PDA

View Full Version : Food hygiene

Rachel1990
10-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Hi I have a level 1 basic food hygiene certificate will this be enough to cook meals or do I need a higher level? Thanks in advance xxx

Simona
16-06-2013, 09:13 AM
As a cm cooking meals is part of your service...the level of your certificate should not prevent you from cooking meals

From my understanding it is how you follow simple rules when cooking, safe storage, handling etc by following the hygiene guidelines...not sure if that makes sense...someone may explain better.

You can also attend a food and Hygiene training course in your area which will show your competence

bunyip
16-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi Rachel :waving:

You need to contact your local authority environmental health officer. They will almost certainly expect you to register as a food business and will carry out a straightforward inspection of your premises together with a simple interview to assess your knowledge and practice. Sounds daunting, but really it isn't. I got the top rating, which left Mrs Bunyip peeing her pants with laughter (she reckons I can't boil an egg cos I'd burn the water. :blush:)

You're classed as a 'food business' if you provide anything more than fresh water, so it's pretty much unavoidable.

You'l need a copy of Safer food, better business for childminders. You can download the pack from the link:
Food Standards Agency - Safer food, better business for childminders (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/#.Ub2LK_nvtu8)

or phone the Food Standards Agency on 020 7276 8829 to enquire about a printed copy, if they still have stock.

Each LA has it's own requirements, so call them to ask. :)

Rick
16-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Mine sent a questionnaire and then a 'very good' rating certificate without inspection I guess I could be inspected especially if I reported an outbreak of food poisoning