PDA

View Full Version : Angry at school ahhhh

Mrsh3103
12-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Tonight I picked my 4yo son up from school. He walked out with the biggest lump on his forehead I have ever seen!!! I asked him what had happened & he said at lunch time he hit his head on the railings.
I asked his teacher what had happened she said "he bumped his head while playing at lunch time. Kids can be so clumsy can't they"

If this was to happen to a child while they are in my care I'm pretty sure I have to notify the parent immediately as its a head injury.
I've checked in his book bag & there isn't an accident book slip so I don't think they've even reported it.
I'm so angry. Rant over!

BuggsieMoo
12-06-2013, 04:05 PM
My DD who is 6 came out of school with a massive black eye last week. She was handed over to me from her line without so much as a mention from her teacher. Needless to say I marched her back to ask what on earth had happened (im talking a black eye she couldnt open that was deep purple in colour). I got informed a boy had smacked her at lunchtime because he 'was like that when he couldnt get his own way' and that it was only a slight bump then. I mentioned evidently not as she cant even open it now and its black. More importantly why was I not informed. School couldnt give me any answers and like you I had no call, no accident book note, no sticker, no head bump letter - nowt. I was even more annoyed as the day after she was meeting the Duchess of Cornwall and the schools response was - ah she'll be alright with a bit of foundation!!!

I hope your son is ok. xx I think its shocking how they dont deem it necessary to inform us. Id never dream of treating my parents like this.

supermumy
12-06-2013, 04:11 PM
My kids school ring home at the slightest head injury just to inform parents an than a letter also gets sent home

Hope his ok x

Mrsh3103
12-06-2013, 04:42 PM
He's fine thanks :)

I'm so angry. If they had phoned me I would have picked him up! How can 1 teacher looking after 30 kids keep a close enough eye on him to make sure he hasn't got concussion.
I have major issues with the way his school is run. But no matter how many meetings with the head teacher I have nothing gets done.

It seems like I'm having meetings with her every week at the moment :-/

adele1985
12-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Aw glad he's okay
Mindee (4) came out of nursery today with a big egg on her head teacher said she had tried to phone mum but couldent get through
Explained to dad on collection he wasn't very impressed about not being phoned by the school himself as mum was in meetings all day

Memina
12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
My son bumped his head on the playground floor and I was contacted. I was told he'd fallen but was fine to remain in school.

I asked if he'd cried as my son never cries and she said yes. I was down that school so fast!

I think I would complain as head injuries are so dangerous.

Tazmin68
12-06-2013, 06:47 PM
I must admit our school is very good always accident slips in book bags for anything that happens.

loocyloo
12-06-2013, 07:30 PM
at our old primary school my ds bumped heads with another child at lunchtime. dinner ladies sorted it out and bump note was given.

when I collected afterschool ds was looking very pale & green, and told me he felt sick and had a bump on his head ( small egg ).

I went to talk to the teacher who had been teaching him that afternoon ( covering PPA time ) ... she said he hadn't said anything to her and she didn't know anything about it.

took ds home ... thankfully my assistant was working as I ended taking him to A&E with concussion! luckily ok, but could have been a lot worse.

I spoke to head teacher the next day and said I was concerned, especially as the teacher hadn't noticed a very pale green child! plus explained that I would have to phone parents, issue bump note with instructions on what to look out as regards concussion etc. head teacher spoke to dinner ladies/looked in medical book ... yes, all written up. spoke to teacher who said ' I told the childminder child had bumped head and was a bit quiet, she must not have told the parent ' :angry: head teacher told teacher that yes, she had told the childminder, but the childminder happened to be childs MOTHER! ( teacher was in a bit of bother after that! as she then also said that ds should have told her didn't feel well and should have told her he had bumped his head)

anyway, the upshot was, that the school still don't routinely phone parents, but if any sort of mark/lump they do, and all teachers are then told of any child who has bumped their head, and told to keep an eye on them, and that it is NOT the responsilbility of the child to tell the teacher. all children are given bump stickers as well! ( although these can get lost/jumper taken off! ) the 'bump' note that gets sent home has info about concussion on it.

