PDA

View Full Version : how many of you have dogs??

adele1985
10-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I've read a few threads of other sites lately regarding child minders and dogs and I was very surprised with all the negative feed back from parents most who say they wouldn't even consider using a child minder with a dog

I have 2 dogs myself beau is a 3 year old German Shepard and she doesn't really see the children as she goes to work with my partner and max is a 3.5 year old lab and he stays with me all day at home while child mind

he's very friendly and has the run of the house (except the playroom) the children have supervised assess to him and love taking him for walks and playing with him - he is never left alone with the children he just comes with me if I go the loo etc.

just wondering how may of you have dogs and how prospective parents react to them

hectors house
10-06-2013, 03:10 PM
I have 2 dogs - they stay in the kitchen while I am minding unless we all take them out to fields for a walk - never had a parent object or turn me down because of it. Most parents like the fact that I have dogs as they know I am an outdoor sort of person and will take their children out.

SammySplodger
10-06-2013, 03:18 PM
I've read a few threads of other sites lately regarding child minders and dogs and I was very surprised with all the negative feed back from parents most who say they wouldn't even consider using a child minder with a dog

I have 2 dogs myself beau is a 3 year old German Shepard and she doesn't really see the children as she goes to work with my partner and max is a 3.5 year old lab and he stays with me all day at home while I childmind

he's very friendly and has the run of the house (except the playroom) the children have supervised assess to him and love taking him for walks and playing with him - he is never left alone with the children he just comes with me if I go the loo etc.

just wondering how may of you have dogs and how prospective parents react to them

I have a Westie-Poo: small, white, fluffy & friendly. Loves young children and has grown up with them. I am well aware that some parents are put off coming here due to my dog. I have had the occasional difficult conversation at first visit stage, so I always talk about her on the phone first.

As far as I'm concerned, she is a family pet and if parents don't want their children anywhere near a dog, then I am not the Childminder for them.

I have a pet policy, pet-specific RA and a system
of stairgates in the house and gate and fence across the garden (so I can separate dog from children when appropriate). But I do not cage/crate/shut away my dog all day long (a prospective parent once said she would only send her child to me if I did - no prizes for guessing what I decided to do?!).

Happily, I am not having difficulty filling spaces and most of my families are dog owners or would like to be, or grew up with dogs. But you need to accept that it WILL cut down on the number of potential clients.

AliceK
10-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I have a Springer Spaniel and I am also looking after my mums Labrador. I have always had dogs (and other pets too) and have always been full. I currently have a mix of mindees who have dogs at home and others who don't. All my advertising states I have dogs so I guess parents that are against it just wont call. It's never caused me a problem.

xxx

TooEarlyForGin?
10-06-2013, 04:45 PM
I also hate the really negative threads about dogs as though they are all potential killers! I feel animals give wonderful benefits to children, I mean they are being used in hospitals and special needs schools as there can be a great benefit for both pet and human. I have risk assessed and ensure my dog has somewhere to go away from the kids, he is fully up to date with inoculations etc. when we had to have our old 14 yo lab put down 2 years ago everyone was affected, we got a new pup and he has grown up with the children and is fantastic. Most of my families already have dogs and those that don't have said "we like it that you have pets so we don't have to".

I did have one lady who came and said she couldn't leave her child here as she was terrified of dogs (even though it is in all of my details), that's absolutely fine by me, I would give up minding before I would give up my dog, he is a member of my family. I'm not offended by anyone that doesn't want to use me because of my dog, but I get cross that so many automatically make judgements against minders with dogs before they even visit them.

I am lucky that I live in a very rural area where dogs are the norm, as well as cats, chickens etc etc.

Cows are more dangerous around here!!!

loocyloo
10-06-2013, 04:50 PM
we don't have a dog, but we sometimes have a friends dog when she goes away, and sometimes we borrow the dog for the day! the mindees love her and she is very soft and gentle. ( obviously never left alone with mindees etc )

all my parents are happy about this, as they either have a dog at home, or love the fact that their child gets to experience dogs at my house! I do tell prospective parents about the dog we borrow and so far, no one has been put off.

just met the cutest tiniest puppy this afternoon and will be taking mindees to visit!

Daisy De
10-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I have two Golden Retrievers, big dogs aged 3 and 5. They are not separated from the children apart from when we eat and that's only because I don't agree with dogs being fed from the table or begging for food, one of my pet hates. :panic: They do, however, have somewhere they can go if they don't want to be near the children but they rarely want to be away from us.

I mention my dogs in all my advertising on childcare.co.uk and first thing on the phone if I get any calls from other sources. I understand some people don't like animals for various reasons and I respect that but if you got as far as my house and I picked up negative vibes about the animals, I also have 2 cats, I would politely suggest my setting is not for you, it just wouldn't work.

