PDA

View Full Version : Help please! Trouble ahead!

Tibbycat
08-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping you could help me. I newlywed just to Childminder And so far, so good. I've had lots of interest and have been in the position to turn business down. I have a son who is nearly one in just a few days and have taken on another boy the same age which is all working very well. I had interest just as I registered for a little girl the same age but due to ratios obviously I couldn't take her until my own son turned one first. I explained clearly I couldn't take her until she turned one which Mum accepted and chose a temporary Childminder which happens to be a friend of mine. My friend has been absolutely fine about this and was happy to take on the short-term contract. However, she has since told me that this parent has become a really bad payer, she is constantly having to chase payment and she is becoming very difficult in that they are constantly requesting for my friend, the temporary Childminder to drop off the little girl at a moments notice on a regular basis just because they have friends round! The mother has also been posting on Facebook explaining about financial difficulties and how they are currently only just breaking even and struggling to pay for their childcare! I am aware that I'm actually more expensive as I offer more than my friend who is the Childminder, so how are they going to afford my services If they are struggling already!

Recently the mother contacted me as she is a teacher and was asking if she could get out of paying during school holidays. A very difficult one as I am aware that she is still being paid in full but in my mind I was thinking about charging perhaps 50%...however... it's another hurdle and more doubts in my mind.

I know this little girl's mother through my money friend circles and obviously don't want to rock the boat but I've had massive second thoughts as I can't afford to take on a child that ends up being a non-payer. Has anyone had a similar situation and how are they etched it got out of caring this child?

Many thanks!

Allie
08-06-2013, 09:14 PM
tell her you charge full in school holidays (lots of us do) and i expect she will go somewhere else

Allie

Tibbycat
08-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Excuse the typos...dictated the message quickly to test the new iPhone! Clearly not a success! :)

claireclaire
08-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Maybe you could say that due to your own financial reasons you have to charge for the holidays as she is a full time space. If mum wants a part time space ( term time only) then you'd have to decline her place as its not what you agreed and you can't afford to do it? Worth a try. Good luck

08-06-2013, 09:42 PM
I had a similar situation recently with a mum that always paid late, constantly argued over the conditions of her term time contract and would always collect LO late. In the end it really got me down as it always felt like a battle :(. They ended up giving notice saying that they felt we were always having disagreements and I must admit that I cheered for joy and never looked back! I would just tell this parent that circumstances have changed and u r now unable to offer her a space. U don't have to give reason.....best of luck xx

Maza
08-06-2013, 10:51 PM
If you do take her on make sure you get paid in advance. Also, make sure you give her a copy of your late payment policy. As a teacher she will be getting paid in the holidays (unless she is a temp). Why should you be out of pocket with every holiday? There are some term time only childminders out there who she could look at if she is really struggling. Seriously though - payment in advance! x

bunyip
09-06-2013, 10:00 AM
If you do take her on make sure you get paid in advance. Also, make sure you give her a copy of your late payment policy. As a teacher she will be getting paid in the holidays (unless she is a temp). Why should you be out of pocket with every holiday? There are some term time only childminders out there who she could look at if she is really struggling. Seriously though - payment in advance! x

I agree absolutely.

Insist on payment in advance, on time, every time, every client. No money = no childcare, with no exceptions. This needs to go in your policies and all your contracts. Parent can either accept this or go mess someone else about. Once they know they will be turned away at the doorstep for failure to pay, you become a priority payment, not just an after-thought.

There are far too many threads (usual several at any one time) on this forum where CMs get st1ffed because they allowed payment in arrears. Harsh as it sounds, this only happens cos CMs allow it to happen.

You're lucky that you've been tipped off ahead of the problem arising. So it will be nobody else's fault if you let it happen to you. :thumbsup:

shortstuff
09-06-2013, 10:58 AM
I so agree with Bunyip, all of my families pay me in advance, so long as they communicate with me and I accept their excuses i will give them a very small bit of leeway but that is it. Just this month i resent my invoices on pay day as only 2 out of 9 families had actually paid. I got paid that day by all who could but Monday for those who couldn't.