however, our new school DO phone for every head bump, and head teacher even brought DS home for me one day as I was stuck with 3 LO asleep! ( this is a much much smaller school, in a rural setting, rather than a big school in an urban setting )

Little Puddings
13-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Our primary school phones if head injuries but my son's secondary school didn't. He had his head banged on the ground by another boy, gone to the medical room with a graced forehead and feeling ill. Because he wouldn't report the other boy they didn't phone me, they let him cycle the 3 miles home along a busy road feeling dizzy and a headache. Phoned him in sick the next day saying mild concussion due to incident at school so she asked had I taken him to doctors said no and pointed out I know what to look for as I have done my first aid training 3 times now. Never thought of phoning the school on the second day or third and on the third day off the welfare officer called, she wasn't even aware of the incident. Told her I was extremely unhappy that they failed to inform me and that they let him cycle home particularly as once before when he had fallen over and hurt his elbow they would let him walk home with his bike, they said he had to be collected.

Mrsh3103
13-06-2013, 10:57 AM
I just had a phone call from the school asking why my son has a bump on his head & why I didn't notify the teacher at drop off about it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am absolutely fuming!
His normal teacher is off & it's a supply teacher today.
I told them it had happened at school yesterday & why didn't they know about this. I said surely its in your accident book. The receptionist who phoned said I'll have a look. 5 minutes later she came back & said yes it is written in there, I'm sorry to trouble you & hung up on me. I have phoned back and asked to have a meeting with the head teacher tonight.
I need to calm down a bit before I speak to her.

supermumy
13-06-2013, 10:59 AM
More like they just wrote it in

bunyip
13-06-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm staggered at what schools can get away with, especially as any head injury should be taken seriously.

I once had to collect my grand-daughter after a head injury at our local "outstanding" school. They couldn't get shot of her fast enough, but the accident report bore no relation to her account of what happened, and no-one knew who the duty first aider attending had been. They had no after-care advise or leaflet, and said they don't inform parents of potential after-effects as it might "cause them to worry".

Some time later they introduced an after-care leaflet. Easy to spot as it was one of mine, used without permission. They'd taken it from my mindee's bag, Tippex-ed out the name and run photocopies. :mad:

I have another row with them this week. My mindee came home and reported a blow to the face resulting in a nosebleed which the PE teacher did not treat. They have no record of it, say the child is lying and refuse to sign my existing injuries slip. Mum is going to complain.

vals
13-06-2013, 12:08 PM
My daughter fainted in the middle of a race at sports day at high school. She has never fainted before, and had seemed well. She went to the medical room for a while, then her friend came along and they asked if they could leave a few minutes early so that she didn't rush for the train, and off they went. Luckily she wasn't actually catching a train, they just used that as a way to leave early! But this wasn't all that long after she had fainted and no one rang me.
and yet another time, at the same school, she had a reaction to one of new injections they have, and a member of staff drove her straight home.

kellib
13-06-2013, 12:18 PM
My son has came out of school twice now with huge bumps on his head, both times his teachers said they didn't notice it and that he never told them about it!

I was not impressed and made that very clear to the school!

watgem
13-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I could write a book on this with my 8 children lol-coming out of primary with black eye-eggheads-broken nose and such a high temperature my youngest couldn't speak she was so ill, to top it all my number 4 child in secondary recieved an injury to his arm playing football and the teacher said you might want to go to casualty with that when you finish school-he came home having spent the afternoon in agny with a broken arm :angry: I never could understand why there is one rule for us and a different one for schools.

bunyip
13-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I could write a book on this with my 8 children lol-coming out of primary with black eye-eggheads-broken nose and such a high temperature my youngest couldn't speak she was so ill, to top it all my number 4 child in secondary recieved an injury to his arm playing football and the teacher said you might want to go to casualty with that when you finish school-he came home having spent the afternoon in agny with a broken arm :angry: I never could understand why there is one rule for us and a different one for schools.