On the other hand I have people come to me because of the dogs, they want their children to be around pets but don't want the expense and the daily walks. I have also had children come who are terrified of dogs and that fear has been overcome replaced by healthy respect for animals. By the way I do not allow any child to pull the dogs about, sit on them or frighten them in any way. As far as the cats are concerned I operate a no touch policy, cats are often far more unpredictable than dogs, but I do notice rarely is any one concerned about them!

In the end, there will be people who like your dogs and some who don't. I am full and have only actually had people not come to me because of allergies rather than the dogs themselves although obviously you wouldn't read my profile and still contact me if you didn't like animals. I never get into discussions about whether the dogs are kept out the way as I am always very upfront about them and their presence is non negotiable.

My advice, be upfront, risk assess, pet policy and permissions in place, then no one can say you haven't covered every angle :D

tulip0803
10-06-2013, 05:52 PM
I have a LabXwhippet and have had him since before I started childminding way way back. I have Had a couple of people over the years say that they would not use me because of the dog. I have had more families say they will use me because I have animals, I also have cats and over the years rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs and rats (the rats even secured me one child:))

I have had 2 families place there children with me because the parents were afraid of dog and they did not want their children to grow up the same.

My Mum would never have put me with a childminder with animals because I have allergies - as you can see they have improved!

Cottonsocks
10-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I've always had positive feedback when prospective parents hear about our Basset Hound & Poodle. 3 children have arrived being terrified of dogs (for no apparent reason). My 2 have soon won them round ;-)

lubeam
10-06-2013, 08:20 PM
I have a lab and she's amazing , she loves the kids and they love her , she likes to sneak in the room and lay on the rug as the los then lay with her :) we like to walk her, and talk about how to look after a dog their needs what's ok and not allowed , I'm full so can't be that bad :)

KatieFS
10-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Do you or have you advised ofsted of the fact uou have dogs!?!
My nvq assessor said I should as we have a dog. I haven't yet, but wanted to canvas opinion!
Also what do u cover in dog risk assess. and permission form???
Thanks all

kel1983
10-06-2013, 08:48 PM
We have my brother 3 year old staffi living with us now as he has moved in with a new partner who has a dog who Buddy doesn't get along with (yet). He is never allowed around the children for his and the childrens safety. We have one child who the odd occasion has met Buddy gets right in his face and he doesnt like it. He spends most days hiding under our spare bed or lying on it. He keeps himself to himself. We give him lots of attention in the evenings and weekends and when we go out in the day he gets free run of the house. We try and get him out in the garden in the mornings for an hour but he is so lazy and would rather go back to bed. Once a week he goes to my grans as she likes the company.

We havent had any problems with parents that have been to visit. We just explain the situation when they visit. I think we had one parent we told on the phone which turned around and said it puts them off. We are currently full (13 children in total) so cant be too much of a problem

lubeam
10-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Do you or have you advised ofsted of the fact uou have dogs!?!
My nvq assessor said I should as we have a dog. I haven't yet, but wanted to canvas opinion!
Also what do u cover in dog risk assess. and permission form???
Thanks all

Tilley was here when mrs o came , that's all the notice I gave
I have a RA for my dog , a policy for how I allow the kids around the dog , permission forms and a worming fleeing and injections sheet to show she's all up to date with everything :)
Hth

AliceK
11-06-2013, 07:24 AM
I've had dogs all my life so when I was registered Mrs O saw my then dog when she came for my Pre-reg visit. I had my graded inspection this year and I did advise her when she called me just out of courtesy but it turned out when she came and we were chatting that she too has dogs herself. As long as you have your RA re keeping children and the dog safe you certainly don't have to inform Ofsted.

xxx

hectors house
11-06-2013, 08:09 AM
I've always had positive feedback when prospective parents hear about our Basset Hound & Poodle. 3 children have arrived being terrified of dogs (for no apparent reason). My 2 have soon won them round ;-)

I thought you had a basset crossed with a poodle and was going to ask to see a photo but then I read your post again! Just that I have a Basset crossed with a springer spaniel - When we got him and took him to pet shop to buy a lead the assistant said you have to be careful with Basset puppies injuring their legs on stairs and we shouldn't encourage him to jump - I said it would be difficult being crossed with a Springer! :laughing:

little chickee
11-06-2013, 08:18 AM
I have 2 dogs. i had 3 when i first started minding.
Never been a problem with Care Inspectorate. My CI is actually highly allergic to all animlas but knows to take her medication before she vists.

I have only ever lost one family due to the dogs cos Dad was very allergic.
If it was the choice between minding and my dogs i'd stop minding!
Dogs pretty much have run of the house, i don't really separate them except at mealtimes which i do when its just my family too.

