PDA

View Full Version : scam

Happystay
10-06-2013, 02:41 PM
I was contacted 5 days ago by e-mail some one named Sharon asked if I could do childcare for 2 weeks at the end of June.I e-mailed yes but needed a lot more details .I got a reply with names of 2 children and ages.I then asked her address children's full names D.O.B addresses Dr allergy's fears all the usual information on my forms plus total cost for the 2 weeks.None of this information was forthcoming just a reply saying her secretary has sent me a cheque for the wrong amount so could I pay the excess into her store account where she buys their cloths.She also said she is now on vacation .I assume she is not English because of her grammar ect.Do you think this is a scam?

Rick
10-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I was contacted 5 days ago by e-mail some one named Sharon asked if I could do childcare for 2 weeks at the end of June.I e-mailed yes but needed a lot more details .I got a reply with names of 2 children and ages.I then asked her address children's full names D.O.B addresses Dr allergy's fears all the usual information on my forms plus total cost for the 2 weeks.None of this information was forthcoming just a reply saying her secretary has sent me a cheque for the wrong amount so could I pay the excess into her store account where she buys their cloths.She also said she is now on vacation .I assume she is not English because of her grammar ect.Do you think this is a scam?

Many people have had this email. Definite scam. Do not send any money!

Tealady
10-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Yes. There are other posts regarding this.

Mollymop
10-06-2013, 03:16 PM
I got this email today!! But it was from a Sharon wanting childcare for 2 weeks in July. I replied said I need more info, they gave the children's names and ages and then asked me to reply. I found it very strange, the whole way it was written etc.

Thanks Rick for sharing this on Independant childminders on facebook or I wouldn't have known it was a scam

sarah707
10-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Absolutely a scam. I hope nobody falls for it :(

Rick
10-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Absolutely a scam. I hope nobody falls for it :(

I've put a message on the FB group as well and lots of people have seen it and replied so hopefully noone will get taken in by it.

I think everyone who has received an email should reply to these people and say they will contact the police. They will know they have been rumbled and hopefully will stop because eventually they will get a CM who isn't on the forum or FB.

beachgirl29
10-06-2013, 09:07 PM
you should never have to give money to someone who should be paying you and wouldn't you arrange a visit that's the next step not more details over email??

horrible that childminders are being the target for this...its not like we have lots of money to spare.

Chatterbox Childcare
10-06-2013, 11:24 PM
I think this is so funny - do they really think we are that stupid

I had a lady who contacted me via childcare.co.uk and her name is Sharon Simpkins so beware of her.

I am answering the lady and playing her along - hook, line and sinker

I am so mean - ha ha ha

smurfette
11-06-2013, 07:23 AM
I replied to the email and said I would be contacting the police and the email bounced back!

Rick
11-06-2013, 07:28 AM

I had a lady who contacted me via childcare.co.uk and her name is Sharon Simpkins so beware of her.

I am so mean - ha ha ha

Keep going please! Make them realise this is a waste of their time!

So they are purchasing gold membership as well....ridiculous.

P.s. I hope there isn't a real Sarah Simpkins looking for childcare! :laughing:

Rick
11-06-2013, 07:29 AM
I replied to the email and said I would be contacting the police and the email bounced back!

Crazy! :laughing:

CH1957
11-06-2013, 07:40 AM

I am so mean - ha ha ha

Thats exactly what I did! lol Funnily enough I didnt hear any more from her. I also reported it to my D.O. and she has emailed all the CM's in my area to let them know.

Chatterbox Childcare
11-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Keep going please! Make them realise this is a waste of their time!

So they are purchasing gold membership as well....ridiculous.

P.s. I hope there isn't a real Sarah Simpkins looking for childcare! :laughing:

This person actually replied to me and asked me to contact a friend who needed help with a french email address and then she wanted copying in too...

Richard
11-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Please could you let me know the screen name of the member on the Childcare.co.uk website and we will take immediate action if this person is on our website.

I couldn't find a member with the screen name Sharon Simpkins

Richard

This person actually replied to me and asked me to contact a friend who needed help with a french email address and then she wanted copying in too...

sing-low
11-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Please could you let me know the screen name of the member on the Childcare.co.uk website and we will take immediate action if this person is on our website.

I couldn't find a member with the screen name Sharon Simpkins

Richard
Just checked my childcare.co.uk profile and I'm fairly certain the people who have accessed my profile (only 4 of them) are genuine. Two I've had enquiries from (not scam ones) and the others are based near me. I received this scam email yesterday or the day before and assumed it came via the Families Information Service as my details have only just gone live on that.

Richard
11-06-2013, 08:31 AM
We have lots of procedures in place to help prevent scammers on Childcare.co.uk and haven't had any direct reports about this yet. If anyone has had a message from a scammer via our website please do let me know so I can investigate.