PDA

View Full Version : Potty training & soiled pants - sorry tmi!

muffins
10-06-2013, 10:54 AM
What do you with them? Normally I would rinse & bag up for home, but I've just had to change some that if was my own childs they would've gone straight in the bin outside. I feel sick now! I couldn't clean them just bagged them up, what now? Give back to parents like that or bin them!

Also this child is potty training and has been for about 6wks now, usually wears a pull up at mine. Hasn't been wet in all that time but continues to soil them, today we're trying pants. If continues to soil pants would you put back in pull ups or continue with pants??

:huh:

Joda
10-06-2013, 12:08 PM
I just stick them in a nappy bag (2 bags if necessary!). If the pants are really bad I will throw them in the bin - I tell parents this when we discuss toilet training their child.
I must admit I find pull-ups useless for toilet training and I have always put the mindee's straight into pants - (usually just use pull-ups for when we go out in the first few days). I do have a 'rule' that if a child has more than 2 consecutive 'accidents' in the day then they have to go back into nappies as they are possibly not quite 'ready' for toilet training (I'm happy to support parents if they want to continue at home though) - as I have carpets and crawling babies.

Stapleton83
10-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I would double bag the pants - grim and leave them outside somewhere with a view to binning them.

I have to say my youngest DD cracked the wee bit but found poo much more difficult. I would stick at it but give yourself a timescale to try and get him sorted and agree it with the parents; at the end of the day you can't be handling soiled pants three times a day.

Good luck.

Samx

Mouse
10-06-2013, 12:16 PM
At the beginning of potty training I ask parents what they want me to do with an soiled pants. The options are I put them in a bag as they are, or I bin them if they are really bad. I don't offer to rinse them out, although I probably would do if they weren't too bad. Most parents agree to have them bagged if not too bad & binned if very bad.

Like Joda, I give two chances. After 2 accidents they're back in pull-ups or nappies. It would be a shame to put your mindee back in nappies if he is dry through the day, but you can't really take the chance of him pooing all the time. As a rule I don't like pull-ups, but they may be a good idea for him. Encourage him to use them like pants, but at least he's got them on if he should poo.

Koala
10-06-2013, 12:21 PM
I warn parents if they are soiled badly , I will cut them off and throw them in the bin, It can be a nasty and dirty job pulling poopy pants down legs and over feet, err yuck, the poopy can go everywhere and one can't help but be disgusted and thats no good for everyone.

If they arn't too bad I will bag them for parents, I will not rinse, wash or even scoop poop off them unless it's a posh one and can be tippied into loo, I can't think of anything worse than to scrape yuck off pants.

Parents understand and often do the same, it's not worth the indignity of trying to save a pair of pants.

But if it's continuous pooing, I would advise pull ups until toilet poos are made. It's more hygienic for all concerned.

little chickee
10-06-2013, 01:40 PM
If poop can be tipped into toilet I do so and bag up pants.
If not tippable ( loose etc) pants go straight to the bin.

i would try for 1 more day in pants, if he poops in pants tomorrow its into pull ups until he can consistently poop on the toilet with no accidents.

SammySplodger
10-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm finding this thread fascinating :-D as my Mindees are still all in nappies, but aware I'll be potty training 3 all at the same time next year. Eeeek!

I have quite a strong stomach for human waste generally and I think I'll probably double bag, keep in lidded bucket and hand them over at the end of the day. With my own 2 children I rarely threw pants away (too mean!).

Might consider using dog poo bags (Snappies Doggie Doos) as these are more robust and have far better deodorising qualities than bog-standard (pardon the pun) nappy bags.

Memina
10-06-2013, 03:48 PM
My dd went through this. Potty trained at 18 months and she got the wee down really quickly however the poo took a little longer.

I bag n bin personally unless parents explicitly state they want them then I tripple bag and hand it over!

bindy
10-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Once potty training starts, I never, never go back! I tell parents, , the child has to be ready, if you thing he/she is not do not start, it is so unfair for the child. They get completely mixed up/confused with starting and stopping. It does not matter if they have 6 pees in pants a day , never, go back! I don't even put useless pull ups on if we go out, just like a nappy if you aske me.

VeggieSausage
10-06-2013, 08:26 PM
I think there was something on the forum a few months ago that you should not rinse poo-ey (spelling? lol) pants but shoudl bag and return.....so I say bag and return peoples. I love the idea that you warn parents if they are really bad they will be cut off!!! lol

muffins
10-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all your replies:thumbsup:
I told Mum they were wrapped up out in the garden (obv not in the kids area) and if they had of been my sons I would have binned them so she was to do with them what she liked, she put them straight in my wheelie bin!

I do agree that pull ups can be very confusing for some children but on the other hand some children seem to be ok with them. My DD was dry during the day for 6mths before she got the hang of poo's, she was scared for some reason and if I knew she needed to go she wouldn't sit on the loo or potty. If I put pants on her she wouldn't go for days and got a sore tummy but would go in pull ups and not wet them so we just took her lead and eventually she used the loo for poos aswell. I certainly wouldn't have wanted them to have to deal with soiled pants at pre-school and wouldn't have wanted her to have o go through that either!

I think there was something on the forum a few months ago that you should not rinse poo-ey (spelling? lol) pants but shoudl bag and return.....so I say bag and return peoples. I love the idea that you warn parents if they are really bad they will be cut off!!! lol

muffins
10-06-2013, 09:17 PM
I told Mum they were wrapped up out in the garden (obv not in the kids area) and if they had of been my sons I would have binned them so she was to do with them what she liked, she put them straight in my wheelie bin!

I do agree that pull ups can be very confusing for some children but on the other hand some children seem to be ok with them. My DD was dry during the day for 6mths before she got the hang of poo's, she was scared for some reason and if I knew she needed to go she wouldn't sit on the loo or potty. If I put pants on her she wouldn't go for days and got a sore tummy but would go in pull ups and not wet them so we just took her lead and eventually she used the loo for poos aswell. I certainly wouldn't have wanted them to have to deal with soiled pants at pre-school and wouldn't have wanted her to have o go through that either!

As for cutting the pants off, with the pair I had to deal with today the thought crossed my mind!

emma04
11-06-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm finding this thread fascinating :-D as my Mindees are still all in nappies, but aware I'll be potty training 3 all at the same time next year. Eeeek!

I have quite a strong stomach for human waste generally and I think I'll probably double bag, keep in lidded bucket and hand them over at the end of the day. With my own 2 children I rarely threw pants away (too mean!).

Might consider using dog poo bags (Snappies Doggie Doos) as these are more robust and have far better deodorising qualities than bog-standard (pardon the pun) nappy bags.

I potty trained 3x 2.5 year olds recently and it was quite easy. Every time I asked one if they needed a wee, they all said yes and we used the potty like a conveyer belt!! This also helped with holding on, as they had to wait for one to finish before they got their turn!! Lol

bindy
11-06-2013, 09:08 PM

As for cutting the pants off, with the pair I had to deal with today the thought crossed my mind!

It's so common, with poo. Lots of children are Ok doing wees but have problems doing poos. I can understand using pull ups for your daughter , what ever works! It's no good getting little ones stressed out and like you say it does come!