PDA

View Full Version : what do I do?

chris goodyear
12-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Last December I met a family who wanted care for two school children starting the beginning of January. Mum was pregnant and we agreed that I would have the baby as well probably in July when baby would be about two months old. We drew up a contract but I received no retainer as we were due to start in a matter of weeks. Dad then went to work for an agency to help out with the children to give mum a hand as she was feeling the strain of being pregnant and working long hours. Consequently I have only had the two schoolies about 3 times in all this time. Baby is now born and although I see mum at the school we haven't discussed what is going to happen. The thing is I have held 3 places for 6 months but luckily have not had to turn many away (I have an assistant so numbers are o.k.) Now I'm getting enquiries and don't know whether to take on new children and hope I can fit everyone in if and when the first family come back or to hang on in anticipation of filling 3 places in one swoop, also 2 current families have increased their days recently leaving me with less vacancies. Any thoughts?

Rick
12-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I would ask original family what is going on as you have now had some enquiries. You have been generous holding the places for so long. It is now time to put your business head on and get some answers

rosebud
12-06-2013, 04:36 PM
I would ask original family what is going on as you have now had some enquiries. You have been generous holding the places for so long. It is now time to put your business head on and get some answers

Absolutely right. Just tell them you need to make a living and are checking whether they will need you in the near future before you take anyone else on - first refusal if you like. If they want you then they need to agree to some contracted hours or risk losing the places, keep it friendly and then if you do still have the spaces when they want them they'll come back to you.

hectors house
12-06-2013, 06:37 PM
I have a mindee one day a week while his mum is home on maternity leave (he is at nursery other 2 days), I have been asked to have baby in Oct or November 2 days a week, I remembered that I did originally have a deposit for the older child before he started so although I now know the family and have minded older child for over 2 years I am still going to ask for deposit next month for the baby, especially as I remember last time she kept moving the start date back. This time I am going to ask for deposit, ask for start date and if she moves date I will be asking for half fee retainer, I suggest you think of doing something similar.