PDA

View Full Version : Is it reasonable to ask for a 20min earlier collection so I can get my haircut!?

JMcG
12-06-2013, 12:49 PM
So I've asked both dads to collect today to come 20 mins earlier so that I can make a hair appointment. I rarely ask for time off and one dad usually comes at this time anyway. Sure I could get it done at the weekend but the salon I like to use offered 50% off my colour on a Wednesday. Both dads said sure no problem. It I hadn't said why and now I'm feeling really guilty and not sure what to say if they ask what I'm doing tonight!!! And obviously they'll see my new hair do tomorrow too (if they notice lol, they are men!)

What do you think?

Rick
12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
The reason for you wanting an earlier pick up is none of their business, you are entitled to a life away from childminding. You have asked and they are ok with it so that's all you need to do!

FussyElmo
12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Depends would you be annoyed if the mum wanted to be late because of an hair appointment :thumbsup:

Rick
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Depends would you be annoyed if the mum wanted to be late because of an hair appointment :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be annoyed if:
They asked me in good time (I always try and be helpful)
If I was free to look after the LO a bit longer
If they paid me the extra :D

FussyElmo
12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't be annoyed if:
They asked me in good time (I always try and be helpful)
If I was free to look after the LO a bit longer
If they paid me the extra :D

I like being flexible and I kept the lo half an hour later because mum was doing race for life and dad was running later at no cost. But in fairness I think hairdresser, beauty appointments would annoy me.

However I do see why the op has done done it 40% off is a good offer and your dads have said yes so its all good :thumbsup:

caz3007
12-06-2013, 01:18 PM
We often try to be flexible with our families but it does work both ways. Dads have said ok, so go and enjoy your pampering

caz3007
12-06-2013, 01:18 PM
We often try to be flexible with our families but it does work both ways. Dads have said ok, so go and enjoy your pampering, just say you have an appointment if asked, they don't need to know what sort of appointment

JMcG
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Lol thanks ladies. I know I can't lie so just hope they don't ask, or feel annoyed if they do ask and I tell them! It is interesting to see what others think regarding this. I'm very flexible with both families and never charge if they're occasionally late etc, and that was once because Dad was having his hair cut! He dud call to ask if it was ok. I also frequently babysit in the evenings for one of the little ones & take him home straight from work to do his bedtime routine etc so hope it's one little thing occasionally that they won't mind but wish I'd been upfront about the reason in the first place. We'll see wont we :D

FussyElmo
12-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Lol thanks ladies. I know I can't lie so just hope they don't ask, or feel annoyed if they do ask and I tell them! It is interesting to see what others think regarding this. I'm very flexible with both families and never charge if they're occasionally late etc, and that was once because Dad was having his hair cut! He dud call to ask if it was ok. I also frequently babysit in the evenings for one of the little ones & take him home straight from work to do his bedtime routine etc so hope it's one little thing occasionally that they won't mind but wish I'd been upfront about the reason in the first place. We'll see wont we :D

Like you said they are men probably wont notice. I dyed my hair a purple on Monday dh came down today and asked if I had. How did he know because he had seen the packaging in the bin:rolleyes:

Mouse
12-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I once asked a parent if they would mind collecting early on a Friday as I was being collected to go on a spa weekend & needed time to get ready. The other option was for me to take a half day holiday. Mum was more than happy - it was an excuse for her to leave work early :laughing:

At the end of the day, you know your parents & what your relationship is like with them. I know I wouldn't mind asking most of mine and in fact, many of them offer to collect early if I tell them I'm off out somewhere. In return, I am happy to help when these parents need to drop off early or collect late.