I think we're easier to replace than a school. :(

OTOH, I'd almost expect the Tories to be looking for faults with schools so they have another excuse to convert them into 'academies' and say what a wonderful job they're doing. :p

charleyfarley
17-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Some schools are a law unto themselves. I was talking to a parent last week and her son had fell in the playground and knocked his 2 front teeth clean out!! Not only that but he also broke his nose, there was blood everywhere!! Parent was phoned but doesn't drive so had to get a lift to school to be quicker. I'd have thought in this instance the school should have phoned an ambulance!!!!!!! Oh and at the time there was only 1 dinner lady on the playground and she was chatting to another child.

Fast forward to last Friday. I got stopped by assistant head on the playground to say my dd had had a fall in PE and fell on her arm badly, it was swollen, she was in obvious pain and felt sick. I asked them where the sling was and the Headmaster replied '' I'm not very good at those'' Luckily her arm is ok and not broken but I didn't even receive a phone call about it and it happened at the beginning of the PE lesson.

I think schools need to step it up, if it was us we'd be hung, drawn and quartered for not doing things correctly

Carol xxx

jackie 7
18-06-2013, 10:59 AM
If we did these things ofsted would remove our registration. So why does it not happen at school? Does a broken arm not need to be told to ofsted?

Tazmin68
18-06-2013, 11:07 AM
I had a call once to pick up a senior school child who had an accident during pe was told it might be worth getting him checked over. He was doing long jump another child raked over the sand told him to jump and the rake was not moved quick enough and wooden handle of rake went into shoulder. Teacher was no where close to the long jump site. This child had a broken collarbone.

Mrsh3103
18-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Tonight one of my mindee's had a red mark across his neck. I asked what had happened & he just shrugged! I filled in an existing injuries form & got mum to sign when she collected.

His mum has just phoned me H has finally told her that he got hit in the neck by a skipping rope. No teachers saw it happen & they boy who did it said sorry!

She is struggling to work out what to do. I have told her to do nothing until she calms down! We think her son is being bullied but nothing has been done by the school.

Any advise off you lovely people would be appreciated :)

bunyip
18-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Some schools are a law unto themselves. I was talking to a parent last week and her son had fell in the playground and knocked his 2 front teeth clean out!! Not only that but he also broke his nose, there was blood everywhere!! Parent was phoned but doesn't drive so had to get a lift to school to be quicker. I'd have thought in this instance the school should have phoned an ambulance!!!!!!! Oh and at the time there was only 1 dinner lady on the playground and she was chatting to another child.

I'm willing to bet I know why they didn't call an ambulance. If a member of the public is taken from the scene of the accident directly to hospital with a fracture, then the incident is legally reportable under RIDDOR. With any luck, the parent did indeed take them straight to hospital, and not home first. If that's the case, they can demand to see the RIDDOR report immediately, and notify the Health and Safety Executive if it is not immediately forthcoming from the school.

charlottenash
18-06-2013, 06:11 PM
A school here puts a 'I've had a bump' sticker on child's uniform and bag. Also a detailed accident slip if its that serious

Chamilia
18-06-2013, 06:12 PM
My son's school must be in the minority. I was called to collect my son as he had banged his head during playtime and was quite upset by it. When I got there he was sitting in reception and I was told that while waiting for me to arrive (I only took 5 minutes) they had become concerned as he seemed to become a little lethargic and was complaining that his neck hurt, so they had called an ambulance and were waiting for it to arrive. The paramedics came, gave him a thorough check over and gave him an all clear, but I was impressed with how seriously everyone took the injury and I was given very clear instructions on what to look out for.

blue bear
18-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I've got to say pur senior school has been brilliant when my lads have needed medical attention/ambulances. They really do look after them like I would.