a sobbing heap.

Talked to mum she said he was worse with her and wouldn't let her go to any groups with other children. So we cut everything right back and concentrated on him getting used to this one little girl. It took months but now he's such a happy confident man. I am so glad we didn't push him in to things like everyone was telling us too.

dette
14-06-2013, 07:39 AM
thanks so much for all your relies.when I talked to his mammy about it she said he cried once when a lady talked to him with a high pitched voice so I do think it is the pitch.we also talked about the surprise factor ,this funny noise suddenly coming from baby.we talked about buying a crying baby doll !!

smurfette
14-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Sometimes they just aren't used to the noise, I have one who was like this, he is grand now but took him a couple of months, I have another one who went through a phase of shrieking and it set him off! Still not overly keen on noisy places, has got used to toddlers and is fine unless he is tired but can't cope with music classes, he has moved his day now so will be here every week for that so I am sure it will come!

Samijanec
14-06-2013, 07:53 AM
I haven't encountered this but like everyone says I hope he gets used to it soon, sounds like an awful situation for you right now though :(

partyrings
14-06-2013, 08:19 AM
I have a 2.5 year old little boy in my setting that does the same. He gets very upset by any high pitch or unexpected noise. He went for a hearing test arranged through his gp and it turns out that he does has a sensitive hearing condition. (It has a fancy name) it can be very difficult in a small setting when you have babies etc..but I even have had to stop story/music time as it causes him distress...we are now working with outside agencies to give support to the child and family as it is something that will and does effect their everyday life.

Samijanec
14-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I have a 2.5 year old little boy in my setting that does the same. He gets very upset by any high pitch or unexpected noise. He went for a hearing test arranged through his gp and it turns out that he does has a sensitive hearing condition. (It has a fancy name) it can be very difficult in a small setting when you have babies etc..but I even have had to stop story/music time as it causes him distress...we are now working with outside agencies to give support to the child and family as it is something that will and does effect their everyday life.

Poor little mite, that mush be dreadful for him and his parents. It's amazing how many things are out there that we have no idea exist isn't it..

jackie 7
14-06-2013, 10:27 AM
I have now looked after so many boys who are like this that I now expect that I will have to get them used to noise. One who screamed at the hove before it went on used it yesterday. I get them used to noise by using the vac as low as possible. I think you have to tell him that the baby will make noise and if he cries you will comfort him I think he will get used to if in time.