PDA

View Full Version : New car seat regulations

cherry
11-06-2013, 05:36 PM
I was sent this article by another childminder. Has anybody heard about this and wouldn't a child's legs at 15 months be a bit long to face the rear. I could see some of mine kicking the seat.

Child car seat confusion: Our guide to the new regulations and products - Parentdish UK (http://www.parentdish.co.uk/baby/child-car-seat-confusion-guide-to-the-new-regulations-and-products/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D182869)

chriss
11-06-2013, 06:05 PM
It does say to go by the childs height, but cannot see many 15 month olds fitting a rear facing seat

tulip0803
11-06-2013, 06:13 PM
These new rules only apply to ISOFIX seats in ISOFIX fitted cars. These seats will be called I-size seats and will be available soon so they should allow for the size of a 15 month old. Nothing is changing yet for belted seats

All mine travelled backwards as long as possible as it is safer. I have a 2 year old that is collected and goes home still rearward facing. In Scandinavian countries children travel backwards until they are 5.

vix84
11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
my 2 year 7 month old is rear facing and I plan to do this till age 4/5 and he is super comfortable, children usually choose to sit on their knee's or any other position other than legs in the normal seated position lol so he doesn't mind having his legs slightly bent, but yes Id recommend some of those shoe covers that pools use or a seat protector. Im planning on getting another rear facing seat for any mindee's I take on who are under 4 years. Hope it does become the norm. but also hope seat prices decrease and cars allow more space for them as new ones are being made!

Emra81
11-06-2013, 08:26 PM
My daughter is coming up 14 months, is on the larger side of average for her age and is super comfortable in her rear facing seat. We did a lot of research when she grew out of her baby seat and found this site really useful Rear Facing - the way forward (http://www.rearfacing.co.uk). There's some really interesting videos and info on there.

We deliberately got one that can also go forward facing for when she outgrows the rear facing option but it wasn't cheap so, although I hope it becomes law for them to be rear facing for longer (I think it's until 2 in the US and until at least 4 in some European countries), I also hope that they bring the prices down. I'd love to have rear facing for all of my younger mindees once I'm registered but I'd probably go out of business! :eek:

hectors house
11-06-2013, 08:46 PM
I hope car manufacturers are planning to make seat belts longer then as I have a group 0 car seat that is supposed to do from 0 to 4 but have never been able to install it rear facing as seat belts on old scenic too short and got a new scenic last year and still too short. I have to faff about using a carry style group 0 seat and then put forward facing when child too heavy.

bindy
11-06-2013, 08:46 PM
These new rules only apply to ISOFIX seats in ISOFIX fitted cars. These seats will be called I-size seats and will be available soon so they should allow for the size of a 15 month old. Nothing is changing yet for belted seats

All mine travelled backwards as long as possible as it is safer. I have a 2 year old that is collected and goes home still rearward facing. In Scandinavian countries children travel backwards until they are 5.

Not in Switzerland! Lived and worked there with children for 10 years, never did a child so old go in a rare car seat. Also if their head goes above the height of the seat it is dangerous, my daughter was very light at age 2 but because her head came above the back of the seat was told to put her forward facing!

tulip0803
11-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Not in Switzerland! Lived and worked there with children for 10 years, never did a child so old go in a rare car seat. Also if their head goes above the height of the seat it is dangerous, my daughter was very light at age 2 but because her head came above the back of the seat was told to put her forward facing!

I'm not talking about the baby carrier type rearward facing seats. There are rearward facing car seats designed for up to 18kgs (4-5 years) such as Britax Max-Fix Car Seat -Safety 1st Primeofix Car Seat. They are more expensive. Cars dealers like Volvo have been selling them since my DD2 was a baby and she is 9 years now.

Child Car Seats : Carrying Children Safely : Rearward-facing Child Car Seats for Children Under 4 Years Old (http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/carrying_safely/rearfacing.htm)

Emra81
11-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Yep my dd's is group 1 and 2...if you google britax two way elite and look at the images you'll see loads of pics of much older children in it. Dd still has hers slightly reclined as she still naps in the car a lot but it can be positioned slightly more upright which gives more leg room. I love it, can you tell?!

Chatterbox Childcare
11-06-2013, 10:14 PM
better broken legs than a broken neck

How many people have done car seat training? I was horrified at the results of a forward facing car seat and my little ones are in the stage 1 until there head is near the top (last one was 19 months when she came out)

chriss
11-06-2013, 10:37 PM
I have been offered a car seat from a friend, but just wondered if we are supposed to buy new. I am sure the seat has never been in an accident, but how do I stand as I cant absolutely guarantee it as it is not brand new.