As long as kids and dogs arent left together unsupervised its fine.

mrs robbie williams
11-06-2013, 08:21 AM
i have big soppy black lab called mya who loves children - i only lock her in the kitchen while the children are eating - we take her out for a walk everyday and the kids and parents love her :) i have however had parents who wouldnt consider me because i had a dog - oh well, their loss :D

Cottonsocks
11-06-2013, 08:58 AM
I thought you had a basset crossed with a poodle and was going to ask to see a photo but then I read your post again! Just that I have a Basset crossed with a springer spaniel - When we got him and took him to pet shop to buy a lead the assistant said you have to be careful with Basset puppies injuring their legs on stairs and we shouldn't encourage him to jump - I said it would be difficult being crossed with a Springer! :laughing:

At least you'll have a Basset that likes going for walks! What an amazing combo. Our poodle would be on a walk all day long, but our 5 year old Basset runs and hides on her bed as soon as she sees her lead! (She's fine once she's out, but the idea of having to move fills her with dread).

dawn100
11-06-2013, 09:36 AM
I have 3 dogs, German shepherd, lurcher and a springer spaniel currently but have had 4 or 5 dogs at times as my husband some times helps others out with dog training. My personal choice is they are not allowed in the lounge ( that's where minded children are mainly) that's for two reasons firstly it keeps it cleaner (no muddy paws) and less hairy, secondly I will leave the children in there whilst I pop to the loo or out to the kitchen and wouldn't want the hassle of calling the dogs out as I never leave the children unattended with the dogs as it only takes a second for a dog to turn and snap. (I'm 99% sure my dogs would never hurt a child but you can never be 100% sure as they are animals not machines)
I have only ever lost one enquiry and that was due to the mums allergies.

angeldelight
11-06-2013, 09:42 AM
My dog recently died

But had her a black lab 12 years

I only ever had one parent be put off by me having a dog but she started her child and gopher daughter stayed with me for six years

Angel xx

teacake2
11-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Since having the dogs I have not had one placement, people round here have a phobia about dogs it seems, the dogs are 2 pugs who absolutely adore the two little ones I do have (I set of parents dog owners, the others are farmers).
So when these two little ones go to school (very soon) it doesn't look like I will get any more children.:(:(:(:(
Teacake2

watgem
11-06-2013, 11:00 AM
we have 2 dogs, one dog before I started minding and then she had puppies! the mindees would ask to see the stripes! as they were all black/white and when laid out looked like stripes , and we kept one. I always infrm prospective parents and told Ofsted and they were fine, I have a pet policy and risk assessment, the dogs mostly go upstairs or stay in the kitchen but chidren can pet them under very close supervision with parental permission. My first mindees mum hates dogs and was very nervous, but her LO's love my dogs and enjoy spending time with them and mum is happy as they get their doggy fix with me so she doesn't have to have one. sme of my families have dogs and others would love one but can't for one reason or another so they like the fact that I have lots of pets for their children to interact with without the responsibility or cost!

Happystay
11-06-2013, 01:14 PM
We have a very large Labradoodle,he doesn't molt so is good for allergies he makes a lot of noise when people arrive I am working on this!!!!!to stop him.It doesn't seem to put people off and in fact I think the 2 cats are more of a problem as their tails are so inviting.I am upfront when people phone or e-mail and in all my blurb so everyone is aware of him before they make an appointment.Ofsted make nothing of it even when I had a boxer/collie cross who was a little iffy and had to be excluded if a child would not leave her alone she would growl and then go under the table with a very sad face which said HELP .

littletreasures
11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
I have 2 dogs at the moment.

When I last had my Ofsted inspection I did send my old boy up to my parents house as he had a bit of dementia and would bark for no reason. The other one went and sat by the inspector. I apologised and offered to move him. She was quite happy and spend the rest of the time typing on her computer and stroking the dog!!

I had a family visit on Sunday whose Dad was worried about the dogs. It turns out he was attacked by dogs when he was little. At the end of the visit I offered them an email reference I had from one of my old parents saying how I dealt with her worries with the dogs. He turned round and said He's not worried and it will be lovely for his girls to have them around. Mum phoned me yesterday saying she would love the girls to come and when can she drop the deposit round.

I don't specify on my childcare profile I have animals, but do say when people phone me. I do like people to meet my dogs, before they decide they don't want me as they are so calm around the kids.

I haven't had anyone not choose me because of the dogs.

Roseolivia
11-06-2013, 04:39 PM
My dog died a couple of months ago and miss her so much. Am desperate for another dog, I miss the company of them. I have always had dogs or cats since being a baby so it's strange not to have one here. Hopefully we'll get one soon, it won't replace the one that died but it'll make me less lonely (even though have hubby and 2 kids). I'd also rather give up minding than give up a pet.

donna porter
11-06-2013, 05:15 PM
I have a jack Russell and he can be nervous of the wee ones sometimes but I'm careful not to leave them alone together . Social services are aware of the dog but are happy enough so long as the dog pop is picked up etc x