Smiley
13-06-2013, 08:08 AM
You must have had an early start!

hectors house
13-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Gosh you sure know how to have fun!:D

Simona
13-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Fun it was NOT....my head is spinning with so much information, figures, this and that and...above all an Ofsted presentation that was exactly the same as the one I saw at the PLA conference

Sharon arrived after the Ofsted HMI gave her speech and when I put my hand up for 1st question she said 'I know that lady'...oh yes you do Sharon and I put a question to Ofsted

I need a break as I have just got back but will come back later with some feedback (we will get a transcript as the conference was recorded) but leave you with this bit of good news
Sharon will table a question in the HoC to ask who the 60 people interested in agencies are... and KidsUnlimited were at the conference and said they are in the Task and Finish group but not interested...in fact they asked a question that proved they are worried!!!

Simona
13-06-2013, 09:03 PM
A short feedback for you until I get the transcript
Once again I was encouraged by the support against agencies and worry on all sides by what they will achieve/do
Also many experts believe the 2 year olds are better off with cms and many expressed how they value cms...

-OFSTED Linda McLarty HMI

She read from the same script I heard before... about improving quality, the 8 Oftsed Regions set up to support weaker providers, how she would address cms issues separately, new grading to requires improvement which will affect cms as well from Sept 2013 but are not to be backdated

I asked her if she would give me an answer as Sue Gregory did not last Friday:
Why will you not include independent cms in this support if we have no LA support?

Not a clear answer because all due to agencies having to be decided

I asked her why we need to wait for agencies to be sorted when vast majority of cms not interested...who is interested in agencies anyway?
KidsUnlimited asked what model would be successful since the Dutch one has failed? They are worried about agencies also worried that Ofsted support is a conflict of interest

- Jane O'Brien NatCen Social Reserach
In charge of a new study that has been commissioned by DfE to establish if funding is having an effect, it will take 8 years and 1000 settings will be visited including cms.

The study will track children from 2 until end of KS1...similar to EPPE and the Perry preschool projects run in America

-NDNA
Said FE is not enough to cover costs of delivering high quality

-Pacey Liz Bayram
We need to celebrate childcare professionals who have told pacey they feel undervalued (not once was the word cm spoken ..we are now childcare professionals ...I found that sad)
IPPR research out soon...it tells them we want more regulation not less
Members agree on re-inspections
pacey not in Task and Finish group because members do not agree with agencies (I still believe they should be there to listen and observe!!)

-Ben Thomas UNISON
Agrees with Truss staff are underpaid
Workforce needs a voice
Disagrees with comparisons to other countries
Qualifications do not always lead to higher pay

-Elaine Nuttall Head teacher
Although reluctant at first now happy she has a nursery unit, would be happy to have 2 year olds as free flow play would be available
Believes transitions are easier within the school...moving from class to class

I asked 3 questions:
1. Reason why there has been a drop in cms is also due to losing children to school early? are 2 year olds ready for school?
2. should FE be index linked and should we subsidise childcare?
3. Fine to have re-inspections but must be aware of what it would cost?

Someone asked if children should be ready for school or schools ready for children
Very passionate argument for stay at home mums and families values. Should women be pushed back in employment?

-Matt Rey HM treasury
Explained about new free childcare tax compared to present c/vouchers
Richer families gain, poor families lose!! (that says it all really)

-Danish Ambassador
Stunned everyone by saying Denmark funds 75% of childcare Parents only pay 25 %, less if not high earners
Women do go back to work after a year but have choices after maternity leave which is shared with fathers
Childcare administered by local authorities and based on govt policy (I take this to mean no variations on how implemented...that's what we need !!!)
Childcare funded by taxpayers, parents pay the rest
Rtaios: no regulation but 1:3 for young children 1:6 for older ones (where does truss get her figures from)
Denmark one of the happiest people in research!!

-Family and Childcare Trust
we need quality, affordable and widely accessible
Worried about LAs role
Agencies a worry too
Cms need more business support ..need for agencies? which models?? 70% cms against agencies

Sharon said Labour was looking at the Danish model and the 5bn funding has to have some 'leaky buckets'...they need to find out where the leaks are, where is the money going (I am sure we have ideas)
Labour CCommission to be open for another year until party ready to launch manifest closer to election...

That's it...nothing you don't know but reassuring that no one agrees with Truss!

sarah707
13-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Wow thank you Simona you have obviously had a very busy day!

Sleep well :D