PDA

View Full Version : Ratios - guidance needed about numbers

mrsbris
10-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi
I'm new to the forum, so hi! and hope you can help.

I have a new mindee starting in a few weeks. However the dates we suggested I'll have four under fives (ranging in age 16 months - 4 year) for an hour for school drop off on one day, and another days for 2 hours at school pick up. I won't have any more than 6 children in total with the school picks up.

Do I:
1. Go back to the new mindee parents and make alternative arrangements for those days?
2. Do a risk assessment involving all parents whose children will be in my care that day so they are aware of the changes in ratios? Demonstrating to them how I'll keep all children safe, i.e. using buggies, reins etc.

I'd appreciate any guidance you can give.

Thanks

mrsbris

Mouse
10-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Is the 4 year old in full time school?

If they are you can count them, for the purpose of ratios, as being out of the EYFS. So if you had a 16mth old, 20mth old, 3yr old & a 4yr old in full time school, you could count that as 3 Early Years children and 1 out of the Early Years.

If none of them are at full time school you will not be able to offer a space as you do not have a spare early years vacancy.

mrsbris
10-06-2013, 11:16 AM
No the four year old is at nursery all day. There are 2 full time school children I drop off/pick up. Then two 3 year olds. The new mindee will be 16 months.

moggy
10-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi
I'm new to the forum, so hi! and hope you can help.

I have a new mindee starting in a few weeks. However the dates we suggested I'll have four under fives (ranging in age 16 months - 4 year) for an hour for school drop off on one day, and another days for 2 hours at school pick up. I won't have any more than 6 children in total with the school picks up.

Do I:
1. Go back to the new mindee parents and make alternative arrangements for those days?
2. Do a risk assessment involving all parents whose children will be in my care that day so they are aware of the changes in ratios? Demonstrating to them how I'll keep all children safe, i.e. using buggies, reins etc.

I'd appreciate any guidance you can give.

Thanks

mrsbris

If none are in full-time school and one is a new child then it is not possible. It is new business so not allowed, even if you risk assess it and ask parents.

mrsbris
11-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks both for your help. I think I was leaning towards re-offering other days instead anyway... more than six for even an hour is a bit scary!!!!
thanks again
mrsbris