PDA

View Full Version : Epipen advice

taiwallis
12-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi again - i fleet in and i fleet out but i do read and try to comment when necessary -

I guess i know already the answer to this but i need back up - so to speak.

I have had a child for 1 day a week who is aliphatic lactose dairy proteins for the last 6 mths - he has to be given a strict diet, which i provide and worse case scenario he has a dose of drugs orally i give and have to call an ambulance immediately.

So far no worries -

he is coming for his last day tomorrow and when i enquired what time he arrived mum has sent a text saying he was in hosp for 3 hrs yesterday and now needs an epi pen.

Can i take him with no training - or is it something that she can train me immediatly?
xxx

Any advice x
Cx

lisbet
12-06-2013, 09:00 PM
They are really easy to use. Mum will be able to show you when she drops LO off, and I think it even has the instructions on the side, if I remember rightly.

Pixie dust
12-06-2013, 09:06 PM
I am interested in people's experience with these as I have a family coming to visit who has one. Wondering what extra paperwork I will need in place if any apparently the child has a careplan in place so I will find out more when they visit.

supermumy
12-06-2013, 09:11 PM
I thought to be covered you need training on how and when to use them ??

lisbet
12-06-2013, 09:21 PM
I thought to be covered you need training on how and when to use them ??

We had training on how to use them as part of first aid but do you need training from a specific person, then? Like an allergy nurse? Is it to be covered for public liability? Have a LO signed up for a few months time who may need one, so don't want to get anything wrong!

tashaleee
12-06-2013, 09:55 PM
You should get training on it - if its not covered on your first aid course then ring your doctors and get an appointment with the nurse who will let you use a dummy one and tell you all about them.

You need to know how severe a reaction is (not everyone who has an epi pen has a life threatening reaction, but some people do). Ive also been advised (yes I have one myself) to take an antihistimine straight afterwards as well, then I need to go to hospital for 6-8 hours for monitoring (but everyone is different, so each care plan is different)

If anyone wants to PM me with specific questions feel free in case I miss this thread :thumbsup:

sarah707
12-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Have a read through here - it explains things on page 3 -

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Giving medication to children in registered childcare (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-giving-medication-children-registered-childcare)

'If the training relates to generic medication such as administering EpiPens then your staff do not have to have training for each individual child.'

You should have had Epipen training as part of your First Aid course... that plus permission and info from parents will be enough.

hth :D