PDA

View Full Version : I've got Mumps!!

Fraggle1
09-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Hello all,

As the title says I've got Mumps! I had it when I was little so hopefully it is just a mild dose, it's more my glands that have swollen, feel fine apart from that.

Anyway, on the information my nurse gave me it says it's best to stay off work for 5 days after the glands have come up. But, the nurse also said it's giving the parents of my mindee's an informed choice. She said I would of been infectious 14-25 days anyway so they would of been exposed already. Both of my mindee's have had the MMR. Would you say I am ok to say it's up them if they bring them this week as long as I make them aware of the risks etc...?

Many thanks

shortstuff
09-06-2013, 11:24 AM
poor you, I hope you feel better soon x

Im sorry I dont have any advice regarding mumps as i never had it x

Fraggle1
09-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Awww thankyou Gail x

munch149
09-06-2013, 11:40 AM
If they've already been exposed I would say its fine to give them choice. They can then do some research themselves. My daughter recently had hand foot and mouth and I just told parents and let them decide. All but one chose to come.

You might want to make them sign something to say they've been told so it can't come back on you if the child does get it

Fraggle1
09-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Thankyou - I will give them a choice I think - thanks :) x

FussyElmo
09-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Personally I would be shutting. Even though your mindees have had their mmr they could still get it and eould then expect you to look aftet them.

Isnt mumps a notifiable disease?

Mrs Scrubbit
09-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Oh poor you, glad to hear that you are not suffering too much. I remember looking like a hamster when I had it years ago! I would say that if you feel able and willing to work then its fine to let the parents decide xx

Mrs Scrubbit
09-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Personally I would be shutting. Even though your mindees have had their mmr they could still get it and eould then expect you to look aftet them.

Isnt mumps a notifiable disease?

Oops yes it is -I would close ,forget what I posted earlier!xx

Fraggle1
09-06-2013, 12:41 PM
It is notifiable but the nurse is notifying them so don't think I need to do it aswell? I have given the parents the bumpf to read through and have asked that if they decide to send there children in then they must sign a disclaimer to say I advised them off the risks.
Ooooo it's so painful isn't it? Didn't really realise what happens when you get it but yes, I look like a hamster too! Apart from that I have no other symtoms xx

Fraggle1
09-06-2013, 12:43 PM
oh no, don't know what to do now. It's only because the nurse actually said for them to make an informed choice arggghhhh. I'll see what the parents reply is xx

FussyElmo
09-06-2013, 01:24 PM
I always work on the principle of if I would refuse a mindee because of an illness I wont open if me or mine have the same illness.

Koala
09-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I would close if I was aware that I had a contagious disease, even though prior to knowing others could have been infected.

The fact is you know now and you have a responsibility to safeguard everyone as best you can, no matter what your nurse says, I bet she wouldn't put it in writing that the children wouldn't be at risk!

Also asking parents to sign a disclaimer that you advised them of the risks does not withdraw your responsibility it just confirms that you are willing to put the children at risk and asking parents to do the same.

And if you were to open whilst having mumps it provides an expectation that parents can send their children with similar ailments which is not good.

Sorry to disagree with the situation especially when you are unwell, but just imagine how you would feel if the children were effected!!

Get well soon.

Fraggle1
09-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all your advice guys. I've decided to shut...parents have got back to me and are fine - phew! It now means I can relax and feel sorry for myself rather than feeling bad for the parents. Thanks again for your advice :) xx

sarah707
09-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Good decision! Get yourself right - sometimes you need to put yourself first.

Feel better soon xx

Fraggle1
09-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Your right Sarah, I was worrying so much about how the parents were going to manage I forgot about me! Thanks :) xx

The Juggler
09-06-2013, 08:23 PM
hope you feel better soon. put your feet up xx

sing-low
09-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Hope you don't have it too bad. Get well soon.

Ballette
09-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Get well soon xx

hectors house
10-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Hope you feel better soon, just wondered have you had a swab done to confirm it is mumps as I had a mindee many years ago who the doctor said had mumps (child hadn't had his MMR yet), so I excluded him and notified Ofsted that a child in my setting had mumps, I notified all the parents at the toddler group we went to with children under the MMR age that they may have been in contact with child with mumps - and then the swab test came back saying it wasn't mumps after all - must just have been a glandular virus.

Also one of my own daughters had mumps when she was 3 (before MMR injection was introduced) she later had the MMR when her little sister had it, but still went down with terrible swollen glands in neck and stomach when she was 6 - school sent her home saying it was mumps but doctors said as she had already had it and MMR that it couldn't have been.

Fraggle1
12-06-2013, 11:18 AM
sorry hun, only just seen this....

The nurse said I have all the symtoms, she also said that the MMR is not 100% so even if you've had it you can still get it. I think I had mumps when I was younger so I'm thinking I've got it mild although it doesn't feel like it lol. Just got a swab kit from HPA this morning so should find out 4-6 weeks for sure. My face is still looking like a hamster - not impressed, and it hurts after I've eaten, boohoo. Thanks for the well wishes :) x

angeldelight
12-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Hello all,

As the title says I've got Mumps! I had it when I was little so hopefully it is just a mild dose, it's more my glands that have swollen, feel fine apart from that.

Anyway, on the information my nurse gave me it says it's best to stay off work for 5 days after the glands have come up. But, the nurse also said it's giving the parents of my mindee's an informed choice. She said I would of been infectious 14-25 days anyway so they would of been exposed already. Both of my mindee's have had the MMR. Would you say I am ok to say it's up them if they bring them this week as long as I make them aware of the risks etc...?

Many thanks

Ouch I had this as a child and adult I could not have worked I was in soooo much pain

Concentrate on you and get well soon

Angel xxx