PDA

View Full Version : Split level house

unalindura77
10-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I am wondering if any of you have a split level house?

My kitchen is downstairs one floor down from the lounge and I'm wondering if this could be a problem while potentially caring for 3 under 1's. I am planning to cook meals in advance and heat up. In briefing session was told to bring children in to kitchen and put in high chairs and to participate in some way..do any of you do this?

Also I was thinking of putting a travel cot/playpen in to the hall area next to the kitchen for when I need the loo/need to cook.

One other thing, my front door is all the way at the bottom of the house. How will I navegate parents coming to collect their children and me taking care of the others upstairs? Any idea's?

Thank you !

moggy
10-06-2013, 12:48 PM
I am wondering if any of you have a split level house?

My kitchen is downstairs one floor down from the lounge and I'm wondering if this could be a problem while potentially caring for 3 under 1's. I am planning to cook meals in advance and heat up. In briefing session was told to bring children in to kitchen and put in high chairs and to participate in some way..do any of you do this?

Also I was thinking of putting a travel cot/playpen in to the hall area next to the kitchen for when I need the loo/need to cook.

One other thing, my front door is all the way at the bottom of the house. How will I navegate parents coming to collect their children and me taking care of the others upstairs? Any idea's?

Thank you !

I would not want to be on a different floor to the children for any more than a quick dash up to put one in cot etc. I would not be happy warming up food, serving up etc on a different floor. I would find a way to get the children on the same floor as you in the kitchen- in hall (is it a safe place?) in highchairs in kitchen etc.

Parents pick-up/drop-off- I would have parents come up to lounge to drop off/pick-up if other child up there, unless I know children well and sure all OK. But it is important to be able to take a few minutes to talk to parents at start/end of day and I would not be wanting to rush to get back to see what other children doing, parent may need to discuss something important. At end of day children often tired and grumpy too so may want to be with you rather than left alone upstairs.

You need to consider all this when taking on each child, risk assess carefully. But also, relax as you will find ways of doing things as you go along. I use a sling (ring-sling) a lot to carry a baby hands-free, that might be helpful in your circumstances too if you have a little one to deal with.

jackie 7
10-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Will you have the 4 under 1 on any of the same day? Unless siblings you can only have 1 under 1

unalindura77
10-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Sorry Jackie I meant 3 under 3's!:blush:

unalindura77
10-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Moggy - thanks so much for the suggestions and thoughts.
I think it would be a good investment for me to have a sling and also perhaps either high chair/travel cots etc in hall and next to front door too!

It does make things tricky as when I go to answer door to parents the lounge is up on next floor so may have to come down with all children! Hmmm need to think more about this one!

Thanks again for your thoughts it really helps being able to ask opinions!

munch149
10-06-2013, 03:09 PM
When answering the door could you not put children in cots upstairs. Run down as open door. Make parents come back up to chat then repeat

If they all go at the same time I would just make sure we are all downstairs ready to go when doorbell does. You could always sit them in high chairs with some crayons or some tactile play like rice/cornflakes/pasta whilst you wait. Parents will then also come in to seeing there children doing an activity

unalindura77
10-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks Katrickey, thats a good idea, its annoying though that my hall is very long but narrow! I do have a space in between the staircase thats quite large so could use that instead......