PDA

View Full Version : Another question regarding my daughters ADHD

JMcG
12-06-2013, 02:23 PM
So my daughter has ADHD, she's 9, she lively, loud and overly friendly (will plonk herself down on a mindees parents knee without warning which can be embarrassing). Luckily the families I work with so far are really lovely & friendly with her. I speak openly with one mum & dad about her condition. Haven't mentioned it to the other families but always feel like maybe it is something I should be telling them about. 1) because we aren't ashamed of it and it helps people understand 2) it explains some of her immature behaviour. Obviously I also have concerns about being totally open until I feel totally comfortable with the families, I mean at what point do I bring it up? Is it deceitful not to mention it early on? It could potentially put people off using me, although I'd hate to work with someone so small minded.

Just wondering, how would you approach it?

ziggy
12-06-2013, 02:28 PM
My daughter, now at uni, has severe dyspraxia and dyslexia, she often appears quite rude and arrogant. I usually drop it into conversation when i mention i have attended courses on behavioural problems.

I've found it is quite helpful and at least one parent was more than happy when i mentioned concerns about her own child.

If parents are put off then i personally wouldnt want to mind their children.

JMcG
12-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Thats really helpful Ziggy, a great way to drop it into conversation! I have been on a few courses including positive parenting the principles of which I use in my work. I didn't wanted bring it up in a way that seems like I'm mentioning it because it could be a problem at all if you see what I mean?

ziggy
12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Yeah i know just what you mean. Not sure my daughter would like me using her as an example but i always say after coping through her childhood plus a nightmare pregnancy this job is a walk in the park lol:laughing::laughing::laughing:

When 2yr old girl mindee throws herself on floor having tantrum, i just say 'oh that's nothing compared to what my daughter used to do' then smile and walk away, she soon gets up

rosebud
12-06-2013, 04:51 PM
My daughter, now at uni, has severe dyspraxia and dyslexia, she often appears quite rude and arrogant. I usually drop it into conversation when i mention i have attended courses on behavioural problems.

I've found it is quite helpful and at least one parent was more than happy when i mentioned concerns about her own child.

This is really good advice - its a positive not a negative. You are already experienced as a parent of a child with additional needs and at managing behaviour and are therefore in an excellent position to offer struggling parents (and who doesn't struggle?!?) support and guidance. I would snap you up!

JMcG
12-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks to both, you've put a new perspective on the situation for me!

sarah707
12-06-2013, 08:14 PM

This is my feeling too xx